Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 15 Sep 11, 08:21 AM  
Link to this Post

Matt & Sam's Orlando Adventure 2010! - Day 15 - Home

Matt and Sam's Orlando Adventure 2010 – Day 15 – Home and Final Thoughts!

After an uneventful flight (although we both watched Kick Ass and that was superb!) we landed at Manchester at 9.30am Sunday morning. We were both tired, and I was dying to wash my hair – but we had more pressing matters – telling the family about our engagement!

After collecting cases, and making a quick call to my parents (not saying a word, just arranging to pop over!) we grabbed a bus back to the long-stay car park and freed Gertrude from her two weeks of boredom. Matt was convinced she wouldn't start (she's 13 years old and has her off days!) but she revved up (for revved up, read coughed) fine and we were soon on the motorway heading home.

We decided to call at the services about 30 minutes from home as we were both starving and realised we had no food at home. Burger King bought, and coffee drank, we started to feel slightly more awake and excited to break the news to the parents.

But then it went wrong. 30 minutes from home, so close to my lovely shower, Gertrude the 13-year-old car decided that starting wasn’t on her agenda and sat spluttering in the car park. NIGHTMARE. Matt fiddled and prodded about under the bonnet while I sat on hold for my breakdown cover, swearing at the jolly, largely inappropriate hold-music. But then…success! She started, and I nearly did a victory lap around the car park.

We were soon home, showered, and heading to my Mum and Dad's to break the news. I had thought over how to do it, what to say… in the end I burst through into their living room and shouting 'I'm engaged!', thrusting my ring finger into their faces. My mum screamed and hugged me, my dad joined in but added 'she's your problem now Matt!'. Charming.

We told the story of how it happened (Mum cried, so then I cried too) and chatted about everything we'd done and all the differences (my Mum and Dad haven’t been since 2004)…it was lovely to relive it. We then went for dinner with Matt's Dad and step-mum, who were equally excited – it was quite an emotional day!

Final Thoughts

So here we are, over a year since the trip (I'm ashamed of my report-writing tardiness, truly) and yet little memories and images still pop into both of our heads regularly! It was, without a doubt, the best holiday we have ever had together, and I can’t put into words how good it felt to see months of planning fall into place to deliver a wonderful two weeks.

Of course, none of my planning would have come to fruition without the Dibb - the ultimate resource for anyone heading to Orlando! I recommend it to everyone that books a trip.

We won't be returning to WDW for a few years, unfortunately – although we've both agreed that if we win the lottery our first move will be to book a trip! For now, we have other things to put our money towards - getting married, moving house and booking the California road trip we've promised ourselves!

We're tying the knot next September at a beautiful manor house hotel and can't wait. We're saving like mad for the big day, but the plans are coming along wonderfully so far and both our families are looking forward to it. It's not a big fat Disney wedding – sorry to disappoint! – but we will have Mickey and Minnie cake toppers as a throwback to our magical engagement (or maybe even Lady and the Tramp, our favourite characters!).

So, for now, WDW is not on the horizon – but that will make it all the more exciting when we do return.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who has read and commented on this trippie – and apologise profusely for the absurd amount of time it has taken to complete! Your words have been lovely and its been a pleasure to share our magical trip with you all!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 11, 11:32 AM  
Link to this Post
orlandosgr8
Imagineer

orlandosgr8's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Lovely trip report, I've really enjoyed reading it and happy planning for your wedding and future trips

Orlando 02,04,06,07,08,10,11,12,13,14,16, 18 &
New York 06, 11 and Smoky Mountains 14
orlandosgr8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 11, 08:29 PM  
Link to this Post
chaffey
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 8
Thanks Sam for taking the time to share your magical memories with us. Wishing your all the luck in the world for your up coming wedding and the delights that it will bring.
chaffey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 11, 09:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Blue Kangaroo
Very Serious Dibber

Thanks for the trippy, Sam. It's been great to read. Congrats on the wedding too. I got hitched (to a yorkshireman, in fact) last year, so I know how much planning and saving you'll be doing right now.

Can you post a photo of your tiny dog in its tiny t-shirt? I'd love to see it! Sounds irresistible!

Liz
ASMu - Mar 2003 POFQ & CSR - May/Jun 2005 SSR - Aug/Sep 2008, Nov 2011, Apr 2013 and Aug 2015 POR - Nov 2009 GF Club Level for one night only Aug 2015 AoA - Aug 2016, Aug 2017 AKL - May/Jun 2018 BC and WL Aug 2022
Blue Kangaroo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List