Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 8 Nov 19, 11:56 PM  
Link to this Post
JoS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
No. It was the lower price when the flight was taxiing into LAX (as we were checking it). By the time we’d got to the kerb with our bags we pressed ‘book’ and it had basically doubled. But it’s not like we really had a choice.
That’s the way I see it. It will cost whatever, as we won’t have a car. I am still having nightmares after our last experience driving into LA from Vegas. Lol
JoS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 19, 12:07 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Tweety1 View Post
I looked at staying in Marina Del Rey as SM is expensive(5 of us). On my search El Segundo came up and it’s £450 for 3 nights with airport shuttle and breakfast for us all (that’s in a Hyatt property and gets good reviews). I thought that price is reasonable as it’s at least £250 pn elsewhere with no breakfast. What I dont know is this an alright area. I want to go to SM and Uber to Venice is around $20. So in my calculations I’m trying to work out is it cost effective to do it this way (ie will I spend more on transport than hiring) and how do you get from SM to Hollywood to WB
Thank you for your help I really appreciate it. When we went last we stayed in Burbank parked the car and didn’t move it. We did a day tour and Uber to universal
I haven't stayed in El Segundo, but been through it a few times on the way to friends. The east side of it is very commercial, the west is residential. It was as I understand it set up as a workers town for the Chevron Power Station to the south of it.

It still seemed to have that old town feel to it. There is of course the beach, but its a bit of a walk to get to it if not driving. Its also one of the few beach areas that allow RV's to park overnight.

I don't think I would have an issues staying there, but obviously not researched it.

Transport wise, whilst not right on top of it, but close by is the Metro Green Line. You could Uber to that, then get the Metro using the Green and Blue lines to get close to Hollywood are (red line swap will get you even closer) and then just Uber the other end. Have done similar before and it worked fine when there was a major hold up on the drive we would have taken. So do think about a mix of public and ride share, if you would feel comfortable with that.

There really isn't necessarily a right area to stay in LA as things can be so spread out. Sometimes its a case of balancing location vs price.

Am I assuming correctly that you only plan to head across to the East side area for 1 day to do the Hollywood sights and WB Studio tour? If so, can't se being based in El Segundo being too much of an issue as it will only be one day you will be making the journey (between 1-2 hours each way depending on transport method).

Quite like the idea of staying somewhere a bit different on the west side. We are usually basing ourselves in some different places every year, so will be interested to hear how you do find it.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 19, 12:10 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Originally Posted by JoS View Post
That’s the way I see it. It will cost whatever, as we won’t have a car. I am still having nightmares after our last experience driving into LA from Vegas. Lol
What didn't you like JoS? Was it just the shear volume? If so, did you stick to street level, or try to use the highways?

I know many really don't like the highways, can understand why, they drive nose to tail no matter what speed as they seem frightened someone might get in front of them.

When we were looking to LAX to Anaheim transfers a couple of years ago, a town car from Super Shuttle wasn't really any different from what the true price of an Uber would be. This had the advantage of being pre-booked for the right number of people and luggage. May be worth considering as an alternative.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 19, 01:41 PM  
Link to this Post
JoS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by 400ixl View Post
What didn't you like JoS? Was it just the shear volume? If so, did you stick to street level, or try to use the highways?

I know many really don't like the highways, can understand why, they drive nose to tail no matter what speed as they seem frightened someone might get in front of them.

When we were looking to LAX to Anaheim transfers a couple of years ago, a town car from Super Shuttle wasn't really any different from what the true price of an Uber would be. This had the advantage of being pre-booked for the right number of people and luggage. May be worth considering as an alternative.
Thanks for that advice 400ixl. I will price a town car. At least I
will have peace of mind knowing its there. As for the driving. I wasnt actually driving and I was very scared. I have driven in florida hundreds of times, as well as many other states, like Vegas, Utah, Boston etc and was just so scared in LA. Yes it was the highways. Jam packed with cars and obviously people with a death wish. lol
I said I would never ever go back. lol Gave in and we are having 3 days in LA before our cruise. At least if we hire a town car we dont have to drive and I shall have a bottle of Vodka in the back of car to drink lol

Edited at 05:39 PM.
JoS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 19, 05:18 PM  
Link to this Post
mr-paul
slightly serious Dibber

For me, a SuperShuttle down to Anaheim was $22 including a tip. Though I was travelling solo, so if you're a whole family an Uber may be more economical.

For me, there is no reason to have a car while you're down at DLR. What's the point paying for the hire if you're just going to be in parks all day?

It depends how much you're travelling around California, but if you're sticking to Anaheim and LA I really don't see the need for a car. I got a train up from Anaheim to LA, then once you're there you can use the Metro, buses and cabs. I would say a car is only really necessary if you're travelling further afield.

The train up to LA Union station was only $8.75, so definitely a method of transport to consider over a cab or hire car.
mr-paul is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 19, 06:24 PM  
Link to this Post
dvc
Imagineer

dvc's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We booked our first night at an hotel near the airport and the car hire depot. We got the hotels shuttle to the hotel and next morning 3 of us walked 15 minutes to collect the car and the others in the hotel lobby with the luggage until they returned. It meant that we got a good nights sleep before we ventured out into the LA traffic in an unfamiliar car!
dvc is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 19, 06:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by 400ixl View Post
I haven't stayed in El Segundo, but been through it a few times on the way to friends. The east side of it is very commercial, the west is residential. It was as I understand it set up as a workers town for the Chevron Power Station to the south of it.

It still seemed to have that old town feel to it. There is of course the beach, but its a bit of a walk to get to it if not driving. Its also one of the few beach areas that allow RV's to park overnight.

I don't think I would have an issues staying there, but obviously not researched it.

Transport wise, whilst not right on top of it, but close by is the Metro Green Line. You could Uber to that, then get the Metro using the Green and Blue lines to get close to Hollywood are (red line swap will get you even closer) and then just Uber the other end. Have done similar before and it worked fine when there was a major hold up on the drive we would have taken. So do think about a mix of public and ride share, if you would feel comfortable with that.

There really isn't necessarily a right area to stay in LA as things can be so spread out. Sometimes its a case of balancing location vs price.

Am I assuming correctly that you only plan to head across to the East side area for 1 day to do the Hollywood sights and WB Studio tour? If so, can't se being based in El Segundo being too much of an issue as it will only be one day you will be making the journey (between 1-2 hours each way depending on transport method).

Quite like the idea of staying somewhere a bit different on the west side. We are usually basing ourselves in some different places every year, so will be interested to hear how you do find it.
So to get to WB do you suggest going to Hollywood and then onto WB? Last time we did a private day tour which was great but didn’t get enough leisure time to walk the walk of fame, farmers market, grove. The kids would like to go bk to WB Studios. I think this would easily take a day. Then another day just mooch Venice/Sandra monica. I google mapped to SM and there seemed to be a direct bus think it was number 3. I read a thread that was saying even though public transport may take longer you aren’t driving around looking to part etc however without doubt it’s more convenient. Looked again for hotels marina Del Rey area all £250 and more so would have a bit more ‘budget’ for Uber’s. As a comparison this is £450 with breakfast so saving £300 and get food.I’m glad to hear it’s not a hell hole but I did read up and it sounded nice. I might email the hotel too who will know more about public transport(or should)
Old 9 Nov 19, 10:04 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

I would combine WB and Hollywood to only do the trip once. Do an early WB tour and then you have the rest of the day.

For Venice Beach to Santa Monica depending on your group maybe look to see if you can hire bikes. It's not that far and there is a cycle route along the beach.
Old 17 Nov 19, 09:48 AM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
No. It was the lower price when the flight was taxiing into LAX (as we were checking it). By the time we’d got to the kerb with our bags we pressed ‘book’ and it had basically doubled. But it’s not like we really had a choice.
Most likely because of demand , I usually refresh when this happens and it often adjusts again or I wait a while
Old 18 Nov 19, 05:58 AM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by lizzie145 View Post
Most likely because of demand , I usually refresh when this happens and it often adjusts again or I wait a while
Absolutely it was surge pricing. But we had a stopover of less than 18 hours, LAX was gridlocked and we wanted to get to Trader Sam’s before it closed. So I wasn’t waiting :-)