Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 8 Nov 19, 04:56 PM  
Link to this Post
JoS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
I’m afraid it was 8.50pm but it was a Friday night and our driver said it was always crazy on a Friday evening (no idea if that’s right or not!)
Thanks Karen. It will be Thursday night for us. We can only hope, because I won’t be hiring a car!
JoS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 19, 05:29 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

I’m afraid it was 8.50pm but it was a Friday night and our driver said it was always crazy on a Friday evening (no idea if that’s right or not!)
Every work evening at that time will be very heavy - a lot of commuters fly into LAX so the airport is crazy (and is very poorly laid out with lots of bottlenecks and police blowing whistles -! The terminals are in a loop and designed well before security of today with no space to improve - I have been sat in traffic for over an hour on the ramp just to get near the terminals !)!but yes Fridays are the worst as may LA residents escape to Vegas, Palm Springs and the like for the weekend so traffic is horrendous then

Edited at 05:41 PM.
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 19, 06:53 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Originally Posted by klr15 View Post
You keep replying to me like I started this thread? I haven’t asked for any advice..
They are just general comments. Not aimed at you personally so please don't take them as such.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 19, 07:22 PM  
Link to this Post
klr15
Imagineer

klr15's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 7
Mobile

Originally Posted by 400ixl View Post
They are just general comments. Not aimed at you personally so please don't take them as such.
It’s just because you keep quoting me every time? And said in response to my YouTube comment about how far LA and Anaheim are, which I know already. It’s just getting confusing.
klr15 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 19, 08:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by JoS View Post
Sorry, didn't realize it was for 5. Just did an estimate now, so about 3 pm in LA? and it was $64 for an XL for 6. Or am I doing it wrong? I would just guess that at maybe 1.15 in the morning it wouldn't be such a busy time?
That what I thought. I need to do it 1am their time
Old 8 Nov 19, 08:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

My experience at LAX with Uber was ... don’t assume the cost maps to the estimate. It was coming out at $55-$60 to Anaheim whenever we checked...including when we taxi’d into LAX. By the time we got to the terminal and waited ages for our suitcases it had gone up to $115 (really). And the main reason was that we literally crawled out of LAX, completely rammed. It took almost as long as it did driving to Anaheim!

Hopefully if they’ve moved the ride pick ups off site it will he better.
That’s what I’m worried about did the price go up whilst you were in the Uber?
Old 8 Nov 19, 08:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

You have to remember Anaheim is not LA, its 40 miles from LA and once there is its own microcosm which those vloggers cover. Its not representative of wider LA.

You don't really need a car in Anaheim if you are staying in the good neighbourhood and only doing Disney. It would sit there parked up all day and there are places to eat in walking distance as well.

Wider LA which is 100 miles across has a transport system which is designed predominantly for neighbourhoods and people getting to work. The main exception is the regional train network and a subway service you can look at as well for getting between some areas. It is not expansive and covering all areas like the London Tube system.

For getting to Anaheim from LAX, then you really have 4 choices, ride share, Disney bus, Shuttle bus / car (private or shared) or drive yourself.

Between Anaheim and Hollywood / Burbank if you are doing the typical 2 centre trip and only seeing the traditional basics then you can car share, get a shuttle, catch the train to central station and go from there, or drive.

If you are only doing 1% of the area by doing Anaheim then Burbank (for Universal, Hollywood and Warner Bros) then I would probably say don't bother hiring a car for those parts.

LA rush hour starts at around 6am and runs through to 10pm and around the airport can get very busy. The airport is a horrible design with multiple terminals on a loop and it can take a long time to get in and out of.

$100 for a family to get from LAX to Anaheim is not unreasonable and if Uber's are working out at that in reality, then its probably not much different to a private shuttle / car.
Thank you for this. If I was doing a road trip here we would def be hiring a car but I just want to do WB Studios, Santa Monica,Chinese theatre area then onto Anaheim. The plan was never to drive bk to LAX to drop Car off as I don’t want the stress! You seem to have loads of knowledge is this doable without a car. I have priced car hire and it’s £160 for 4 nights (then plus parking fees and fuel). I have looked at a hotel in El Segundo that is v reasonable, airport shuttle and breakfast. I know it’s not going to be in an amazing sightseeing place but as long as it’s functional and if I can Uber. This is what I am looking into. So if anyone knows of hotels then I am all ears. I looked a5 SM and Marina Del Rey mega bucks
Old 8 Nov 19, 09:49 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Santa Monica you can get to from Hollywood area by the subway so a day trip there without a car is achievable without too much hassle.

Or if you meant from El Segundo then Uber to Santa Monica should be fine. It will be an hour or so on a good day to Hollywood by Uber so may be quite expensive. If you are doing both Hollywood.and WB in the same day then it's still cheaper.than renting I would have thought.

Edited at 10:02 PM.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 19, 11:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

Santa Monica you can get to from Hollywood area by the subway so a day trip there without a car is achievable without too much hassle.

Or if you meant from El Segundo then Uber to Santa Monica should be fine. It will be an hour or so on a good day to Hollywood by Uber so may be quite expensive. If you are doing both Hollywood.and WB in the same day then it's still cheaper.than renting I would have thought.
I looked at staying in Marina Del Rey as SM is expensive(5 of us). On my search El Segundo came up and it’s £450 for 3 nights with airport shuttle and breakfast for us all (that’s in a Hyatt property and gets good reviews). I thought that price is reasonable as it’s at least £250 pn elsewhere with no breakfast. What I dont know is this an alright area. I want to go to SM and Uber to Venice is around $20. So in my calculations I’m trying to work out is it cost effective to do it this way (ie will I spend more on transport than hiring) and how do you get from SM to Hollywood to WB
Thank you for your help I really appreciate it. When we went last we stayed in Burbank parked the car and didn’t move it. We did a day tour and Uber to universal
Old 8 Nov 19, 11:51 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Tweety1 View Post
That’s what I’m worried about did the price go up whilst you were in the Uber?
No. It was the lower price when the flight was taxiing into LAX (as we were checking it). By the time we’d got to the kerb with our bags we pressed ‘book’ and it had basically doubled. But it’s not like we really had a choice.