Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 18 Nov 19, 11:03 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Talland 2016 View Post
One of our party was selected for secondary screening at Orlando airport and his occupation was checked and his mobile phone and tablet were examined by immigration. They spent ages checking
which web sites he. Had visited
Photos were checked, all told he was with security for over 2 hours
He had not completed the optional ESTA question re social media accounts and was asked why he had not completed it
I don’t complete the social media section either, the reason is in the heading to the question- optional.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 19, 11:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Talland 2016
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by dotb View Post
I don’t complete the social media section either, the reason is in the heading to the question- optional.
I know it’s optional apparently he was questioned in depth as to why he had chosen not to complete it
They spent ages checking his phone & tablet browsing history & went through all of his photos & social media apps on his phone
He had to open them all up for the immigration officers
Talland 2016 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 19, 11:37 AM  
Link to this Post
toonarmani
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 137
Originally Posted by Talland 2016 View Post
I know it’s optional apparently he was questioned in depth as to why he had chosen not to complete it
They spent ages checking his phone & tablet browsing history & went through all of his photos & social media apps on his phone
He had to open them all up for the immigration officers
I would imagine it was due to other circumstances (name may be the same as someone else on their "list" for example) rather than because they hadn't completed their social media details, as I would think the vast majority don't update their details, and they would have to start questioning a load of people going forward.
toonarmani is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 19, 11:56 AM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Thanks everyone, just logged back on and both have been approved. Will just remind them what has been put on the form regarding employment, just incase. We've never been asked our employment details, but know it can happen. Also have never been asked about social media, I don't put anything on that section for any of us because it's optional. Immigration queues would be even worse than what they are already if they started asking everyone given that many people live their lives/work through SM!

Miami/CBR/RPR/Bahama Bay Aug 16
Deerfield Beach/HRH/POFQ/Contemporary/Westridge - Aug 18
New York - Westin Grand Central - Nov 18
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 18
All Star Sport/POFQ/Aylesbury Villa/Deerfield Beach - Oct 19
Miami/Hard Rock hotel/Pop Century/Legacy Park Dibb Villa - Aug 2022

Saratoga Springs/Rosen Plaza - Dec 2024
NewtoOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 19, 12:20 PM  
Link to this Post
MrFish
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Does anyone actually fill out their social media details? I don't have Facebook or anything but if I did I wouldn't feel comfortable giving them this information for you to be grilled against should you get invited for further questioning.

I was questioned further several times when younger travelling without kids and was asked about employment etc. Now I have loads of annoying kids this seems to be the best prevention against any immigration delay.
MrFish is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 19, 02:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Talland 2016
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by toonarmani View Post
I would imagine it was due to other circumstances (name may be the same as someone else on their "list" for example) rather than because they hadn't completed their social media details, as I would think the vast majority don't update their details, and they would have to start questioning a load of people going forward.
He was given a letter to say that he had been randomly selected & nothing had alerted immigration
My point was that although it is an optional question
Great attention was paid to the fact that he’d chosen not to answer it
Just a heads up to anyone else who may end up in the same situation
Talland 2016 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 19, 02:48 PM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

Is the social media question worthy of a new thread?

Disney332

Edit...I seem to recall the general opinion was to complete if applicable, as if you skip and it then becomes compulsory, you would have to resubmit, possibly at short notice.

Edited at 03:06 PM.
disney332 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 19, 03:10 PM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

Mobile

If they made the social media bit compulsory then I still leave if blank and have no apps or bookmarks on any device I take to the US. None of my social media stuff has where I live and a lot doesn't even have my real name. I can quite happily live without social media of any sort let alone for a couple of weeks in the US.

Actually come to think about it I would probably just get a basic smart phone just to take to the US and only use it when I am over there.

Next Trip Feb '24
Jun98 Apr99 Dec99 Apr00 Mar03 Jun/Jul04 Dec/Jan05/06 Jul06 Dec06 Jun/Jul08 Jun/Jul09 Jul/Aug11 Sep13 Jun/Jul14 Nov15 Sep16 Villa/BWV May18 Villa/BLT/AKL Sept19 Villa/AKL Feb/Mar20 AKL/SSR Sep22 AKL Apr/May 23 CS/CC/AKL Nov 23 SSR Feb/Mar 24 RR/BR
bighal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 19, 07:28 PM  
Link to this Post
orlandoN21
Apprentice Imagineer

orlandoN21's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Sorry to jump on this thread but I completed my ESTA for my trip in February of this year... but since then I have now taken early retirement a couple of weeks ago and going in a couple of weeks time. Can I keep the same ESTA or should I complete a new one? Thanks
1991 Travelodge Kissimmee / 1996 Holiday Inn I-Drive / 2000+2002 Rosen Centre I-Drive / 2007+2015+solo 2017+ solo Feb2019+solo Dec2019+solo Dec2023+solo June2024 Rosen Plaza I-Drive / 2011 Point Orlando / 2011 Rosen Shingle Creek / 2015 Loews Royal Pacific / solo Feb2019 Hilton Grand Vacations / solo Dec2019 Holiday Inn Disney Springs
orlandoN21 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 19, 08:06 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by orlandoN21 View Post
Sorry to jump on this thread but I completed my ESTA for my trip in February of this year... but since then I have now taken early retirement a couple of weeks ago and going in a couple of weeks time. Can I keep the same ESTA or should I complete a new one? Thanks
The question was to include a current or previous employer, so the same ESTA does.
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List