Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 16 Sep 18, 03:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Pieces
Imagineer

Pieces's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Mobile

I simply dislike "umm hmm" used when agreeing or acknowledging a thank you.
I have loads of American friends so phrases don't annoy me at all but "umm hmm" is rude.
Old 16 Sep 18, 03:32 PM  
Link to this Post
bigkid39
VIP Dibber

I use the word awesome in jest now

My first ever visit to Orlando in 2009 and my partner treated me to doing a dolphin swim at discovery cove (he wouldnt do it just watched me). I was in a small group with a husband, wife and their two daughters. The Dad went first. As the dad hung on to the dolphin the mum was saying to the daughters "tell daddy he's awesome, tell him he's awesome, go on tell him he's awesome" needless to say the girls were screaming it, shouting and still telling him it when he got back to them. My though at that point it if i hear them say the word awesome one more time i would be ducking their heads under water! Ok, i actually wouldnt have cos plainly well wrong but the word awesome just grated on me after that.

Now though, i am ok with it but transports me back to that day if i hear it
Old 16 Sep 18, 03:35 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by bigkid39 View Post
I use the word awesome in jest now

My first ever visit to Orlando in 2009 and my partner treated me to doing a dolphin swim at discovery cove (he wouldnt do it just watched me). I was in a small group with a husband, wife and their two daughters. The Dad went first. As the dad hung on to the dolphin the mum was saying to the daughters "tell daddy he's awesome, tell him he's awesome, go on tell him he's awesome" needless to say the girls were screaming it, shouting and still telling him it when he got back to them. My though at that point it if i hear them say the word awesome one more time i would be ducking their heads under water! Ok, i actually wouldnt have cos plainly well wrong but the word awesome just grated on me after that.

Now though, i am ok with it but transports me back to that day if i hear it
When I first arrived at the Grand Canyon and Yosemite I described them both as awesome - and I still do if anyone asks about them.

Mick
Old 16 Sep 18, 03:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Aims
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
Yes I would say that if you are greeted by “Are you alright?” Or “Are you ok?” that it is a nicety and nobody is really expecting a detailed run through. The exception might be if you are visibly upset or trip up at the precise moment you meet someone.

“What are you like” is a rhetorical question. If you hear it a lot, then you are possibly an unusual individual, prone to doing things differently, have a unique style or maybe there is something you are always doing like forgetting your keys, turning up late etc. It could be said in either fondness or exasperation, you would have to judge from the tone in which it is said.

Thanks, Claudette! That was a great explanation. Now that I think of it, I had done something goofy when my friend said "What are you like" and I remember his tone being friendly when he said it. But...he has said it to me more than once, so I guess he must think I'm a silly person.

Planning a trip to San Diego? Check out my San Diego planning guide at the link below:

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1047941
Aims is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 18, 05:33 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mick View Post
Donna

Lush is just a lazy way of saying luscious. Very common in northern England. Used by ladies to describe handsome men I believe. I bet ChrisS still uses it regularly.

Mick
To me it sounds like a way to describe a handcream or velvety fabric not food (or men)
Old 16 Sep 18, 05:38 PM  
Link to this Post
RupertB
Serious Dibber

When they say 'already' at the end of a sentence which makes no sense.
"Would you stop that already" - what the hell does that mean ?

Why do they find it so hard to understand my name -Paul - 'How do you spell that?" - seriously - I now have to say PORL with an accent (as I cringe). When I was in NY last year, I called my cousin (she is Irish) and she couldn't figure out who it was as even she is now used to PORL as opposed to Paul.
Old 17 Sep 18, 02:07 AM  
Link to this Post
scooby99
Imagineer

Originally Posted by suesmum View Post
So agree, got very confused when I first heard those terms, especially pants in the context it was being used!

So if handbags are purses ... what are purses called ?
Handbags are also called pocketbooks!
scooby99 is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 18, 02:15 AM  
Link to this Post
scooby99
Imagineer

Originally Posted by pinkstargirl View Post
Two spring to mind... the use of ‘so’ in sentences like “Are you so excited?” “Are you so happy?” Usually delivered in a high pitched voice to a child.

Another is more a pronunciation thing. I worked at a summer camp some years ago and one afternoon, was discussing with the girls I was looking after what we wanted to cook on our camp out a few days later. I was writing down their ideas and one was “chicken parmajohn”... I had no idea until I saw it in a cook book that they meant chicken Parmesan!
They were talking about Chicken Parmigiana & really, their pronunciation is nearer to the original Italian.
scooby99 is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 18, 02:19 AM  
Link to this Post
scooby99
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mick View Post
Donna

Lush is just a lazy way of saying luscious. Very common in northern England. Used by ladies to describe handsome men I believe. I bet ChrisS still uses it regularly.

Mick
Ha, I think of 'lush' as a southern England thing!
Old 17 Sep 18, 05:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Originally Posted by DonnaD View Post
It would have been chicken parmigiana and the is exactly how my Italian American family would pronounce it. It is a chicken breast pounded flat, breaded and fried and then covered in marinara sauce and mozzarella cheese. It is a very common dish here.
Also very common in parts of the UK - a ‘chicken parm’ or ‘parmo’ is apparently the new ‘night on the town’ food.

Lush for luscious is very Welsh.

Pants for trousers is heard a lot in Preston for some reason!
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List