Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 29 May 19, 08:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Pieces
Imagineer

Pieces's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Work/HR Advice? Feeling so upset :(

Hello,
I was wondering if anyone worked in HR or could give me any advice. I'm so upset at the moment and don't know what to do.
Sorry if this turns into a long post.

Long story short, I have worked for this company for the past 3 years. The company has two offices within the same building, about 60 employees and a large production factory too.
For the first 2 years I did a different job in the larger office, and for the last year I have taken on a different role within the smaller office next door (same company, different dept).
I would consider this role to be more senior and I have had excellent feedback throughout the whole year, including today during this meeting.
Today, two of our office managers called both offices into a meeting to tell us that after reviewing recent feedback forms that were given to us all, it had highlighted some issues in the way some processes
are flowing in the business. They then went through these issues (non of which were in my department).
They then said they had thought of a way in which these issues can be resolved and that means shuffling the departments up a little (i.e A LOT)
They then asked to see me and a couple of others seperately for a meeting (I was alone during this meeting).
It was explained to me that they wanted me to move departments and do a completely different role to help resolve some of these recent issues within the business.
They explained this would be permanent and would involve me moving offices (within the same building) and into a completely different team.
I absolutely do not want to do this. I am very happy doing my current role and I am well aware that I do very well in this role, they even said this themselves and so do the other members of my team.

Last year they tried to do something similar with a few of us, and we gave it a go for a few weeks but all of us didn't get on well with it at all, mainly due to the noise levels in the other office and the fact it wasn't thought through properly.
In fact, it made me so stressed I had to take a few days break from work. After a very stressful month, I (and the others) reverted back into my current role, as my manager could see it wasn't working.
I don't understand why they are now trying to enforce the same thing a year later. It feels as though I don't have any say and that I will almost be bullied into taking this role.
They said I can give them feedback in a days time after "taking it in" but what that really means is "we are going to make you do it any way" as they have in the past.
Is there anything I can do about this? The only contract I have is from a couple of years ago. It just has my job down as OFFICE which is very vague.
I really do not want to have to change roles to something I am unhappy doing, the company I work for doesn't tend to think things through properly and often upset employees by springing up with ideas and implementing them immediately.
Should I put how I feel in writing for the follow up feedback meeting on Friday?
This has completely turned my world upside down and I just feel so gutted I'll be made to do something I don't want to be doing.

**Just editing to say, I am a fairly quiet person, I find it hard to be assertive and stand up, especially to those who are loud and can be intimidating like these 2 managers, they have meetings day in day out and use all the typical corporate jargon and know how to back you into a wall, I've fallen for it before, really trying to not let that happen this time.**

Thanks and sorry for the long post.

Edited at 08:40 PM.
Pieces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 19, 10:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Pino_Spetzberg
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Pieces View Post
I would consider this role to be more senior...

They said I can give them feedback in a days time after "taking it in"...

Should I put how I feel in writing for the follow up feedback meeting on Friday?

Take your time before doing anything.
You have a few days to respond to them which presumably means after the week-end ?
Don't write down anything at this time.
Have a cold dispassionate think about why you don't want to change roles.
You'll be working in the same building, still in a role which meets the description 'office' as stated in your contract.
Will you be doing more work for the same pay, longer hours, working with disagreeable co-workers, having to achieve sales targets, work out what's bothering you apart being a noisier office ?
Do you feel demoted perhaps ?
What's happening with your previous role, are any of you being made redundant ? It could be that due to economic pressures the overall headcount needs to be reduced but because you have proved yourself to be competent and valuable they want to keep you, albeit in a different role.

Most of all don't take it personally or over react. After you've had a good think about things find out whom you can speak to about the proposed changes. Do you have union representation ? Find out what your options are.

Good luck.
Pino_Spetzberg is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 19, 10:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

Mobile

I agree with PP to take some time and have a think before responding.

What's happening to your current role? Is that still there or is it being made redundant? If it's still there what's their reasons for you not continuing. If it's not there are you "at risk" of redundancy?
Blue nose is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 19, 10:56 PM  
Link to this Post
RachaelC
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Definitely take your time to think it over.

Is it possible they’ve selected you to move across because they know you’re a high performing member of staff and they think this would be a good opportunity for you? How did they put it to you earlier?

Can you think of any other ways that they can achieve what they’re trying to do without you moving roles? If so, then I’d have a think about what solutions they should be looking at so you can go back to them with those too. That might give you a framework to be able to say “thanks, but no thanks” to the new job and also will show that you’re proactive and considering the company overall.

Good luck.
RachaelC is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 19, 10:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Pieces
Imagineer

Pieces's Reviews
I have just 1 day to respond.
Definitely not at risk of redundancy.
We are busier than ever. They are stretching my current role out over to several other employees, all of which don't want to do it either.
Yes one of the reasons is working with another team, I am very happy in my own team and we work very well together and constantly hot targets by working damn hard . Another is there is absolutely no reason for them to be doing this apart from then getting me to babysit others that mess up often at work.
I just want to refuse or give in my notice to be honest, it's completely not on springing it on me with one day's notice after all the hard work I have done this past year.
I do have the companies best interests at heart and they know this by everything I've done this past year especially. There's no way this will work and i'm gutted. All that hard work down the drain.

Edited at 10:59 PM.
Pieces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 19, 11:27 PM  
Link to this Post
shirley
Imagineer

shirley's Reviews
Sometimes in a job we have to make changes that perhaps we dont aggree with or like. I work in a council building (not a council employee) and the staff who do the office work etc get moved around on a fairly regular basis, Im sure some of them dont want to oove but Im guessing it is part of their contract. Maybe you could try looking at it in a more positive way, Im sure as employers, they are within their rights to rearrange staff as they see fit. I can see why they would want to get someone in to the office that isnt performing too well, are the people in there really so bad?

If you refuse what could be the consequences? Sometimes a change is as good as a rest!
shirley is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 19, 12:08 AM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

Ideally they should be consulting with staff, I assume you have a job description which sets out what you do? This is part of a contract so seems unreasonable to unilaterally change it but some do - this could be a constructive dismissal case but you need clear advice on this.

It sounds like they think you are able to solve problems so perhaps you can try to negotiate a higher salary, or to do it for a set period of time. Maybe stay in the current office?
Old 30 May 19, 05:27 AM  
Link to this Post
Alices Aunt
Imagineer

Mobile

They have chosen you as you are good at your job. Do they think this will help you develop further? Have a think before going back to them as you May need to explain that whilst you are honoured they considered you etc

No one can tell you what to do but perhaps if there is no way out of it ask for a review with the possibility of going back to your old job.

Change can be scary. I’d also give feedback about how they manage change as it shouldn’t be sprung on you.
Alices Aunt is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 19, 05:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

Mobile

I understand PP thoughts that this might be an opportunity for you but in my opinion but if your old job is still there then they cannot just tell you it's not yours.

There are processes to be followed to remove someone from their role and it doesn't sound like they are following them.

Are you a member of a trade union? Or maybe ring ACAS.

Good luck
Blue nose is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 19, 06:54 AM  
Link to this Post

I don’t work in HR but have just done a masters degree in it, including employment law and I am a very experienced manager and in particular have done a lot of process transformation.

In my opinion, this is not something that you should need to be upset about. The management are entitled to make process changes and I think that you have been selected to take a key role is a compliment to you. I would advise you not to react to this lest you earn a reputation for being difficult or resistant to change.

I think you need to try and be more positive about this and focus upon how to make it work and the positive impact on your cv afterwards. I have dealt with a lot of change resistant people over my career and it is usually due to fear in themselves but all have been glad that the changes were made when they come out the other side.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List