Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 18 Sep 18, 07:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Pieces
Imagineer

Pieces's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Mobile Rsi

Hi everyone.
So for the past 3 months I have had a new role at work, to cut a long story short it is sort of like QC but for design work. I spend 9 hours a day clicking a mouse and when I say clicking a mouse I mean thousands and thousands and thousands of times a day at a ridiculously fast speed. This has resulted in Rsi in my right hand. Today I was in agony with it, I'm the only one that does my job but a colleague who covered for me 2 weeks ago when I had a days holiday told me she doesn't know how I do it! By the end of today I could barely do my job and my hand and wrist have been absolutely killing me all evening. It doesn't help that the last 4 weeks have been insane at work and I've had twice the amount to do, the speed in which I'm working at is ridiculous and my other half has politely told me to slow down as its not worth it.

Anyway, as I'm sitting here typing this with my left hand, awaiting my hand support and new ergonomic mouse to arrive tomorrow (which I paid for!) I'm wondering if I should have a day off to rest tomorrow, would you?
My hand is burning with pain but I feel so guilty. My boss has no idea by the way (I don't see her often at all at work).

Also any tips for rsi sufferers?
Old 18 Sep 18, 07:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Col&Ali
Imagineer

Mobile

Unfortunately with RSI rest is key ... you really need to tell your line manager and if necessary have a complete break.

I hope you feel better soon - it’s horrible!
Col&Ali is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 18, 08:00 PM  
Link to this Post
SimonB
Imagineer

Mobile

My wife suffers with this. Really you need to get occupational health involved. Ergonomic keyboard and mouse (the evoluent gaming one suits her). Micro breaks etc.

Don’t try to work through it. If you get it diagnosed properly you will be covered by the disability discrimination act.
SimonB is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 18, 08:37 PM  
Link to this Post
justacey
Apprentice Imagineer

I was having problems some years ago with pains up my arm. My solution now is to use my mouse with my left hand. I call myself ambimoustrous
As long as you swap the buttons over so you use your forefinger as your 'pick' finger and your middle finger as your right-click it's an easyish changeover. I managed in a day or so. I am permanently attached to my mouse as I do CAD drawings all day long.
By using my left hand for my mouse I can type with my right hand at the same time. And eat crisps and drink my tea
Even though I am right handed and use my right hand on my lap top track pad and phone screen, it's strange using another person's mouse.
justacey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 18, 08:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Cocobean121
Imagineer

Yep, I’m there too. After 30 years of typing and now a role where I’m mouse clicking thousands of times a day. Starts in my shoulder, elbow, wrist and fingers. I wouldn’t say it’s excruciating, but it’s painful. I’ve tried the ergo mouse and hated it, made the palm of my hand ache and I found it slow.

Although my employers are sympathetic and trying to help with posture, seat, mouse etc, they won’t take me off the job that’s making me use the mouse so much because we are too busy. I’ve had a week off and it didn’t hurt at all so I know it’s the job.

Next stop for me is the doctors, although it’s not too bad at the moment it’s only going to get worse.

Good luck op, I hope your employers take notice and try and help, I think it’s their duty.

Easter 2011 Legacy Park Villa fl. Aug/Sept 2013 Thousand Oaks Villa fl. April 2015 Lake Wilson Preserve Villa fl. May 2017 the sanctuary, West Haven villa Fl.
October 2019 Pier 60 & Highlands Reserve villa fl
May 2020 endless summer and Aventura
Cocobean121 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 18, 10:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

Mobile

Try some heat or some ice to ease the pain. Try and rest it.

There's different types of mice and all have pros and cons. All mice are ergonomic but it's find the sort that's best for you.

Where is your pain? Fingers, wrist, arms?

If it's shoulder or arm then look at a roller bar mouse. This sits in front of your keyboard and can be operated with either hand.

If it's your wrist look at a vertical mouse as this limits the wrist movement.

If it's your fingers then there's a few options. My personal favourite is the handshoe mouse.

Look at what you do at home too. If your holding your mobile or table then look at a pop socket to stick to the back

Are you doing else with your hand? Knitting, sewing, crafts, art work, crosswords? All are using it and need to stop to allow rest

You can get some physio exercises, it's more around massaging the arm

I do workplace assessments all the time so any questions please ask.
Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 18, 06:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Pieces
Imagineer

Pieces's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Mobile

Originally Posted by Blue nose View Post
Try some heat or some ice to ease the pain. Try and rest it.

There's different types of mice and all have pros and cons. All mice are ergonomic but it's find the sort that's best for you.

Where is your pain? Fingers, wrist, arms?

If it's shoulder or arm then look at a roller bar mouse. This sits in front of your keyboard and can be operated with either hand.

If it's your wrist look at a vertical mouse as this limits the wrist movement.

If it's your fingers then there's a few options. My personal favourite is the handshoe mouse.

Look at what you do at home too. If your holding your mobile or table then look at a pop socket to stick to the back

Are you doing else with your hand? Knitting, sewing, crafts, art work, crosswords? All are using it and need to stop to allow rest

You can get some physio exercises, it's more around massaging the arm

I do workplace assessments all the time so any questions please ask.
Thanks, it's mainly in my hand and wrist. I don't use my phone often and don't do any crafts etc so I know it's the job, I think I'll speak to someone today as it's really painful.