Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 11 Feb 19, 04:54 PM  
Link to this Post
orlandobound
Excited about Disney

UK Roadtrip itinerary - advice please

Hello lovely Dibbers!

I'm just back from a fab weekend in London with my son and we have decided to do a road trip in the UK for our summer holiday (we live in Ireland). There will be me, DH and our 2 boys 13 and 14 and we will be travelling in late June before the UK schools break up. We love history, castles, nice food, activities like tree top walks/ kayaking for DH and the sporty teens and of course theme parks!

We will be in the UK for 2 weeks. I think we will get the ferry to Liverpool or Holyhead and drive to Chester/Liverpool/Manchester for a couple of days in that area. Then head to maybe Alton Towers. Then a stop for a couple of days at Stratford-upon-Avon to do the Shakespeare stuff and also Warwick Castle. Then on to Oxford and Windsor. Maybe Thorpe Park?

We are open to any suggestions for good places to go or attractions to visit - especially stuff that would appeal to 2 teenage boys. We are happy to stay anywhere - Premier Inn is fine - but we would love to hear any suggestions of great places to stay. I have got super advice in the past from the Dibb when planning our trips to Orlando and we really know very little about our nearest neighbour when it comes to planning a holiday so all advice is welcome. Also, if you have any money-saving advice for attraction tickets etc. Thanks!
orlandobound is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 19, 05:48 PM  
Link to this Post
welovemushu
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

If you visit Alton Towers look out for bogof offers on cereal packs !
In Derbyshire, Chatsworth house is a beauty!
Another idea if you visit lots of historic houses etc is maybe look at National trust membership might be cost effective.
For the teens , what about the zip line in Wales?
HTH Jan x
welovemushu is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 19, 06:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

Mobile

Nottingham would be a nice city to stop off at as it's not too far from Alton Towers and is close to M1 or M42 for going south. I stay at Holiday Inn Nottingham Derby for work.

If you like Harry Potter you could visit Warner Bros studios in Watford. You do need to book early though. We stayed at a Premier Inn in Watford (Croxley Green) and it was nice.
Beth_Disney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 19, 06:33 PM  
Link to this Post
orlandobound
Excited about Disney

Thank you! Great suggestions there. I've seen Chatsworth on TV so that's a definite on the list. Also Harry Potter studios as the boys are big fans. I will look into National Trust membership and the zip line.
orlandobound is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 19, 06:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Queen of Herts
Imagineer

Queen of Herts's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Please do not miss Nothumberland. Go to Alnwick Castle (first Harry Potter film made here). Go to Alnwick Gardens and book a visit to the Poison Garden. You need to book. Go to the Treehouse restaurant for a meal. It is stunning. If you want more castles there is Bamburgh and I can also recommend a National Trust property - Cragside in Northumberland - wear trainers as great hilly walk too. It is one of the first homes to be fitted with hydroelectric power. Really interesting. Take lunch as cafe not great when we went.
Queen of Herts is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 19, 01:37 PM  
Link to this Post

If coming in / out via Holyhead and active teens there are some fantastic experiences in North Wales. The huge zip line is one, also the underground trampoline centre bounce below at Blaenau ffestiniog, plus snowden or inside the hydroelectric power station. Mmm. Not to mention all the North Wales castles.

Stop n stay a while. There are nicer things to do than rush down the A55!

zipworld/adventure/bounce-below

Edited at 01:39 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 19, 03:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by FamilyGWales View Post
If coming in / out via Holyhead and active teens there are some fantastic experiences in North Wales. The huge zip line is one, also the underground trampoline centre bounce below at Blaenau ffestiniog, plus snowden or inside the hydroelectric power station. Mmm. Not to mention all the North Wales castles.

Stop n stay a while. There are nicer things to do than rush down the A55!

zipworld/adventure/bounce-below
I was going to suggest this too. Once you have come from Liverpool and then onto Chester you are not too far away. Portmerrion also down that way if you fancy it
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 19, 05:54 PM  
Link to this Post
kk20
Imagineer

You are heading the wrong way, Lake district is a great place although im biased 'cause I live there
kk20 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 19, 07:39 PM  
Link to this Post
inky1
Imagineer

Sounds s great trip .We live in South Wales but have visited some of the places you’ve mentioned .
Warwick castle a few times ,absolutely love it Have stayed on site glsmping which was great and also at the nearby premier inn .Also in that area is Bosworth field there is a good museum that explains all about the the battle of Bosworth The site is free to walk around and there’s a charge to go into the museum .If you visit Stratford on Avon I would recommend getting the multi ticket that covers all the houses it’s a fantastic place we’ve been on two seperate occassions and could easily go again.
Watch out in the Sun for free ticket offers which sometimes include discounts for on site hotels .If you don’t stay at Alton Towers look at The Hurricane and The Spitfire premier inns which we’ve used a couple of times when visiting ATs
Consider a Merlin Pass as it may work out cheaper for you
I hope you have a great time .

Edited at 07:48 PM.
inky1 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 19, 09:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Beaker's Fluff
Imagineer

How about a trip to Bath, beautiful city. If you are looking at Windsor, Chessington is not too much further on.
Sounds like a fab trip.

1997/1998 Quality Inn.2006 Villa.2007&2008Fairfield
2013 LBV Resort and Spa 2015 Sheraton Times Sq.NY.
2016 Barcelo Teguise Beach 2016 Trump Int Toronto
2016 Xmas in NY.2018 LBV Resort And Spa 2019 Croatia Venice and Boston
Beaker's Fluff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List