Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 19 May 19, 10:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridafour
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Have you considered doggy day care? Maybe just for 1 or 2 of those days. I work 3 full days, my pup goes to my mums for 2 of those days & daycare for the other 1. Dogs are social animals & I do not believe they should be left home alone all day. I stick to the 4 hour rule, anything over that on a regular basis is just too long I think especially when they are young but that’s just my opinion 🙂
Floridafour is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 19, 10:33 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Originally Posted by lovesdisney View Post
I work 3 long days a week and hubby 5 days a week. We have 2 dogs a beagle and a Labrador that are used to being left... we have done this since they were both pups... the youngest dog is only 2 ( Labrador) the beagle is 7. Both had to get used to being left alone as we worked, we didn’t have the Luxury of someone popping in at lunch time...
we crate trained and this also helped with training the dog to be clean as they don’t want to mess where they sleep. I feed my dogs when we get up... let them do their business outside then often be out to work, the dogs get used to your lifestyle... I’m happy to leave my dogs 7/8hrs one still in a crate the other not...
on my days off we go for long walks and on work days they get shorter walks in the evening... they can adapt to your life...
my daughter is y7 so now is only out the house from 8.30-3 so they aren’t left alone longer than this now...
I think they have adjusted to being lazy dogs as they spend a lot of time asleep... both seem happy and behave, don’t destroy or have any anxiety issues
Dogs are happy to have other dogs as company. We lost one of our cockers early last year and the remaining cocker who is now 12 years old howls if she's left alone for 5 minutes. She never howled when we left her when she had our other dog with her.

We feel so guilty leaving her on her own, and we rarely do that and for no more than an hour or two the odd time.

She has pushed me to only working a couple of days a week which is only when my wife works from home, because I wouldn't leave her distressed at home on her own. We would like fo get a puppy now, but she wouldn't be happy with that especially now she's a pensioner so we don't want to stress her out.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 19, 10:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Zomax25
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I would firstly say that a dog is SO SO SO much work. Not just the walking but the training really is a hUGE commitment. We both work full time and have two young kids and it’s a pain. When we got her we had a teen who was going to walk her but she lasted a couple of weeks and had had enough (so walks were about two minutes!) Plus she needed us to train her.
So now we spend a fortune on a doggy daycare three days a week, work from home one day a week each. She’s ok to be left now for a few hours but she’s still not well trained.
We have tried two trainers but really we need to be practising all day every day which is never going to happen while we work!
So whilst I would say I adore my dog, I do wish we never got her. And I know my husband would have rehomed her ages ago if i’d let him. And he wanted the dog!
Zomax25 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 19, 10:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Animagus
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sammykitten View Post
We have had a bunny, guinea pigs and hamsters (we have cats now). I would have guinea pigs again in a heartbeat, such sociable and vocal wee beasties (and much much easier for the whole family to take care of ).
Thanks for your comment on the guinea pigs (I might start another thread about those). Apart from a dog, they are DDs top choice. Her primary school got some during her final year there and she loved being part of their care. Did you keep yours inside or out?
Animagus is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 19, 10:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Animagus
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Floridafour View Post
Have you considered doggy day care? Maybe just for 1 or 2 of those days. I work 3 full days, my pup goes to my mums for 2 of those days & daycare for the other 1. Dogs are social animals & I do not believe they should be left home alone all day. I stick to the 4 hour rule, anything over that on a regular basis is just too long I think especially when they are young but that’s just my opinion 🙂
I had no idea doggy day care was a thing! It is something else to take into consideration. Thank you.
Animagus is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 19, 10:49 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Zomax25 View Post
I would firstly say that a dog is SO SO SO much work. Not just the walking but the training really is a hUGE commitment. We both work full time and have two young kids and it’s a pain. When we got her we had a teen who was going to walk her but she lasted a couple of weeks and had had enough (so walks were about two minutes!) Plus she needed us to train her.
So now we spend a fortune on a doggy daycare three days a week, work from home one day a week each. She’s ok to be left now for a few hours but she’s still not well trained.
We have tried two trainers but really we need to be practising all day every day which is never going to happen while we work!
So whilst I would say I adore my dog, I do wish we never got her. And I know my husband would have rehomed her ages ago if i’d let him. And he wanted the dog!
Some very good/honest advice.

Over the years I have lost count of how many people we know who have got a dog and had it rehomed because they didn't realise how much work was involved.

I am so glad you pay out for doggy day care as it breaks my heart when people get a dog and leave it at home all day on their own for sometimes 10 hours a day, it is so cruel.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 19, 10:51 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

If you think there's a chance your circumstances might change or you live in a built up area I would think carefully. Our neighbours have 2 dogs. One you would hardly know is there but another is by the neighbours own admission, a bit crazy. They are both out all day but I think someone pops round to let them out as they bark... And bark... And bark. The loudest one is clearly very unhappy and stressed and I think we will have to say something, as it's possible they don't know how unhappy their dog is. And it drives us mad, there's no getting away from the horrible noise.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 19, 10:56 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Fluzz View Post
If you think there's a chance your circumstances might change or you live in a built up area I would think carefully. Our neighbours have 2 dogs. One you would hardly know is there but another is by the neighbours own admission, a bit crazy. They are both out all day but I think someone pops round to let them out as they bark... And bark... And bark. The loudest one is clearly very unhappy and stressed and I think we will have to say something, as it's possible they don't know how unhappy their dog is. And it drives us mad, there's no getting away from the horrible noise.
I am surprised that no one has complained to the council as they will usually take action. Someone my wife knows locally had warnings from the council due to her dogs barking and she was threatened with court action.

I hope you do say something as it is not fair on the neighbours listening to the noise, but more importantly it's not fair on the poor distressed doggie.
Old 19 May 19, 11:09 PM  
Link to this Post
sammykitten
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Animagus View Post
Thanks for your comment on the guinea pigs (I might start another thread about those). Apart from a dog, they are DDs top choice. Her primary school got some during her final year there and she loved being part of their care. Did you keep yours inside or out?
Both - most of the year outside but hutch in a fully-sheltered spot, with a portable large run. In very cold weather they were inside in our spare room in large indoor cages.
sammykitten is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 19, 12:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
My next door neighbour has some dog. Not sure what it is but they say it's a Cockapoo. Mongrel in my book

Anyhow when they are out this thing screams for hours. It's horrendous and I will be telling them soon . Thank God we are in an old house with thick walls.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List