Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Closed Thread

Old 24 Sep 03, 12:08 AM  
Link to this Post

Cool Quality Inn International Drive

Hi all,

I am a new member of the Forum - this is my first posting! Have just booked Florida for next summer with Virgin Holidays to Quality Inn on I-Drive. This will be our first time at Disney. I just can't make up my mind about the hotel - is it too basic? I've got 7 days to change my mind before we have to pay admin charge.
We need a good non-driving option as we're not taking the car. Thought about upgrading to Holiday Inn on I-Drive but reviews for this hotel on trip advisor stink ! can anyone offer me some advice. My main worry is that rooms will be shabby and I will be disappointed - also there is a local charge for bus to WDW does anyone know how much this would be. There are 4 of us 2 adults and 2 kids aged 10 and 2. Any info will be much appreciated. Thanks Karen
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 03, 11:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Jools
Imagineer

Hi Karen,

There are other posts about this hotel on this page. We stayed there twice, - in 99 (with car) and 2001 (without car) when it was allocated on arrival by Thompsons. Found it adequate the rooms were nice and bright and a good size. The pools were good although loungers were in short supply. It seems the "Spain" mentality of putting towels on sunbeds at first light is becoming the norm in Florida now. Its in an ideal location if you do not have a car. The I Ride trolley stops right outside the entrance and there is a good Perkins across the street as well as Macdonalds and Dennys. You are also in walking distance of Wet & Wild. We also took the number 42 bus to the Florida Mall (stops outside Perkins). The Disney bus was free then so don't know how much it will be. You could go on the hotel bus to Disney and catch the number 51 bus back from to I Drive for $1 each per adult. 12's and under ride free. This is a cheap option and we found it easy to do. Whatever you decide you're sure to have a great time! Enjoy

Jools
Jools is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 03, 12:15 PM  
Link to this Post

Hi Karen,
We have friends who stayed in the Quality Inn and they really enjoyed it there. It is a good hotel and is a Virgin Flagship Hotel which means Virgin guests get a bit extra treatment when they are there as Virgin have an arrangement with the hotel. You will all have a fantastic time and once you`ve been to Florida, you will want to go again and again. It is truly magical there. Hope to speak to you again.
Fiona.
Old 24 Sep 03, 03:54 PM  
Link to this Post
HolyCow
Apprentice Imagineer

HolyCow's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I have stayed at the hotel and found it fine but we did have a car. I think you will be limited in the times you can go to and from the Disney parks. If you are planning a laid back holiday that won't be a problem. If you want more frequent transport have a look at any of the Downtown Disney hotels. Courtyard by Marriott was in the Virgin brochure last year and is a nicer hotel than QII.
Old 24 Sep 03, 06:40 PM  
Link to this Post
daisydoo
Apprentice Imagineer

Hi Karen

Like you, I am staying at Quality Inn International next June and do not have transport.

I e-mailed the hotel and found out that the shuttle buses cost $12.00 round trip (I think) to Disney and they start running from 7 am til 11 pm (not sure of the frequency though),

I found a website that showed a virtual tour of parts of the hotel - if I can find it again, I will let you know. It will be my first time to Florida and from what I have found out about the hotel, I am sure it will be fine.

Take care

daisydoo

daisydoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 03, 09:10 PM  
Link to this Post

I have stayed at this hotel twice both times without a car, we had no problem getting around, You will have a welcome meeting with your Virgin Rep and they will give you any information that you need. Have a good time.
Old 24 Sep 03, 11:42 PM  
Link to this Post

Thankyou very very much to everyone who replied. My mind has been set at rest re the hotel itself. I'm still a bit worried about bus charges though 12$ x 4 people x say 7 visits is $336 over the fortnight. My husband doesn't want to drive as its our first time. Other option is to upgrade to Holiday Inn International drive as they do free disney transportation but I have read very poor reviews about this hotel! . Can anyone tell me what it is like?

Thanks

Karen
Old 25 Sep 03, 06:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Lynda
Imagineer

Lynda's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
We stayed for our first visit some years ago at the quality inn plaza on ID , this put me off quality inn for life! It was dirty and shabby, also it had a strange odour!
Old 25 Sep 03, 09:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
I'm pretty sure I've stayed at the Q.I. on I Drive (as well as the Q.I. Plaza) - I think it's a typical I Drive motel style hotel. The room will be a decent enough size and clean but there won't be too many frills offered. However, that has always been fine for the style of holiday I have had in the past since all we wanted was somewhere to sleep, get showered and dressed. The H.I. is, I think, a better hotel and I would guess the price in the Virgin brochures reflects this.

Every time we've stayed on I Drive we've had a car - as it means we are able to come and go as we please. I've never been with kids (first time in December) but I would think I would want the flexibility a car offers so, if and when the kids get tired and grotchy you can quickly head back to base on your terms and your speed. Given the shuttle price you quote, you'll not pay much more for a car anyway. You could always get a car for one week only so you can do Disney and then be car-less for the 2nd week to do the I Drive located attractions.

Driving in Florida really is not difficult - do not let believing it is put you off getting a car.

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 03, 09:18 AM  
Link to this Post

I stayed there 2 years ago & will be staying there again this year.
I found it to be clean, safe & in a good location.
It is just your usual american standard hotel, no frills but perfectly adequate for lets face it, the very little time you spend in it
Closed Thread