Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 9 Nov 20, 05:12 PM  
Link to this Post

Another one who only likes fillet .
Cook on high for a minute each side and add salt as cooking , not before or it dries out a bit.
Then cook on medium each side for 4/5 minutes depending on thickness. This is for medium / medium rare .
Rest for 5 minutes .
I’ve got really good at cooking steak and the secret is seasoning enough I personally think .
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 20, 05:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Bianca
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by FizzyWhip View Post
Another one who only likes fillet .
Cook on high for a minute each side and add salt as cooking , not before or it dries out a bit.
Then cook on medium each side for 4/5 minutes depending on thickness. This is for medium / medium rare .
Rest for 5 minutes .
I’ve got really good at cooking steak and the secret is seasoning enough I personally think .
I don't cook steak often, I think because I haven't got a reliable method.

I'm making a note of yours - it sounds good to me.

...By seasoning, do you just mean the salt? Or do you use other seasonings, too?

“I cannot discover that anyone knows enough to say definitely what is and what is not possible", Henry Ford

Contemporary Resort - Disneyland Hotel - Treehouse Villas - Vistana - Youth Hostel Anaheim - Quality Inn Intern'l Dr - Port Orleans Riverside
Bianca is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 20, 05:24 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by Bianca View Post
I don't cook steak often, I think because I haven't got a reliable method.

I'm making a note of yours - it sounds good to me.

...By seasoning, do you just mean the salt? Or do you use other seasonings, too?
I use salt and pepper on both sides but nothing else , I’m a bit of a purest!
If the steak has the same firmness as the heel of your hand then it should be a perfect medium! That’s the theory anyway ... 😆
Old 9 Nov 20, 05:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Bianca
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by FizzyWhip View Post
I use salt and pepper on both sides but nothing else , I’m a bit of a purest!
If the steak has the same firmness as the heel of your hand then it should be a perfect medium! That’s the theory anyway ... 😆
Thanks for this!

“I cannot discover that anyone knows enough to say definitely what is and what is not possible", Henry Ford

Contemporary Resort - Disneyland Hotel - Treehouse Villas - Vistana - Youth Hostel Anaheim - Quality Inn Intern'l Dr - Port Orleans Riverside
Bianca is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 20, 11:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Disneyfreaks
Imagineer

Mobile

Mine has to be very very well done, no pink bits - I remember ordering a steak in Mama Melrose a few years back, I sent it back 3 times as it was pink & in the end the chef come out & told me very bluntly I should’ve just ordered a burger ! I thought that was so rude, they asked me how I wanted it cooked - I told them & then they brought me how they thought it should be cooked - three times !

Needless to say, we’ve never eaten there since !
Disneyfreaks is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 20, 09:56 AM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ncmurray View Post
I have used sous vide a few times, and that is almost always perfect, but its a bit of a faff.
i find sous vide works best when your steak is more than 2 inches thick. cook for 1-2 hours at 132f (medium rare), pat dry with paper towel, then sear in a 600f+ cast iron pan for 2-3 minutes per side depending on how done you like it (if you like it more than medium you probably want 4-5 mins per side)

heres a couple of ribeyes i did at the weekend from our local butcher, they were just over £15 each...

the "cooked" ribeyes after coming out the bath... (and microwaved chips)

after a bit of browning in the skillet... leave them to rest for 5-10 mins while the chips finish cooking

serve with massive chips, onion, mushroom and green beans...

if anything, mine was a little under what i usually like, but still damn fine. completely cooked through thanks to sous vide, but still completely pink inside... but because of the sous vide it wasnt rare, which im not a fan of due to the texture of the meat, but if i pre-cooked to medium, it would be too easy to overcook it, and the worst thing you can do to a good steak is overcook it!

Edited at 09:58 AM.
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 20, 10:22 AM  
Link to this Post
barryp1
Imagineer

Just to add you can get perfect results in the Ninja Foodii Grill using the meat probe.

Perfect for all meats.
barryp1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 20, 07:56 PM  
Link to this Post

We always have fillet steak, that is the only one I eat although DH is not a fussy. We both have rare.

Take out of fridge, salt and get up to room temperature. Very hot pan, one minutes each side to sear. Turn pan down and cook a further 90 seconds each side.
Old 10 Nov 20, 07:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Nicksgirl
Imagineer

Well done for me, I only like Sirloin and Ribeye, Rump too tough and fillet tasteless.
Econolodge Hawaiian Maingate in its Hey Day ! Villa we won on "Big Breakfast". Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress. POFQ/Sheraton Safari.The wonderful Al Qasr - Dubai. 2008 Luxury and Romance in the wonderful Maldives in a Water Bungalow. 2009 Burj Al Arab/Atlantis/Al Maha.Dubai WOWWIEEE! 2010 5nts Disney's Old Key West/Contemporary./7nts Universals Portofino. 2012 Al Maha Desert Resort & Spa,Dubai and Italy. 2014 -Norfolk, Sirmione Italy, Burj Al Arab/Al Qasr, thank you to my wonderful husband.x
Nicksgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 20, 08:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Nicksgirl
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Disneyfreaks View Post
Mine has to be very very well done, no pink bits - I remember ordering a steak in Mama Melrose a few years back, I sent it back 3 times as it was pink & in the end the chef come out & told me very bluntly I should’ve just ordered a burger ! I thought that was so rude, they asked me how I wanted it cooked - I told them & then they brought me how they thought it should be cooked - three times !

Needless to say, we’ve never eaten there since !
Im with you, everytime I go to a restaurant, I remember vividly once at the California Grill too, people ordered rare and I ordered Well done, so many people left their steaks yet I ate the whole of mine. I especially dont like people telling me how to eat steak and if they dont do it how I want, I certainly dont pay for it.
x
Econolodge Hawaiian Maingate in its Hey Day ! Villa we won on "Big Breakfast". Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress. POFQ/Sheraton Safari.The wonderful Al Qasr - Dubai. 2008 Luxury and Romance in the wonderful Maldives in a Water Bungalow. 2009 Burj Al Arab/Atlantis/Al Maha.Dubai WOWWIEEE! 2010 5nts Disney's Old Key West/Contemporary./7nts Universals Portofino. 2012 Al Maha Desert Resort & Spa,Dubai and Italy. 2014 -Norfolk, Sirmione Italy, Burj Al Arab/Al Qasr, thank you to my wonderful husband.x
Nicksgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List