Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 13 Nov 20, 03:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile Triffle

Growing up my favourite desert was triffle made by my nan 🥰

I have made a trifle a few times : made the jelly, once cooled and set I put tesco finest custard (cold) straight from the tub on top of the jelly them whipped cream and decorate with chocolate flakes

Tastes delicious but the custard is basically a runny mess. My mum said that you should use packet custard ! The bright yellow stuff 🤢
Surely thats not right?
How do you make a gorgeous, creamy custard that is more firm for a triffle?
Thanks
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 20, 03:50 PM  
Link to this Post
jacqui
VIP Dibber

I use Birds custard powder and just double the amount of powder to milk. I buy the big tub.
Old 13 Nov 20, 03:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Yep good old birds custard powder in here
Is no way as yellow as it used to be I just know when it's right now if I make trifle
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 20, 04:04 PM  
Link to this Post
archibald
Imagineer

Just make a custard (cream, milk, egg. cornflour, vanilla, sugar) but make it a little stronger than pouring custard by using less cream/milk).
archibald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 20, 04:19 PM  
Link to this Post
enjibenji
Imagineer

enjibenji's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
My mum used to make ours with sponge fingers in the jelly (didn't like it with fruit) birds custard powder and dream topping with hundred and thousands yumm.
enjibenji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 20, 04:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Jedi Princess
Imagineer

Mobile

My Dad make his with Birds Custard Powder. It’s the only trifle I like.
Old 13 Nov 20, 04:23 PM  
Link to this Post
mickeyspal
Imagineer

Little story to hopefully make you laugh, when we got married almost 43 years ago we didnt have a fridge.
I wanted to impress my mum and dad that I was now a domesticated 19 year old , so I made a trifle on thursday . As we had no fridge I put it outside to set ( it was march and freezing)
On saturday I brought the set jelly inside and poured the custard on Hot!
Melted the jelly and the whole thing looked like vomit.
I have got slightly better over the years
mickeyspal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 20, 04:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Helen J
Imagineer

The ready made custard doesn't set, so you need to make your own. I use the Birds custard tub, let it go cold and pour it on. It thickens up in the fridge so it's not a runny mess. Don't use the stuff in packets though, it doesn't taste as nice as the tub.
Old 13 Nov 20, 04:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Glee Fan
Imagineer

Mobile

I use a Swiss roll at the bottom with fruit and jelly, then either make custard or use custard powder. Whipped cream and crumbled flake on the top. Yum. I want trifle now!
Glee Fan is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 20, 05:38 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Ah the old do you put jelly in trifle debate!

Edited at 09:49 PM.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List