Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 22 Nov 20, 08:12 AM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

Originally Posted by TinselAngel View Post
We had something similar in an Estate Agent’s many years ago when we were looking to buy our last house. The office in question was in a quite up-market part of the Wirral, and DH and I were in jeans and t-shirts, so not smartly dressed at all. We spent a few minutes looking at the boards of properties in our price range, then the agent points to the opposite side of the shop and says “The houses for UNDER x are over there” - we let her know we were planning on spending twice that but we certainly wouldn’t be spending it with her and promptly left.
I get the same all the time I don’t own a suit and rarely wear anything other than jeans, T-shirt and trainers the odd salesman looks at my watch and I notice their attitude change, all it means is I deal with decent smart people not pretentious knobs.
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 20, 08:50 AM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Mobile

Salesmen (in all walks of life) have 2 ears and one mouth and they should be used in those proportions
Old 22 Nov 20, 09:05 AM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

I always smile to myself when salesmen do not recognise the 'value' of the customers they have.

We live in a city where the scruffiest person with the unbrushed hair and holes in their clothes is probably an Emeritus Professor of Physics and not the local down and out or the person in shorts and sandals in the middle of winter is the billionaire owner of a high tech company.
munmun is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 20, 10:16 AM  
Link to this Post
greekgranny
Imagineer

We had the same attitude when we booked a 5star hotel in Florida over the phone with a travel company. "You do realise that it's 5star Madam" "Yes I do know how to behave and which knife and fork to use." Needless to say we booked with the hotel and they were charming.
Old 22 Nov 20, 11:56 AM  
Link to this Post
GillyD
Very Serious Dibber

Never judge a book by it's cover. We were staying at the Don Cesar hotel in St Pete's beach back in the early 2000's and a group of tattooed, long haired, torn jeans, beer swigging lads made a camp with the beach cabanas. I saw quite a few families move away but they kept themselves to themselves and just seemed to be chilling out so we ignored them. Turns out they were the rock band Korn who were performing locally and were staying in the rooftop penthouse suite of the hotel.
GillyD is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 20, 12:00 PM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Mobile

Some of you may have seen this before. A classic example of pre-judging someone and getting it wrong !

Old 22 Nov 20, 12:07 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Happens everywhere - I am - when ungroomed - a professor sprout lookalike... shortish, roundish, hair a curly mess...

I had stomach trouble - probable Gall bladder issues - go to the doctor looking like that with casual clothes on and got "lifestyle choices" leaflets. Go to the doctor with hair straightened, high heels and business suit... oh, we'll refer you...

I always dress up to go to the doc now - it is amazing how much more seriously you are taken.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 20, 12:13 PM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Originally Posted by WhereIBelong View Post
Happens everywhere - I am - when ungroomed - a professor sprout lookalike... shortish, roundish, hair a curly mess...

I had stomach trouble - probable Gall bladder issues - go to the doctor looking like that with casual clothes on and got "lifestyle choices" leaflets. Go to the doctor with hair straightened, high heels and business suit... oh, we'll refer you...

I always dress up to go to the doc now - it is amazing how much more seriously you are taken.
I had a telephone consultation with a GP from my surgery, she was clearly young, probably a trainee. I simply wanted a repeat prescription required by a hospital consultant authorised again.

She was reluctant until I mentioned my daughter is an endocrinologist, suddenly she fell over backwards to do what I asked. Sad but true, clothes and who you know makes a difference!
munmun is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 20, 12:22 PM  
Link to this Post
floridasgirl
Imagineer

Originally Posted by TinselAngel View Post
We had something similar in an Estate Agent’s many years ago when we were looking to buy our last house. The office in question was in a quite up-market part of the Wirral, and DH and I were in jeans and t-shirts, so not smartly dressed at all. We spent a few minutes looking at the boards of properties in our price range, then the agent points to the opposite side of the shop and says “The houses for UNDER x are over there” - we let her know we were planning on spending twice that but we certainly wouldn’t be spending it with her and promptly left.
This is why the famous Pretty Woman scene is so good!

Years ago a friends parents (who were very well off) were looking at buying 2 Rolexs. They walked into a jewelers looking at the Rokeby display and were directed to 'more affordable' options! They obviously weren't dressed appropriately to buy expensive watches in the shops eyes!
Christmas/New Year 1999/2000 Indian Ridge Villa, May 2001 Fort Lauderdale /I Drive/Port Charlotte/Key West/Miami, May 2005 Westhaven Villa, April 2006 Rotunda Villa/Highlands Reserve Villa, June 2007 Sanibel Villa/Grand Cypress Villas, Christmas/New Year 2010/2011 Lake Wilson Preserve Villa, July/Aug 2012 reunion resort villa, Nov 2012 new York new York!
floridasgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 20, 01:22 PM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

The man who designed and fitted my bathroom was very good. First thing he asked was what colour scheme I had in mind. He then brought round a selection of tiles & flooring of various textures, finishes & materials so I could decide if that colour scheme would work (which it did).

I wasn’t pushed into a quick decision but I wasn’t overwhelmed with too many options - I would have found it difficult to decide !

I ended up spending more than my budget because he showed me different price ranges and I just happened to prefer the higher end 😱

He was a very subtle and effective salesman. He ended up fitting 3 bathrooms down our road within 4 months !
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List