Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 29 May 20, 10:09 AM  
Link to this Post
mazzadee
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile Advice on returning to work

Hi I am a teaching assistant who is classed as at risk. I have been put on the rota two days a week starting next week. We have received very little information about how the school will run beyond working in bubbles. I am struggling with feeling safe to return to work and wondered if anyone had knowledge of my rights in this situation. I want to return and to play my part but I am struggling to have confidence in my workplace being safe with such little information. If anyone has any advice I would be very grateful.
Old 29 May 20, 10:15 AM  
Link to this Post
aqualiv
Imagineer

Extremely hard to socially distance as a teaching assistant
Can you voice your concerns to the head, see if you have options
aqualiv is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 20, 10:22 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by mazzadee View Post
Hi I am a teaching assistant who is classed as at risk. I have been put on the rota two days a week starting next week. We have received very little information about how the school will run beyond working in bubbles. I am struggling with feeling safe to return to work and wondered if anyone had knowledge of my rights in this situation. I want to return and to play my part but I am struggling to have confidence in my workplace being safe with such little information. If anyone has any advice I would be very grateful.
I am sure that safety has been considered, I would suggest you request a phone call prior to going back to ask about the measures.

Otherwise, I don’t think there would be any particular rights, it is reasonable for an employer to expect employees come to work. However perhaps you could ask about taking unpaid leave until such time as you feel more comfortable?
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 20, 01:46 PM  
Link to this Post
JLH
Imagineer

Mobile

I think your school should have sent all staff a risk assessment-have you been asked to shield? I don’t think the staff at both my nursery and school that are shielding have been asked to come back .
Old 29 May 20, 01:49 PM  
Link to this Post
7SeasSailor
Imagineer

Contact your union rep.
Old 29 May 20, 02:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Mobile

You should definitely have been sent a risk assessment. Please check and ask for one if not.
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 20, 02:41 PM  
Link to this Post
traceylou1972
Apprentice Imagineer

traceylou1972's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
The DFe guidelines say if you are classed as shielding, a member of your household is shieding or you are in the vulnerable group you shouldn’t be in school. I would be ringing your HT as soon as possible.
Cheyenne Aug 01, Circus Dec 03 ,DCR Dec 04, Magic Circus Dec 05, Kyriad NYE 07, Sequoia Feb 08, Val de Eur Jun 08, Cheyenne Oct 08, Magic Circus Jul 09, DH Feb 10, Newport Bay Feb 11, Kryiad Nov 11, Circus Jan 13 Sept 93 I Drive, Jul 07 Villa,Apr 09 Villa, Oct 10 Villa, Apr 11 Cruise & Villa, Xmas 11 Villa, July 12 Villa, Apr 14 Villa, Apr 15 Cruise & Villa, Dec 15 Villa, Aug 17 Villa & Cruise, Oct 18 Villa, Aug 19
traceylou1972 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 20, 02:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Eden
Very Serious Dibber

At risk how?
Unless you are on the shielding register I think you are expected to return to work.
I'm a nurse, and staff with Asthma, Diabetes, High Blood Pressure, Over 60 etc have all still been working and expected to work
2019 - Disney’s Caribbean Beach Resort
2024 - Clearwater/Orlando/Cheerleading Competition!
Eden is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 20, 05:36 PM  
Link to this Post
srh
slightly serious Dibber

Every LEA has their own risk assessment and advice and that is what you need to check.

I can only speak for my own LEA which advises that pregnant women with a heart condition or those that have received a letter stating that they are EXTREMELY (that’s important) vulnerable, should work remotely.

You should speak to your head teacher with your concerns and how you would suggest proceeding. You may be able to be in the school building doing work away from children and other adults, you may be able to work on given tasks remotely, or you may be able to take unpaid leave.

Good luck with however you proceed.
Old 29 May 20, 06:18 PM  
Link to this Post
disney1st timer
Imagineer

Mobile

My sister is a TA in a school of special needs children and has had to work this entire time even though she’s vulnerable. She contacted her union and there was nothing she could do.
2018 - Villa in Davenport
2022 - Blue Tree Resort
disney1st timer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List