Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 12 Sep 20, 02:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Jan
Imagineer

Jan's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Painting upstairs wooden window frames - looking for advice please

Our double glazed window surrounds are made from mahogany and badly need a new coat of Sikkens, a kind of preservative varnish. I am going to try and have a go myself by doing it from the inside of the house through the opened windows. I was thinking of using a brush with a long handle on the uprights and paint pads on the horizontals. Anyone got any thoughts and recommendations on this method. Or any other ideas? We simply do not have the spare cash to pay someone. 😟

One problem I cannot seem to resolve is where I should have the paint pot. Any clues on this too please?
Jan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 20, 06:58 AM  
Link to this Post
malt1977
Apprentice Imagineer

In all honesty, you’d be better off getting it done professionally. They would sand back the wood and then apply the Sikkens, most likely 2 coats.
malt1977 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 20, 07:01 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Really daft 😀, get ladders rub down properly and then coat with whatever product is best.
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 20, 08:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Jan
Imagineer

Jan's Reviews
Thanks for the suggestions.

Firstly, we are retired and on ever-shrinking pensions. Due to circumstances over the last 12 months, we have no spare cash.

Secondly DH is 80 and I am 75. Neither of us are keen on climbing up a ladder to the first floor.

For both reasons DIY seems to be our only option. 😩
Jan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 20, 09:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Jan. yes a ladder is the best way but in your circumstances not recommended. So we come to what can you do.

My advice is to accept you can only do so much and it won’t be a top job but whatever you do is better than letting it rot. So windows wide open, rub down as best as you can and wash down properly. When dry get two coats on.
Now some of that will be impossible to reach but I’m sure with a long handled brush most of it will be accessible.

Something like this. This is from Screwfix but you can get them on Amazon etc.

screwfix/p/harris-tr...-brush-2/9736x

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 20, 09:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Jan
Imagineer

Jan's Reviews
Thank you, Mr T, for your continued support. Much appreciated.
Old 14 Sep 20, 10:12 PM  
Link to this Post
kiwiinabd
Very Serious Dibber

Buy a small paint scuttle so you don't have the full weight of a can of paint. There are different shapes of scuttles on screwfix that get good reviews from decorators

Could you use a clamp or fabricate a bracket so you can support the scuttle on the window sill outside ?

Have plenty of cloths available to wipe any drips ? Also think about how to reach a paint drip that's further away !

Could you install some masking tape to limit any overpaint on the glass ?

Practise on a downstairs window first if possible to perfect your technique !
kiwiinabd is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 20, 11:39 PM  
Link to this Post
kk20
Imagineer

Mobile

You should really rub down first. Sikkens oil will clump split dried varnish and look awful. As for the pot, pour into a smaller pot and hook onto open window.

It can be done, me and OH did the 'lean out of window' as one window is over the large conservatory (it would have needed scaffolding).
kk20 is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 20, 06:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Bellasmummy
Imagineer

Mobile

We’ve just done all of ours this summer. For the high windows that weren’t easily accessible we hired a mini scaffold tower for the week. Much safer than a ladder as you climb inside and stand in the box formed at the top. I think we paid about £100.

Our windows were rubbed down thoroughly with sandpaper and then a dremel used on the fiddly bits. Three coats of sikkens, I think 2 base coats and 1 top coat but might have been 1 & 2.

We spent a fortune just on the sikkens, that stuff is pricy.
Bellasmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List