Notices
Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Theme Parks Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 24 Aug 20, 05:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Girlw0nder
VIP Dibber

I have no idea where to start!

Hi all,
We were supposed to be going on our 4th trip to WDW Next year for the 50th anniversary, however we’ve decided against it due to everything going on, crowd levels etc.

However after watching Tim Tracker’s amazing trip to Tokyo DL I have fallen in love with it, but have absolutely no idea where to start! We usually fly VA or BA but any recommendations welcome.

I’m going to be doing a lot of DIBB reading, but if you could point me in the right direction that would be great. How long do you recommend going for? I’m thinking 8 days? We usually go to Florida for 21 days so in theory this should save us some money...

Any advice of where to start would be wonderful And hotel recommendations is Disney worth it and do you get any extras - dining plans etc?
Thank you all so much. It’s great you be back here again and in planning mode!
💛
3 weeks Cocoa Beach, Regal Oaks, CBR & HRH August 2015
Birthday trip NYC April 2016
East Coast 7 state Road Trip Aug 2017
West Coast Arizona, Nevada & California Aug 2018

TAKE ME BACK!
Girlw0nder is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 20, 06:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Not been yet (we were supposed to go this November but it will be postponed).

TDR Explorer's YouTube videos and e-book are really useful. Several trippies on here to read too.

Here's hoping we get there!
DLP: day trips 2000, 2003; Cheyenne Sep 2009, Feb 2011, Nov 2018; Sequoia Lodge June 2008, May 2012; Elysee May 2012, Jan 2013, Sep 2013; Disneyland Hotel Mar 2015, Santa Fe Nov 2016; Newport Bay Sep 2017, Ibis Sep 2019, Hotel NY Art of Marvel Nov 2021
WDW: Port Orleans Riverside Dec 10; SSR Nov 14
Gill H is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 20, 06:54 PM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

Hi - I would agree with all said above!

We flew using Virgin airmiles and got seats on ANA from London to Haneda.

We are doing it again for our trip next May but flying via Frankfurt from Glasgow as saves us so much money in taxes / fees.

My bible for research was Youtuber thisNatasha - she has been a few times (often goes on bigger trips to Japan) and her guides to TDR and Tokyo were on the nose for me.

Where to start?
Where do you want to go, Disney and Tokyo or wider afield?
When do you want to go?

We picked early May for both trips, the prices drop after Golden Week in Japan (but that is when cherry blossom is out so we missed that) and before the oppressive heat and rain of summer started.

We wanted to just do Tokyo for our 10 days as we anted to see the mega city, but did have a day trip to Kyoto to see the old capital and loved it. Two days at Disney (a day each) was what I agreed with my partner as they are not a Disney fan. However, they were blown away by the parks (especially Disney Sea) and are happy to go again next May

Hotels - we stayed at Hilton Tokyo Bay for our Disney stay, before moving to a hotel in the city at Shibuya - and doing a similar split this time. I went with the Hilton as I have Gold status in their rewards scheme so get free benefits, the hotel is across the road from a Disney monorail station and by comparison to the hotel in Tokyo itself, the room has huge! Also, they treated us like gods there, nevber felt my Gold status got me much of anything in the UK ("here, have a bottle of water!") but in Japan made to feel special.

That is my starter for 10 for you, please ask more questions if you want, I love love love talking about Tokyo and Disney there to anyone who will listen .

No question is too small or dumb - just ask here and myself and others will chip in.

]I have bored my partner by watching so many YouTube videos of Disney and Tokyo - if got a question I can probably point out a YT video on it lol.

Things you do not know about yet that will make the trip a bit easier or cheaper... Suica card... Japan Rail Pass... oh it is all coming back to me lol

FYI I was rather scared about language and food before we went, but we were fine and had an amazing time and the food is not all fish if you do not want it to be

Edited at 07:11 PM.
AntonyJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 20, 06:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Wordsworth
Very Serious Dibber

Possibly controversial given this is the DIBB but I don’t think anyone should go to Japan and spend a lot of time just at Disney - it’s such a great country with so much to see that, as much as I enjoyed two days at TD when we did our second two-week trip, we didn’t go to Disney at all on our first two-week stay. We are booked for a third trip next March but this time sticking just to Tokyo for 8 days - we’ve tended to travel around in the past.

I would recommend looking at what the tour companies offer by ways of itineraries to get insight into what you might like to do - even if you don’t book it through them, it might give you some ideas. We’ve used inside japan in the past insidejapantours/sel...apan-holidays/

Edited at 06:55 PM.
Wordsworth is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 20, 07:07 PM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

Just seen you say you fly VA , do you have a good number of airmiles with them?
AntonyJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 20, 07:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Wordsworth View Post
Possibly controversial given this is the DIBB but I don’t think anyone should go to Japan and spend a lot of time just at Disney - it’s such a great country with so much to see that, as much as I enjoyed two days at TD when we did our second two-week trip, we didn’t go to Disney at all on our first two-week stay. We are booked for a third trip next March but this time sticking just to Tokyo for 8 days - we’ve tended to travel around in the past.

I would recommend looking at what the tour companies offer by ways of itineraries to get insight into what you might like to do - even if you don’t book it through them, it might give you some ideas. We’ve used inside japan in the past insidejapantours/sel...apan-holidays/
I totally agree with you. We were there last year and spent one day at a DisneySea and that was it. We really enjoyed it but we were there to see Japan itself. Having said that if others want to just do Disney then it doesn’t bother me.

We are hoping to go next year again (had to cancel this year) and won’t visit any theme parks.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 20, 08:09 AM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

I agree about seeing more of Japan - fascinating country. I did a 9 day coach tour and loved every minute.
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 20, 08:27 AM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

I did a live trip report on our holiday to Japan if you want a read?
We flew with Emirates and did a stop over in Dubai which I would recommend if you are wanting a relaxing break before or after your trip. We stopped on the way out but I should have done it the other way!
We stayed in Airbnb’s rather than hotels and stayed in Tokyo, Kanazawa and also Kyoto. With being in Kyoto it meant we were close enough to Osaka to visit Universal studios also and Hiroshima which I think is worth a visit, though I found it incredibly sad. Taking the train everywhere is easy.. trains are always on time. It wasn’t cheap though. I think it was well over £1000 for 2ad, 1 teen and 1 child. You need to buy passes before you leave and it does work out cheaper than paying for each trip. Please don’t just go to Disney. Japan has so many other wonderful things to discover. It would be a shame to go all that way and not see them.
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 20, 09:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Girlw0nder
VIP Dibber

Thank you so much for all your help so far.
We are thinking 8-10 days at easter or summer holidays as we have school aged children (13 and 15 if we go next year) I need to see if the olympics are taking place next year, if they are it's looking more likely 2022...
We are definitely up for travelling around Japan, we like to travel, hence our 1000 mile road US trips to the most weird and wonderful places!
We don't have many miles with VA unfortunately, the last few trips we have flown BA and accumulated points with them so this may be our best option, I will have to have a look into this.

We are also looking at going to Universal Japan, if Mario Land is open then this would be awesome... I have already looked at TDRexplorer train ride and after negotiating the NY subway fairy competently I think this is a goer for a 2-3 day trip.

We are thinking 4 days at the Hilton Disney, then 1-2 days exploring Tokyo and then train ride over to Osaka to do USJ and explore that area 3 days before flying home.

Lots of planning to do, but I am genuinely excited and shocked at myself. I have never wanted to fly East before but it looks AMAZING!

Thanks again, this place rocks!
3 weeks Cocoa Beach, Regal Oaks, CBR & HRH August 2015
Birthday trip NYC April 2016
East Coast 7 state Road Trip Aug 2017
West Coast Arizona, Nevada & California Aug 2018

TAKE ME BACK!
Girlw0nder is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 20, 09:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Girlw0nder View Post
Thank you so much for all your help so far.
We are thinking 8-10 days at easter or summer holidays as we have school aged children (13 and 15 if we go next year) I need to see if the olympics are taking place next year, if they are it's looking more likely 2022...
We are definitely up for travelling around Japan, we like to travel, hence our 1000 mile road US trips to the most weird and wonderful places!
We don't have many miles with VA unfortunately, the last few trips we have flown BA and accumulated points with them so this may be our best option, I will have to have a look into this.

We are also looking at going to Universal Japan, if Mario Land is open then this would be awesome... I have already looked at TDRexplorer train ride and after negotiating the NY subway fairy competently I think this is a goer for a 2-3 day trip.

We are thinking 4 days at the Hilton Disney, then 1-2 days exploring Tokyo and then train ride over to Osaka to do USJ and explore that area 3 days before flying home.

Lots of planning to do, but I am genuinely excited and shocked at myself. I have never wanted to fly East before but it looks AMAZING!

Thanks again, this place rocks!
Sounds like you already have a clear plan of the type of things you want to do.🥰

We travelled in the height of summer and if you’ve ever been to Orlando at this time you’ll know how humid it is. Double it for Japan.😂
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List