Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 3 Jan 20, 08:06 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile Will we hate Holland America

Hi all

Trying to find an itinerary that ticks a few boxes and meets our prescribed dates and can only find one with HAL.

We’ve cruised with DCL, NCL, Celebrity and love them all for different reasons (dining, value for money, entertainment, beverage package!).

I’m worried HAL may be too ‘old’ or ‘formal’ for us. It’s a two week cruise so I don’t want to dislike being onboard even though it’s the ports of call that are most appealing.

Appreciate any thoughts :-)

Thanks
Karen
Old 3 Jan 20, 11:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Love*my*hols
Imagineer

Mobile

No,we did the South America cruise with HAL and loved it . It was not too formal and didn't notice the guests were particularly old.The entertainment was Ok,food was good,crew were excellent and would certainly cruise with them again .
Old 3 Jan 20, 11:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

We’ve cruised with HAL in the Caribbean(x2), Far East (x4), Alaska and Mediterranean (x3). They aren’t formal but the age range does vary - the Caribbean cruisers were old but elsewhere there was a good mix but very few (if any) children.
Omega1 is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jan 20, 01:46 AM  
Link to this Post
dee slack
Imagineer

it probably depends on the ship and / or itinerary but we wouldn't rush back with them TBH.
We're 2 adults (active early 50's) and were on Zaandam for 16 nights (many sea days) and thought the daytime activities poor, the evening entertainment also poor, the food decent enough (but annoyed at the buffet as they served you everything which took so long) but found the crew were really friendly and helpful - probably among the best we've come across over 23 cruises.
We were pleasantly surprised with the varied ages on board as we were expecting mostly old people but that probably depends on the itinerary (we were on South America).
Disney Magic 1998*Rocky Mountaineer 2002*Italy 03 *Kenya safari 03*US S'west 04 *Dubai 04*China & Hong Kong 05*Royal Clipper 05*Sth Africa,Swaziland, Zambia,Botswana 06*India 06*Iceland 07*WDW VR 07*Tanzania 11*Japan 12*DCL EBTA 13*HK DL, Angkor Wat Cambodia,Vietnam,Thailand,Singapore 2014* DCL EBPC 14*Galapagos, Machu Picchu 15*DCL Hawaii 15*Australia,Bali 16*Asian parks 17*Alaska & polar bears 18*ABC's & Cuba cruise
dee slack is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jan 20, 10:29 AM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

Thank you all. That’s very helpful.

Omega - we wouldn’t be travelling with any children so the lack onboard is a bonus for me!

It’s an Asian two week itinerary

Dee - you sound similar to us in age and likes / dislikes.

I don’t think it’s on one of their newer (nicer? ) ships, the Noordam? In case any of you have sailed on her?
Old 4 Jan 20, 10:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
Thank you all. That’s very helpful.

Omega - we wouldn’t be travelling with any children so the lack onboard is a bonus for me!

It’s an Asian two week itinerary

Dee - you sound similar to us in age and likes / dislikes.

I don’t think it’s on one of their newer (nicer? ) ships, the Noordam? In case any of you have sailed on her?
We sailed on the Noordam in the Med 10 years ago. We liked the design of the ship. If you need any info on the Far East itineraries, give us a shout.
In 2015 we did a b2b on the Volendam from HK to Singapore and then from Singapore to Myanmar and back. In 2017 we sailed from Singapore to Indonesia and back and then from Singapore to HK, again on the Volendam.

Edited at 10:56 AM.
Omega1 is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jan 20, 11:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Jan
Imagineer

Jan's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
The reason for them putting the buffet food on the plates of guests is to stop guests overloading plates and not eating half the food. Also it is more hygienic that way.

Edited at 11:14 AM.
Jan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jan 20, 11:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Jan
Imagineer

Jan's Reviews
Formal nights as such really don’t exist any more, although guests can wear formal attire in the dining room if they wish. Personally I hate it when guests don’t make any effort at all to wear nice clothes for evening meals.

You might find this website useful.

cruisecritic/

On the top towards the right you will see the word “Boards” in blue, which will take you to boards run very much like the Dibb. There is such a wealth of information there.

Enjoy your cruise. I am jealous!
Jan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jan 20, 11:34 AM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Jan View Post
Formal nights as such really don’t exist any more, although guests can wear formal attire in the dining room if they wish. Personally I hate it when guests don’t make any effort at all to wear nice clothes for evening meals.

You might find this website useful.

cruisecritic/

On the top towards the right you will see the word “Boards” in blue, which will take you to boards run very much like the Dibb. There is such a wealth of information there.

Enjoy your cruise. I am jealous!
When we were last on HAL in 2017, the Maitre D’ wouldn’t allow men without jackets and ties in the dining room on formal nights. He had a rail with a selection of jackets and ties for ‘non-believers’.
Old 4 Jan 20, 11:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Jan
Imagineer

Jan's Reviews
Originally Posted by Omega1 View Post
When we were last on HAL in 2017, the Maitre D’ wouldn’t allow men without jackets and ties in the dining room on formal nights. He had a rail with a selection of jackets and ties for ‘non-believers’.
Ooh, I love that!