Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 20 Nov 19, 02:31 PM  
Link to this Post
catherinesian
Imagineer

Cost of DLP vs cost of WDW

I just had a nosy at the free dining deal at DLP, considering going there over my 30th birthday in July 2021 (I realise these prices are based on 2020 but it gives me an idea!)

DLP - 5 nights with free half board at Sequoia Lodge with 5 day park hopper and Eurostar - £1,770 for two adults with €100 gift card.
£354 per night (or £300 if you exclude Eurostar cost).

WDW - 14 nights Coronado Springs with free QSDP, 14 days park tickets, direct flights budgeting £4k for two adults. Speculating at a $300 gift card. £285 per night (or £228 excluding budgeted flight amount of £800). Based on my 2019 prices + 10%.

Both 'off peak'. I realise DLP is great for a shorter Disney fix but I was surprised at the difference in cost per night for what I see as a lesser offering (2 parks vs 6 parks!).

Think I will use the extra holiday for 2 weeks rather than 1 and stick to WDW!

Next trip to WDW Sept 2024 for our Wedding
catherinesian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Nov 19, 02:39 PM  
Link to this Post
chids
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

I'd always thought of it as a way of getting a cheap Disney fix and have been pricing up for next year a WDW is out of the question. I was shocked to find it was over £1500 next year for 2 adults and 2 children for two nights. I don't care if it's Disney or not I can't justify that price.
Old 20 Nov 19, 02:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Stitchfan626
VIP Dibber

I understand the maths per night, however I'll have been to DLP 3 times this year by next month, and there is no way on earth I could afford a trip to WDW at the moment.

I bought Infinity annual passes for my son and I back in April and through booking flights early and using Tesco clubcard points have had some real bargain trips. Next month is costing me £100 for Magic Circus for 2 nights and return flights for us both cost about £130 in total. Obviously I'll need to buy food when there but I really can't complain with that price for a Christmas Disney Fix!
1995 WDW (offsite) , 1998 DLP (Newport Bay Club), 2001, 2002, 2003 DLP (Hotel Hew York), 2004 WDW (offsite), 2005 DLP (Hotel Hew York), 2007 WDW (Grand Floridian), 2008 DLP (Hotel Hew York), 2011 DLP (Hotel Cheyenne), 2015 DLP (Hotel Hew York), May 2016 DLP (Newport Bay Club), December 2016 DLP (Sequoia Lodge Golden Forest Room), April 2017 WDW (Animal Kingdom Lodge), June 2019 DLP (Hotel Cheyenne), August 2019 DLP (Vienna Dream Castle), December 2019 DLP (Magic Circus)
Stitchfan626 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Nov 19, 02:42 PM  
Link to this Post
akhurstf1
VIP Dibber

We wanted a trip to DLP during February Half Term and it worked out cheaper for one of us to purchase an annual pass to get the hotel discount. This does also help we will be planning another trip to DLP sometime next year.
Old 20 Nov 19, 03:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Mobile

With both, you need to research - there are lots of cheaper ways.

Our last trip cost:

£200 Eurostar returns
£209 for 3 nights in Ibis hotel 10 min away

We bought annual passes which will pay for themselves if you do about 4 nights over 12 months.

Then there are considerations like - avoiding weekends and public holidays, going off season, booking travel separately, and of course things like checking for deals - there is always a deal! Look on other countries’ versions of the website too.
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Nov 19, 04:00 PM  
Link to this Post
catherinesian
Imagineer

I absolutely understand that with DLP you can 'do it cheaper' by staying offsite. But the same can be said about WDW.

I was just interested to see the price per night, for a comparable onsite package both with free dining in similar standard hotels, was so much more for DLP considering the no of parks vs WDW. I expected it to be cheaper or the same, meaning a trip to DLP would tend to be cheaper a) because you don't go for as long and b) because travel to DLP would typically be cheaper than flights to USA.

Edited at 04:01 PM.
catherinesian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Nov 19, 04:02 PM  
Link to this Post
sammykitten
Imagineer

Mobile

Apart from them being apples and pears as far as types of Disney holiday go, you also need to factor in travel and travel costs while you are there. For example we are looking at a trip to DLP next springtime, all adults. Flights transfers and park tickets/annual passes don’t come to much more than £270 each. Same things for Orlando would be in the region of £800 each. In addition there is loads of offsite accommodation at DLP which is truly walkable to the parks, so you don’t need Uber/taxis/car hire.
I wouldn’t stay onsite at either DLP or WDW without a decent discount offer, for DLP 35% off is decent, even better if it comes with a free meal plan.
sammykitten is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Nov 19, 04:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Mobile

Blame Disney! Since they fully took over DLP, hotel costs have rocketed.

But even onsite, there are cheaper times and ways, just like there are with WDW.
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Nov 19, 04:09 PM  
Link to this Post
catherinesian
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sammykitten View Post
Apart from them being apples and pears as far as types of Disney holiday go, you also need to factor in travel and travel costs while you are there. For example we are looking at a trip to DLP next springtime, all adults. Flights transfers and park tickets/annual passes don’t come to much more than £270 each. Same things for Orlando would be in the region of £800 each. In addition there is loads of offsite accommodation at DLP which is truly walkable to the parks, so you don’t need Uber/taxis/car hire.
I wouldn’t stay onsite at either DLP or WDW without a decent discount offer, for DLP 35% off is decent, even better if it comes with a free meal plan.
That's exactly my point re the apples and pears, having visited both I know that WDW is superior to DLP with 3 x as many parks. So how does it make sense that the one that offers less is so much more expensive.

I don't need to factor in travel costs in my comparison as both are onsite stays with complimentary travel.

I think the offer I was looking at was 25% off with free meal plan and €100 voucher. Does it get any better than that for onsite stays?

Old 20 Nov 19, 04:19 PM  
Link to this Post
sammykitten
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by catherinesian View Post
That's exactly my point re the apples and pears, having visited both I know that WDW is superior to DLP with 3 x as many parks. So how does it make sense that the one that offers less is so much more expensive.

I don't need to factor in travel costs in my comparison as both are onsite stays with complimentary travel.

I think the offer I was looking at was 25% off with free meal plan and €100 voucher. Does it get any better than that for onsite stays?
Do you mean you travel from home to either Paris or Orlando completely free? I think that’s what makes the difference for most of us who love both DLP and WDW, we can get to DLP much more cheaply than to WDW, which makes the possibility of going more often achievable (and then that brings in the value to be had getting annual passes, even if you want to stay onsite).
Another major plus for me at DLP is that everything is close together, you can walk between the parks and the village and the resort hotels. It makes for a relaxing time even if you only have 3 or 4 days there 😊.
sammykitten is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List