Old 18 Jan 09, 06:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Cannavar
Imagineer

Cannavar's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 3
The long trip down under part 1

Here goes. Bear with us on this as its our first trip report. The original plan was to write this as we went along and post it each day but as with all great plans it didn't quite work like that.

Onto the trip. We were heading first to LA for 3 nights staying at the Disneyland Hotel. Then onto Sydney to meet up with my sister and her family before going on a whistle stop tour of the Australian East coast. Then Xmas with big Sis before New Years in Sydney and then back via San Fran. It was 30 days in total and I have no intention of producing a day by day trip report for the whole 30 days ;o) so will attempt to break it up into chunks.

The crew: Myself, now firmly in my 30s :o( ; the good wife who's rapidly catching me up; DS1 who is 8 and DS2 who is 4.

We were flying from Heathrow with United and as normal it was an early start. Heres the boys tired but excited:

We always get excited once the airport car is loaded and we are on the way. Its like all the planning is over and its time to enjoy We got up to LHR in good time and once again were very pleased we'd traveled up via airport car which dropped us right off outsoide the United check in and our bags had just metres to go. We had a swift bag drop as I'd checked in the night before so it off for a spot of coffee/breakfast in terminal one before swiftly through security. It was quick and easy and far far better than Gatwick last year! We relaxed for a bit while I phoned up to find out how my sons football team were getting on with out us. I manage the team as well as DS1 playing so it was a big thing to miss 3 weeks worth! Luckily they won both their games and I felt better as we went through to the boarding gate. The boys decided to take pictures of the plane and managed to get the one below before being told they were not allowed to under airport law?!?!?! What was that about... bit heavy handed!

We all boarded with no issues and realised for the first of many times on the trip that the cabin crew were a touch above the UK airlines. Most were over 40 and experienced in how to look after their customers. The type of service that I think Virgin and their young crews can only dream off. Just our opinion ;o)

After a few hours into the flight DS2 started to go down hill, and he was making very good use of the sick backs from all nearby seats. He's not someone who gets airsick and despite me hoping otherwise, the Mrs knew there was more to it than simple air sickness.

We arrived in LA and as normal were pleased with how efficient and friendly all the US customs people were. They joke with the boys and seem to take pride in welcoming us back. We had booked the Disneyland Express to take us to the hotel. We'd normally book a transfer but the bus's main stop was our hotel so it made perfect sense. It arrived with a couple of mins (in which time at least 2 other people pretended to be Disneyland Express vans LOL ) and we were at the hotel in around an hour. Check in was nice and easy and despite attempts to swing a free upgrade to the Disney suite we were upgraded to a pool view which was very nice indeed! We had the bags sent up to the room and wandered through the grounds to the Dreams Tower which I was hoping for when I booked. Its the central of the 3 towers that make up the Disneyland Hotel and has views over either the resort or the Pool/grounds. None of the pictures below can do the room justice and it looks far far nicer in person. Of all the Disney hotels we've stayed in or visited, this is by far our fav. Its not got the theming of the Orlando resorts but its size and attention to detail is superb.

Mickey lamp shade in the bath area which was HUGE!

Engraved head boards on the beds.

TV cabinet with a design of the park engraved on it.

Another Mickey lamp shade, this one in the bedroom.

The view from our balcony was very pretty indeed. During the day we could see the pool and gardens and aside from the odd squealing child in the pool it was very peaceful indeed. Once the night descended we were treated to the gorgeous lights that make resort look so magical at night. Captain Hooks ship's sails were lit up along with the pool. Again, photos really don't do it justice!

With DS2 feeling more than a little sorry for himself and giving hints of the drama to come, we settled down for the evening, not able to make our first planned meal of the trip to the ESPN cafe. Myself and DS1 did pop down to the mini store to pick up some snacks to keep us going though and we might have stopped at the DVC barrow on the way through the grounds for a chat too lol. We arranged to pop to the DVC offices during our stay for a chat and look round.

Thats pretty much day one done. I need a breather so I'll sort out day 2/3/4 soon :o)

Part 2 : http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=268168
Hawaii 12
Southern States Tour 15
Vancouver and Pacific NW 16
Canadian and US Road Trip 18
The short hop over the pond trip report
The Long Trip Down Under trip report

Edited at 10:28 PM.
Cannavar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 09, 06:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Reetser
Imagineer

Reetser's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 9
Your room looks fabulous, hope your DS2 had a good nights rest ready for the park. Looking forward to hearing more please dont rest too long .
Reetser is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 09, 08:34 PM  
Link to this Post
juless77
Imagineer

Great reading 30 days on holiday you lucky things
Hampton Inn Pointe Orlando Feb 2010
Hampton Inn Pointe Orlando Sept 2011/2013
juless77 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 09, 10:36 AM  
Link to this Post

Great start... looking forward to reading more.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 09, 10:57 AM  
Link to this Post
kissimmee girl
Imagineer

Oh your poor 8 year old looks so tired. you can see him battling on trying to smile. Really looking forward to the rest of your trip. it would be my dream to go to Australia. If only i wasn't so obsessed with florida I might be able to save up.
kissimmee girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 09, 11:58 AM  
Link to this Post
lov2dibb
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 11
Guidebook Reviews: 7
What a shame you little one got so sick on the plane.

Looking forward to reading more - what a good idea to go to Australia via California - hmm...you're giving me ideas here...

Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy

DVC Member: BLT, BCV, SSR
lov2dibb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 09, 12:31 PM  
Link to this Post
spencem
Apprentice Imagineer

Great start, looking forward to the rest.

I think we were in LA about the same time so it'll be interesting to see your experiences there.
spencem is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 09, 05:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Cannavar
Imagineer

Cannavar's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Sorry, working on part 2 Thanks for the comments.
Hawaii 12
Southern States Tour 15
Vancouver and Pacific NW 16
Canadian and US Road Trip 18
The short hop over the pond trip report
The Long Trip Down Under trip report

Cannavar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 09, 09:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Fairy+4
Dibbing with Tink

Fairy+4's Reviews
Other than your little one being poorly a lovely start to the holiday xx
Old 5 Aug 09, 07:54 AM  
Link to this Post
mrsdtob
Excited about Disney

Great start and great pics, hope he wasn't ill for too long into the holiday
mrsdtob is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List