Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 5 Sep 20, 10:29 AM  
Link to this Post
juless77
Imagineer

how to get help Pensions /benefits?

I am asking on behalf of my step mum and dad Since lock down dad has been on universal credit having worked all his life mum gets a state pension and nothing else. They are having to pay full rent and full council tax which doesn't leave a lot left .To me this doesn't sound right and im sure they must be entitled to more help .We have been in touch with AGE UK who weren't any help at all who just gave us phone numbers to ring. Due to staff shortages no one answers the phone we have tried to ring the local council but again without success . This has been going on since March obviously we are helping as much as we can but we can only do so much financially does anyone know where else they could reach out to or been in the current situation
Hampton Inn Pointe Orlando Feb 2010
Hampton Inn Pointe Orlando Sept 2011/2013
juless77 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 20, 10:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I would contact Citizens Advice Bureau. I believe there is a really helpful Dibber who works there and I’m sure she will be along to help. Unfortunately I can’t remember her username.
I hope your step parents get some help. The system doesn’t seem to work for those who have worked all their lives.
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 20, 10:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Andy C
Imagineer

Local Councils are often running at 50% staffing levels or under (as many staff are seconded to the Local Resilience Forum setups that are handling covid). This makes for difficulty in contacting them, so try contacting your local councillor. He or she will email or call the council officers and they’ll likely respond faster to the councillor.
Andy C is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 20, 10:55 AM  
Link to this Post
dubletrub
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 3
Have a look on the local council site, ours has all the info you would need on there. I think for rent you have to go through Universal Credit and if eligible for help they pay you what you are entitled to.
Council tax, there is a link on our council site which lets you know if you are entitled to help

Sorry they find themselves here x
dubletrub is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 20, 11:03 AM  
Link to this Post
marlouwrig
VIP Dibber

When I used to work at CAB we used to signpost clients to Turn2Us who have a really good benefits calculator. We used to have a really long wait time for face to face interviews with an advisor and most people just needed to know where to go to to get the information they needed.

turn2us.uk/

Hope this helps

DVC Member BCV, BLT & VGC
marlouwrig is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 20, 01:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Munchkinmouse
Surfing at Typhoon Lagoon

There is a housing element which is paid as part of Universal Credit, however, this relies on housing costs being reported when making the claim and having been 'verified' by DWP. It can be easy for people to miss reporting them, especially when they are not used to using the online system. So the first thing I would check would be that their housing has been reported and included in their payment, perhaps see if you can look at their online account with them.
Munchkinmouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 20, 08:18 PM  
Link to this Post
MarBell
slightly serious Dibber

Do a benefit calculation on Entitled to, its very accurate and easy to do. Also apply to local council for help with council tax support. Hope this helps.
MarBell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 20, 08:33 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by Smilesonfaces View Post
I would contact Citizens Advice Bureau. I believe there is a really helpful Dibber who works there and I’m sure she will be along to help. Unfortunately I can’t remember her username.
I hope your step parents get some help. The system doesn’t seem to work for those who have worked all their lives.
Sounds like Disneydaffodil to me!

The full rate council tax bit doesn't sound right. I don't know whether it applies where they live but might be worth looking on their council website.

You haven't mentioned it but also suggest looking at their utilities. Found my mil had been on the same one for 20 years as she didn't want any of the faff. Changed it for them on mse cheap energy club and saved her a bundle. Worth asking...

Good luck.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 20, 08:48 PM  
Link to this Post
zoe3003
Imagineer

Sorry I cannot help but do recommend that if you are on Facebook look at a page called scrimping on a budget as there is usually someone who can help/signpost.
SSR & RPR Aug 15
zoe3003 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 20, 08:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Libby29
Imagineer

Has she completed a benefit application form for council tax? This is not an automatic claim with her UC, she will need to complete a form for this also.

If she is awarded UC then she will have to submit her award letters. Or a copy of her online journal. The local council will then base her c-tax award on the amount of UC she is receiving from the DWP. I hope this helps. 😊
Her rent award is paid within the UC award ( housing element ) and paid by the DWP.

Edited at 08:59 PM.
Libby29 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List