Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 13 Oct 20, 02:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Sara_toga
VIP Dibber

I ended up transferring my points and luckily enough to a family from the Uk.

I might try renting/transferring more as we have no intentions of going next year.
Old 20 Oct 20, 09:37 PM  
Link to this Post
hscx3boys
VIP Dibber

I rented points out recently using face book, don't usually use face book so it was an education!
Two families rented from me one for one night early October and the other two nights this coming weekend. Both were from Florida, one was a lawyer. Neither needed a contract.
Both paid via PayPal friends and family the first came into PayPal in GBP so not a great exchange rate, I asked the other renter to keep the payment in USD when they sent it, it arrived into PayPal account in USD (you can add USD option in your PayPal account).
The first Disney gift card I bought went through no problem for $25 and I put it into my DVC dues account. The second however for $500 did not work as Shop Disney would not complete the transaction because the bank (PayPal) would not do the checks they wanted. Still waiting for my money to be released from pending status.

Regards the renting part, that was easy, both families had rented lots of times before I just got all the names, address, email etc, did a screen shot and sent it to them and they were able to link to my disney experience. Bookings stayed showing in my dash board.

Hardest part was spending forever checking availability and messaging people that had not already had offers of help from other DVC owners. Felt like a travel agent! Certainly are a few time wasters and people that think that if they hold out they can get points at a cheaper price. I got lucky with two families interested at exactly the same time. Booked them one after another just before midnight our time and received payments within minutes of each other.
If your willing to book for short breaks last minute I think you should have success.
Good Luck
hscx3boys is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 20, 09:54 AM  
Link to this Post
skstorm
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Sara_toga View Post
I ended up transferring my points and luckily enough to a family from the Uk.

I might try renting/transferring more as we have no intentions of going next year.
I may be looking at renting a few points next for next August as we are short due to the 50% rule. so if you could let me know please if that is something you decide to do.
Old 22 Oct 20, 08:35 AM  
Link to this Post
mermaids1960
Getting excited

mermaids1960's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 19
I would be careful renting points out, please do a contract with full T&C as I’m left with some points that I am trying to sell on for buyers, one cancelled again due to personal reasons and within 24 hours of letting me know they had my bank account froze saying it was a scam 😳 Luckily have have another account.

Owner at Animal Kingdom
mermaids1960 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 21, 06:05 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Renting out on these groups on Facebook can be a nightmare, the posts make me laugh and the time you can waste can be extraordinary. The people fail to read the adverts “ I have 150 points to rent” “I’d like to book a 3 bedroom villa at Beach Club for 2 weeks if you have those points”, or “I can book 11 months out” met with a request “Can you book me a studio Christmas 2022”. Or how about “Can you book me Saratoga” with no details of dates, rooms etc.
I had to laugh yesterday, one woman had said she wanted a Poly bungalow for a week at Xmas, as soon as I saw that I thought this person has no idea. Think she thought it would be about $1000 and got a shock when told it was nearly 1000 points. Try Disney prices!
And all these claiming they are booking, but really having no intention. It’s a strange lot on those groups. And don’t get me started on the ones saying “I am looking for distressed points”.
Basically you need a lot of time on your hands, I’d much rather rent to a Dibber who are normally a delight to deal with.

Edited at 06:42 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 21, 10:13 PM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

I agree that the Facebook crowd can be 'challenging' ;-)
2point is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 21, 10:40 AM  
Link to this Post
BarryandCaron
Imagineer

BarryandCaron's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 15
Mobile

I didn’t have a problem at all renting on a Facebook group. Two lovely renters, simple bookings and payment straight away. One has asked to be considered if I have any more points to rent out in the future.
Old 7 Jan 21, 10:47 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by 2point View Post
I agree that the Facebook crowd can be 'challenging' ;-)
So many time wasters it’s unreal. I have rented a few points to a Dibber this year who was, as usual, a delight to deal with, but we are not going Easter by the looks of it so I’ve now cancelled Grand Floridian. I’m certainly expecting to go summer, so I only have limited points to rent.

Yesterday I hit on a gem of a renter on the Facebook group. Ex cast member, her and her mum appear to go all the time. Lovely to deal with, paid immediately, and approved my new contract. So you have to be prepared to sort through much chaff on the Facebook groups and it is so time consuming. I don’t think I’ll do it again and just go on here and Davids if necessary but this new renter looks like they will always be after points so good service is the key so they always ask you first in years going forward (if I ever rent any again, which I may not when back to near normal).
Old 7 Jan 21, 10:56 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by BarryandCaron View Post
I didn’t have a problem at all renting on a Facebook group. Two lovely renters, simple bookings and payment straight away. One has asked to be considered if I have any more points to rent out in the future.
You’ve got lucky. I was responding immediately, no surprises, copies of screenshots with availability. Problem I found is many are clueless, and despite links on the page to do research etc. in their own minds, even though it’s $15 or so a point (cheap, in normal times when demand outstrips supply I’d be asking for $20) they will still be able to get BLT for a week at $500. They are also pretty clueless on availability often, for example asking for a week at a studio at Beach Club over Easter week. I don’t actually blame them for the latter as without knowledge of WDW/ DVC this may not be realised, but when you even put a link in the listing to check the points and list the price and they don’t bother it’s a huge time waster.
In contrast though my latest renter on there was sophisticated renter who I worked with to piece together a split stay in March, getting her a great trip- a joy to deal with.
Old 7 Jan 21, 09:34 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

It’s the posters asking to rent distressed points at $10/point for a stay eleven months away that grind my gears.