Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 24 Oct 20, 12:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Elodie
Imagineer

Which Disney cruise would you pick?

We’ve currently got a 5 night cruise booked for Easter 2021, but obviously we’re not expecting to go (full refund available until February 2021, so we’re just leaving it in place for now.)

I was looking at alternative cruises, now that the spring 2022 itineraries have been released.

Our current itinerary is available to book for 2022. It’s our absolute dream trip: on board the Magic for my Rapunzel-mad younger DD; a visit to Castaway Cay which is bucket-list for all of us; Nassau for my pirate-mad older DD; fully during school holidays which is a necessity; time either side of the cruise to spend a couple of extra days enjoying Florida and to reduce stress about flights!; good time of year for weather; 5 nights so we’ve got plenty of time to enjoy the trip; within our budget, etc.

BUT the 2022 version costs around £1500 more (for the exact same ship, stateroom, itinerary and approximate dates) which pushes it way over what we wanted to spend, even before knowing what might happen with flight prices.

I’ve looked at October 2021, which is much cheaper (about £1000 less than our current cruise) but the only trip fully within school holidays is only a 4 night cruise. With only a week off school for half term, we’d be cutting it fine with flights too. It’s not on the Magic either, so not so perfect for youngest DD.

What would you do?
Accept that we’re just going to have to pay another £1500 for the cruise we want, but a year later?
Leave the 2021 cruise in place, but book for 2022 as well, then cancel it if a miracle happens and we get to go on our original booking?
Or compromise and book the cheaper cruise that’s not everything we wanted, but at least within budget?
WDW Nov 1988/DLP Cheyenne Aug 2016/DLPDLHDec 2017/DLP Santa Fe May-Jun 2018/Magic at Sea cruise Jul-Aug 2021/WDW & 2 Wish cruises Aug-Sep 2023/DLP Newport Bay Compass Club Aug 2024/Fantasy’s first ever cruise from the UK Jul-Aug 2025
Elodie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Oct 20, 04:44 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

How many and which DCL cruises have you done before?

If none ... honestly they will have the best time whichever you choose!
Old 24 Oct 20, 09:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Scaramouche
Imagineer

Given the circumstances you describe with timing and it not being everything you want, then I would leave all in place for your current cruise and book 2022 and hope for the best.

We did the 3 night on the dream and absolutely loved it!
Forget Regrets... Or Life Is Yours To Miss.. No Other Road, No Other Way.. No Day But Today.. ♪
Scaramouche is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Oct 20, 11:11 PM  
Link to this Post
dippiedawnie
Imagineer

Can you go down a cabin category to help with cost or just see if there is one cheaper in a different part of the ship?

WDW too many times to count
DL 1999
Paris 1996
dippiedawnie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 20, 08:25 AM  
Link to this Post
gismo1554
Imagineer

I think if you have found a cruise you love then you need to do what works best for you. The prices have gone but but remember they will also keep going up - as in they wont get cheaper than this weeks prices. If you can afford to I'd try and lock in the price just in case and then have a think about it. Worse comes to it you get a refund of the deposit nearer the time. I probably wouldn't look at rearranging to October if you can't get the same cruise as you will end up being disappointed. As others have said have you thought about downgrading the cabin slightly so you can help with the costs?
Old 26 Oct 20, 12:06 PM  
Link to this Post
jocesk
slightly serious Dibber

Just bare in mind by 2022 your kids likes and dislikes will totally change. Mine changed from loving frozen to thinking it was the most dorky uncool thing ever. Kind of made all the princess bookings pointless. With that in mind Id do it as soon as possible
jocesk is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 20, 01:31 PM  
Link to this Post
gismo1554
Imagineer

Originally Posted by jocesk View Post
Just bare in mind by 2022 your kids likes and dislikes will totally change. Mine changed from loving frozen to thinking it was the most dorky uncool thing ever. Kind of made all the princess bookings pointless. With that in mind Id do it as soon as possible
Very good point. And in fact things might be swapped around on the ship but I doubt its going to get rid of Tangled just yet especially as there was a dry dock due this year and it wasn't to change it was to add more stuff (a Tangled lounge was rumoured).
Old 26 Oct 20, 03:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Ladyandhertramp
I want to go now!

my eldest loves repunzel she’s 13 and abit of an emo but has the repunzel figurines in her room.
Ladyandhertramp is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 20, 08:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Elodie
Imagineer

Thanks for all the advice - I’ve been meaning to reply once I’d decided what to do, but I’m still deciding!

I did look at downgrading, eg to a different deck, and it would be about £500 cheaper than the room I wanted, but it would still cost more than our current trip. I‘m still torn! Pay £1500 more for the exact same holiday, or pay £1000 more for a downgraded holiday? Decisions decisions!

I hadn’t even considered how their likes and interests might change by 2022! I was so disappointed at missing out on WDW this year (it should have been our first family trip), because I know it won’t be the same experience when the girls are two years older. I don’t know why I hadn’t considered how that will affect our ‘perfect cruise’ 😢. Definitely something to think about!
WDW Nov 1988/DLP Cheyenne Aug 2016/DLPDLHDec 2017/DLP Santa Fe May-Jun 2018/Magic at Sea cruise Jul-Aug 2021/WDW & 2 Wish cruises Aug-Sep 2023/DLP Newport Bay Compass Club Aug 2024/Fantasy’s first ever cruise from the UK Jul-Aug 2025
Elodie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 20, 06:55 AM  
Link to this Post
jas72
VIP Dibber

I'd rather have two RC cruises for the same price :p