Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 31 Oct 20, 10:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Mightyfraz
Getting Excited

Florida 2019 - Tell Me This Isn't The Last Time - Day 23 - Highs and Lows

The index is here.

We started planning this trip as soon as we landed from the previous one in 2015 and as part of planning for this trip, we re-read the last trip report and looked through the photos many times to see:

• What we wanted to do and didn’t get the time to
• What we liked and will do again
• What we wouldn’t do again
• More importantly what was new!

I’m unsure if Highs and Lows is the right name for this; it’s more about what we enjoyed doing on holiday and the things that we didn’t enjoy as much; this is always personal preference and I’ll try to explain why we didn’t enjoy it. This might help you plan your next holiday and I would suggest reading the trippie (hopefully you’ve only got to this page by reading the rest of the trip) so you can see what we like as a family.

I’ll also try and split them into categories to make it easier.

Highs (we loved doing this)

First and foremost, the time we spent together as a family is the best thing and that’s why we save hard and go on trips like this.

Accommodation
• Staying in the Beach Club, even if we didn’t get upgraded to Club, the location to Epcot and DHS along with the amenities were superb. Walking between the hotel and parks rather than driving was fantastic and the International Gateway entrance at Epcot is a lot quieter than the main entrance (although the Skyliner is there now).
• RPR is lovely and the Club level is really good (although spoiled by BC club level); not too far to walk to City Walk and there is a lovely pool with bar area. Also you receive FOLP at RPR so definitely worth it in the summer.
• Pine View Villa – just amazing and if I had the money I would buy it from the owners. Wonderful location, loads of room and the swimming pool was fantastic where DDs spent a lot of time.

Travel
• Not hiring a car for the first week. We used a mix of Lyft (introductory discount worked well) and Disney transport; not only did it save $25 a day when we were at the hotels but it gave us the flexibility of stopping and having a drink somewhere if we fancied it. We didn’t notice a difference not having the car and will do the same on the next trip.
• Catching the boat from parks to resorts; again, a nice way to relax for 10 mins.

Food
• Free DDP; it was brilliant and allowed us to try the more expensive Disney restaurants. If used correctly the credits are enough to keep you going all day. Just have to remember that the tip is for the full cost of the TS meal and not just the amount above DDP.
• Club Lounge in BC – genuinely think it’s worth paying the extra for, especially for the beers and wine later in the day.
• Doll Whip……..mmmmmm
• Cheshire Cat tails from Cheshire Café in MK – we read so much about these and they tasted as good as everyone said
• ABC Commissary in Epcot – really good QS place to eat.
• Satu’li Canteen in AK – the pots were amazing and the cheeseburger pods were so tasty.
• Friar’s Nook in MK – the Loaded Buffalo Chicken Tots and Creamy Bacon Macaroni and Cheese Tots…….wow just wow!
• Mo’s Tavern in US – really enjoyed it and the theming was great.
• Shake Shack – really good burgers and we went twice on this holiday; on the first visit DD1 had seconds. Since coming home, we’ve had it twice more in London.
• Teppen Edo in Epcot – DW wanted to go here on the last trip and was disappointed when we didn’t. I now understand why; the food and the experience of eating there was superb. Definitely on the list next time!
• Boathouse in DS – a very good Steak restaurant with great theming
• Olive Garden – it must have been good as went there at least three times.
• Longhorn – the steaks were amazing and a lot cheaper than a Disney restaurant. On the list for the next trip.
• Millers Ale House (H27 end of 192) is always on the list and was again fantastic this time.
• Buffalo Wild Wings – we didn’t get to eat here on the last visit but having eaten there, it’ll be a must for each trip from now on.
• Teak Neighborhood Grill – slightly out of the way but worth going to; the food was excellent and if you’re up for it there is a Teak Challenge!

Shopping
• Disney hotel shops – we’ve only ever been to Fantasia and Bay View Gifts in the Contemporary but this holiday we looked around the shops the Marketplace at Beach Club, Yacht Club and Fultons at Port Orleans Riverside. All of them are free to get in and have exclusive merchandise. Definitely worth doing on a relaxing day.
• The Emporium and Memento Mori in MK; just love walking through them and seeing what merchandise is available.
• Walmart, Publix and Target – I could easily do three weeks in them alone!
• Florida Mall and Outlets, more specifically JC Penney, Macys, Tommy Bahama, B&BW. Seemed to be a lot more choice and offers this time at the Mall than the outlets.
• Buying Will Gay art from Epcot; we’ll be on the lookout for more of it as it takes you back to our happy place when we see it.

Experiences/Rides (key call outs as we could list pretty much everything)
• Slinky Dog Dash in DHS – wish we could have done it more but the wait times were always too long.
• Tower of Terror in DHS – only disappointing thing about this ride was the wait times were too long; we would have loved to go on it more than once.
• People Mover in MK – great way to relax in Air Con and look at MK
• Big Thunder Mountain in MK – fantastic in the day, even better at night.
• Haunted Mansion in MK – a family favourite
• Expedition Everest in AK – just amazing, it never fails to impress.
• Pandora in AK – I loved the theming and the details were incredible. A bit controversial but we all liked FOP not loved it. Happily, do it again though.
• Frozen Ever After in Epcot – it wasn’t here on our last visit but it’s brilliant
• The Mummy in US – must have went on it at least five times.
• Bonaza Golf – this is definitely more about tradition than quality of the course. There are much better ones to hand but we love it here.
• Forever Florida was brilliant; it’s a bit of a drive but DDs absolutely loved it.
• Orlando Star Flyer – DW and DD2 clearly lost their mind by wanting to go on this, but they loved it.

Anything Else
• Walking around the Boardwalk and having a look in the shops and stopping for a beer in ESPN
• First glimpses of the Cinderella’s Castle in MK and the Tree of Life in AK; always makes me happy!
• Paying cast compliments; we sent a number of compliments for cast members as some do go above and beyond. Worth recognising people when they do that and easily done now via Twitter.
• Firework Cruise – I know it’s a lot of money but it was up there with the best moments of the whole holiday. It’s weather dependent and we were very fortunate to have good weather and more importantly we had a really good Captain. There was enough food and drink on the boat and you were able to take anything with you at the end.
• Playing Mini-Golf – I’m unsure if people know that they can use their Disney tickets for free mini-golf? We love playing mini-golf and the Disney course are really fun.
• Boat trip around Winter Park – it’s a lovely hour on the boat looking at the multi $ houses. Such beautiful landscape and interesting stories.
• Kennedy Space Centre – a lot has changed since our last visit in 2012 and it’s fantastic. Plan on a being here ¾ of day as it’s so good.
• The Cat Café (H27 by Cagan’s Crossing) – it’s just wonderful and totally away from Disney. Worth visiting and having some relaxation and therapy 
• MNSSHP – it’s way too expensive and it’s on top of the normal Disney tickets but it’s brilliant; DDs were over the moon. There’s so much to see and do and we did a lot of rides on our last day. The overlay of the Castle is not to everyone’s taste but we loved it and who can forget all of the sweets you can grab!

We’d do again but different

Travel
• We love relaxing at the airport and the lounge is a great way of chilling out and having something to eat and drink. Next time I would pay the extra and go for a premium lounge.

Food
• California Grill in the Contemporary. The food was very good and the view of the fireworks was brilliant; however, the restaurant was bitter cold. On the list for next time but we’d bring warmer clothes with us.

Shopping
• Unsure whether DS feels the same as it used to; I understand Disney want to expand and take footfall away from the Malls but don’t like the fact that Disney is spread across more than one shop….so the World of Disney is more like Almost the World of Disney

Anything Else
• Volcano Bay – DW and DDs loved it here but I think we’ll do it as per our original plan and that is when we’re at the hotel rather than a villa day. I think you could do 2 evenings rather than a full day.

Lows (we wouldn’t do it again, or would think twice)

Travel
• Trying to get to DS from MK before 1600 on Disney Transport; I will not do it again and I will think twice about disagreeing with DW and DDs

Food
• Biergarten in Epcot – there are a lot of Disney restaurants to choose from; I’m glad we went there but the food was a little bland; so, it’ll be another restaurant in its place next time.
• Ponderosa – whether it’s still open when we next go back or not; this time we were really eating on past enjoyment and tradition. The food was still good but nothing like it used to be.
• Sci-Fi Dine In in DHS – we’ve eaten here on all of our trips and I think it was nothing new. I know that sounds silly but the last time we still saw different things. I wouldn’t mind but the food is ok bordering on average. I think we’ll give it a miss next trip but go again on the one after. Don’t get me wrong, if you’ve never eaten here it’s a must.
• T-Rex in DS – the experience wasn’t as good as it was on the last trip. Again, there is enough choice of restaurants in DS so we’ll look at going somewhere else next time.
• Sanaa in Kidani Village – we were in awe the last time we went; this time was very good but again think we’ll give it a miss on the next visit and go on the visit after.
• Mannys Chop House – sorry but we gave it a chance on the last visit and was prepared for good things on the 192, but nope not going back especially when there is Longhorn down the road.
• Crystal Palace – unless it was a special occasion we wouldn’t go back; it was brilliant for MNSSHP but is very expensive. The buffet is ok but it was the characters that made it a good experience.

Experiences/Rides
• Muppets Vision 3d in DHS – it needs to be reimagined as it looks too tired.
• Seven Dwarves Mine Train in MK – maybe an unpopular choice but we didn’t like it in 2015 and still didn’t like it in 2019.
• Soarin in Epcot – yes, yes, yes we’ll do it next time but sort out the bent Eiffel Tower please!
• ET in US – a bit like the Muppets, it’s well past its time and most of the kids riding on it don’t know who ET is.

There was so much that we didn’t do and with all of the new rides and worlds, they’ll be a lot to do next time. Galaxy’s Edge was not open and DD2 and I love Star Wars so can’t wait to look around it and go on the rides. Likewise, we never really had a chance to get on Hagrid nor the Skyline which was so close to being open.

For the next time, MK should have Tron, Epcot should have Ratatouille, Guardians and some of the new worlds; Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Train is now open and there might be the new Universal park. So much to see and do
Mightyfraz is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Oct 20, 11:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Inky
Apprentice Imagineer

Fabulous, some good tips there as well. X
Inky is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Oct 20, 12:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Jannyjan
Proud to wear my Ears

You need to ask for top row in the middle for Soarin. Eiffel tower distraught and no dangly feet!

Edited at 12:32 PM. Reason: Autocorrect
Jannyjan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Oct 20, 03:18 PM  
Link to this Post
JudeB
Imagineer

JudeB's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
Mobile

Really enjoyed reading your trip report. Brightened my days during these sad times!
Old 31 Oct 20, 06:34 PM  
Link to this Post
ccjames
Chilling at Carribean Beach

I really enjoyed reading your review. We should have been in Orlando around now but like many Dibbers our holiday was cancelled. I have a little tip for those people who want to go to Disney Springs from one of the parks before 16:00. We found the easiest way was to get a Disney bus to Saratoga Springs Resort and get off at the last stop. It is then a two minute walk through to Disney Springs.
ccjames is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 21, 07:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Shkyler
Apprentice Imagineer

Just binge read your whole trip report and loved it!
We have rebooked for 2022 and staying in Highlands reserve, will literally be eating everywhere you went, seems like we have similar tastes.
Thanks so much for bringing the excitement back!
Shkyler is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 21, 09:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Mightyfraz
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by Shkyler View Post
Just binge read your whole trip report and loved it!
We have rebooked for 2022 and staying in Highlands reserve, will literally be eating everywhere you went, seems like we have similar tastes.
Thanks so much for bringing the excitement back!
Thanks for reading it, we’re hoping to go back either next year or 2023 🤗
Mightyfraz is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List