Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 15 Nov 20, 09:13 AM  
Link to this Post
danisleigh
Imagineer

danisleigh's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 6
We are also going in august for our first time and have booked the Venetian, we will be there from the 18th for 4 nights and also plan the south rim. We have booked the bus tour which we know will be a long tedious day but we can’t fit in an overnight stay and are really keen to do the south not the west rim and as DS turns 20 while we are there we probably won’t get the chance to take him again.
Apr 98..Quality Inn, Dec 2004...hotel Cheyenne, may 2006...Emerald Island, Mar 2013..Regal Palms / AKL / Rosen Inn / HRH, Oct 14..Cypress Pointe, July 2016 Newport bay club, Aug 2016 magic med cruise, Aug 2017 SSR/Rosen pointe/HRH, Aug 19 Northern Europe Disney magic, Dec 2019...Sequoia Lodge, Xmas 2021 Rosen Plaza/HRH, May 2022 POFQ/HRH, May 2023 Disneyland LA.
danisleigh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 20, 09:19 AM  
Link to this Post
eaglesrest
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by danisleigh View Post
We are also going in august for our first time and have booked the Venetian, we will be there from the 18th for 4 nights and also plan the south rim. We have booked the bus tour which we know will be a long tedious day but we can’t fit in an overnight stay and are really keen to do the south not the west rim and as DS turns 20 while we are there we probably won’t get the chance to take him again.
Yes, we'd rather do the South Rim too, in-fact we originally planned on staying 2 nights in Tusayan to get some hikes to phantom ranch in, but decided it was too much of a detour on top of what we were already doing.

Our self-drive route is San Fran to San Fran over 3 weeks via Yosemite, Vegas, LA, PCH, so enough driving already, and not sure how the teen girls are going to adjust to the great outdoor road trip
eaglesrest is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 20, 09:39 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by eaglesrest View Post
How are you getting to the South Rim? We contemplated driving but it's about an 8-9 round trip. Helicopter would be good but we have some nervous flyers who wouldn't do it.

The compromise is a drive to the West Rim (via Hoover dam), which we haven't done before. I doubt it will be as good as the South Rim, but the kids haven't seen either before, so won't know what they are missing

Also considering a day-trip to Zion.

We bought into Cosmo when it was initially intended as a condo-hotel pre credit crunch. Shame they are having to wand people, would put me off too, unless most hotels are doing it? We've booked an airbnb at the MGM Signature. 1 bedroom high-floor apartment for around £200 per night in August. It's a little off-strip so should be quieter, though it does have a moving walkway to the strip (!). Also has access to all MGM facilities including free valet and the lazy river.
We had booked Elara on our cancelled trip last time so Mrs YT wants that again, think the Signature also a good choice. She now tells me she has to have a washing machine, despite there being one in New Orleans, Palm Spring, the Grand Cali 1 bed I’m booking and LA!😒 Kind of limits our hotel choices.

South Rim is amazing. Really does take your breath away when you walk up to it. Last time we stayed in Flagstaff but I’ll just drive it in one go. It’s an interesting drive and you also go over the Hoover Dam on the way. We will set off early.

I’ve been to Zion too. Stayed in St George. Zion is another trip definitely worth doing. When I went we walked up these paths, up these massive monoliths holding onto a chain hammered into the rock. Not good if you didn’t like heights. There’s a lot to see there though it’s very beautiful place.

Edit this is a stock photo but these are the paths we went up in Zion (there’s lots of non scary trails as well!):

Edited at 09:45 AM.
YorkshireT is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 20, 09:54 AM  
Link to this Post
eaglesrest
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
We had booked Elara on our cancelled trip last time so Mrs YT wants that again, think the Signature also a good choice. She now tells me she has to have a washing machine, despite there being one in New Orleans, Palm Spring, the Grand Cali 1 bed I’m booking and LA!😒 Kind of limits our hotel choices.

South Rim is amazing. Really does take your breath away when you walk up to it. Last time we stayed in Flagstaff but I’ll just drive it in one go. It’s an interesting drive and you also go over the Hoover Dam on the way. We will set off early.

I’ve been to Zion too. Stayed in St George. Zion is another trip definitely worth doing. When I went we walked up these paths, up these massive monoliths holding onto a chain hammered into the rock. Not good if you didn’t like heights. There’s a lot to see there though it’s very beautiful place.

Edit this is a stock photo but these are the paths we went up in Zion (there’s lots of non scary trails as well!):

Oh wow! We did Zion back in 2003 but it's a bit of a blur. I recall we hiked to emerald pools or something like that. Didn't realise the paths were that narrow on some of the hikes - that looks great fun! We have 1 girl who is up for any adventure, and 1 who likes adventure, but on her own terms i.e. with an air-conditioned car within easy reach

I think the 'touristy' West Rim and skywalk, with Zion as another day trip, should cover us for missing the South Rim. We've hiked Grandview trail a few times, so while disappointing, not the end of the world for us, and an excuse to go back

I'm planning on doing the half dome cables with the youngest, subject to permits, so we might want to be resting a bit in Vegas.

I've done some half-hearted walks for the Grand Cali, 1 x 2-bed and 1x 1-bed, and both have been broken by owners. Hoping that the high point requirements for August might put them off.
eaglesrest is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 20, 09:57 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by eaglesrest View Post
Oh wow! We did Zion back in 2003 but it's a bit of a blur. I recall we hiked to emerald pools or something like that. Didn't realise the paths were that narrow on some of the hikes - that looks great fun! We have 1 girl who is up for any adventure, and 1 who likes adventure, but on her own terms i.e. with an air-conditioned car within easy reach

I think the 'touristy' West Rim and skywalk, with Zion as another day trip, should cover us for missing the South Rim. We've hiked Grandview trail a few times, so while disappointing, not the end of the world for us, and an excuse to go back

I'm planning on doing the half dome cables with the youngest, subject to permits, so we might want to be resting a bit in Vegas.

I've done some half-hearted walks for the Grand Cali, 1 x 2-bed and 1x 1-bed, and both have been broken by owners. Hoping that the high point requirements for August might put them off.
I got Grand Cali 1 bed this year, cancelled obviously, I’m hoping to walk it again starting mid December. Finger’s crossed I’ll be gutted if I don’t get it next. Are you going next year too?
Old 15 Nov 20, 10:03 AM  
Link to this Post
eaglesrest
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
I got Grand Cali 1 bed this year, cancelled obviously, I’m hoping to walk it again starting mid December. Finger’s crossed I’ll be gutted if I don’t get it next. Are you going next year too?
That's reassuring.

We're planning for late August. Hope we aren't competing
Old 15 Nov 20, 12:24 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Cosmo is a really lovely hotel - never stayed but we customarily visit several times each trip to eat or enjoy over priced cocktails.

We are mid / late 40s and the vibe is definitely for a younger trendier crowd but I can’t say that bothers me (I mention it as I know it bothers some people).

Never seen a sniff of anything inappropriate there outside of the usual stuff from people high on drinks and other things.

The only reason we’ve not stayed is because I’ve never found the right priced room there

This is all pre pandemic. We went to Vegas three times in 2018/19 but I have heard things have become a bit rougher in general since we were last there (one year ago today funnily enough)
KarenG is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 20, 05:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

We stayed in the Venetian which was lovely . I didn’t feel unsafe with the kids at all.
We did S rim and did a bus tour recommended on the Dibb. I factored in car hire cost(we didn’t hire in Vegas so saved car park charges too),then petrol, this trip included b’fast and lunch too - so whilst it would have been cheaper to hire we enjoyed it so much and quite honestly we wouldn’t have got as much done and by offsetting all the other factors it wasn’t that much extra. It was a long day but really enjoyed it and it flew by. The guide was amazing and told us so much information, we stopped off at the Hoover dam, Seligman place where they got the idea for cars, then s rim. He stopped off so we could get a pic on rt 66 and took all our pics all day, the ones on the SRim are incredible - honestly they were like a professional had taken them so glad we did it this way as they have made incredible memories. The bus only had 9 ppl(so 3 families) so we weren’t waiting around and everyone got on

Edited at 05:59 PM.
Tweety1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 20, 08:06 PM  
Link to this Post
danisleigh
Imagineer

danisleigh's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 6
Originally Posted by Tweety1 View Post
We stayed in the Venetian which was lovely . I didn’t feel unsafe with the kids at all.
We did S rim and did a bus tour recommended on the Dibb. I factored in car hire cost(we didn’t hire in Vegas so saved car park charges too),then petrol, this trip included b’fast and lunch too - so whilst it would have been cheaper to hire we enjoyed it so much and quite honestly we wouldn’t have got as much done and by offsetting all the other factors it wasn’t that much extra. It was a long day but really enjoyed it and it flew by. The guide was amazing and told us so much information, we stopped off at the Hoover dam, Seligman place where they got the idea for cars, then s rim. He stopped off so we could get a pic on rt 66 and took all our pics all day, the ones on the SRim are incredible - honestly they were like a professional had taken them so glad we did it this way as they have made incredible memories. The bus only had 9 ppl(so 3 families) so we weren’t waiting around and everyone got on
This sounds like the one we have booked! We also haven’t hired our car until the day we leave Vegas to avoid parking charges and also as DH will do all of the driving on our road trip we figured at least this way he could relax and sleep on the trip if he needed to. Am really looking forward to it, fingers crossed it all goes ahead!
Apr 98..Quality Inn, Dec 2004...hotel Cheyenne, may 2006...Emerald Island, Mar 2013..Regal Palms / AKL / Rosen Inn / HRH, Oct 14..Cypress Pointe, July 2016 Newport bay club, Aug 2016 magic med cruise, Aug 2017 SSR/Rosen pointe/HRH, Aug 19 Northern Europe Disney magic, Dec 2019...Sequoia Lodge, Xmas 2021 Rosen Plaza/HRH, May 2022 POFQ/HRH, May 2023 Disneyland LA.
danisleigh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 20, 07:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by danisleigh View Post
This sounds like the one we have booked! We also haven’t hired our car until the day we leave Vegas to avoid parking charges and also as DH will do all of the driving on our road trip we figured at least this way he could relax and sleep on the trip if he needed to. Am really looking forward to it, fingers crossed it all goes ahead!
Where are you going after Vegas?
The tour was fab and like I say the pictures we got were all worth it - like a photo shoot. You will have a fab time and tbh I don’t think I would have wanted to drive there n back in the same day it’s a super long day. We were supposed to be going bk this year and were going to do Zion or horseshoe bend. I really want to go back but just don’t know whether to leave us hols til 2022