Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 23 Oct 19, 07:34 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Blood Pressure Tablets. What Time Of Day To Take Them

I know quite a lot of us on here have to take this medication and are grateful for it's life saving properties.

However who takes them at a certain time? I do religiously every morning after food.

The instruction leaflets are quite vague and just say make sure you take them as listed.

But this study in the European Heart Journal is very interesting regarding taking them at bedtime. The trial was conducted over a 5 year period involving 19000 people so quite a good percentage of users.

This is well worth a read.

bbc/news/health-50122964

However before everybody changes this warning needs to be noted.

"If you're currently taking blood pressure medication, it's important to check with your GP or pharmacist before changing the time you take it. There may be specific reasons why your doctor has prescribed medication in the morning or night."

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 19, 07:36 AM  
Link to this Post
ziggyzag
Imagineer

My Mum used to take them before bed, Doctor told her too. But that was because she took Thyroxine in Morning then two hours later Ompreazole (sp?)
ziggyzag is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 19, 07:39 AM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
I know quite a lot of us on here have to take this medication and are grateful for it's life saving properties.

However who takes them at a certain time? I do religiously every morning after food.

The instruction leaflets are quite vague and just say make sure you take them as listed.

But this study in the European Heart Journal is very interesting regarding taking them at bedtime. The trial was conducted over a 5 year period involving 19000 people so quite a good percentage of users.

This is well worth a read.

bbc/news/health-50122964

However before everybody changes this warning needs to be noted.

"If you're currently taking blood pressure medication, it's important to check with your GP or pharmacist before changing the time you take it. There may be specific reasons why your doctor has prescribed medication in the morning or night."
My doctor prescribed Bisoprolol/Aspirin in the morning after food and Ramipril - for blood pressure - in the evening.

(Also take a PPI - Lanzoprazole which should be taken 30-60 min before anything else including food - so have that as soon as I wake.)
WhereIBelong is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 19, 08:42 AM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

I’m on BP tablets and take them exactly as the doctor prescribed... in the morning.
My suggestion is to do just that
PPM is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 19, 08:46 AM  
Link to this Post
chrisxal
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 5
I take amlodipine in the morning for BP and Simvastatin at bedtime for my high cholesterol, as instructed by the GP
chrisxal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 19, 08:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Mrs Red C
Imagineer

Mobile

Think I had to have Ramapril in the evening like tea time and the other one to combat something ? in the mornings.

Forgotten really as I was lucky to stop both meds after losing a lot of weight through Slimming World over the last 2 years.
Mrs Red C is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 19, 08:52 AM  
Link to this Post
margyloveswdw
Deck 4, Disney Wonder

margyloveswdw's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
When I first started on BP medication the doctor told me it didn't matter what time of day so I took it at night, that seemed to be backed up by the information leaflet enclosed. When it was later reviewed by another doctor I was told taking it in the evening was less effective and to take it in the morning. My DH who is on BP and cholesterol medication is told to take his at night! I think it depends on the doctor
margyloveswdw is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 19, 09:00 AM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

The best medication for BP is frequent trips to WDW.

I think Mr M has this strategy buttoned down

Disney332
Old 23 Oct 19, 09:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

I always take mine in the morning. A few years back I developed a heart problem. I was prescribed an addition dose. I was advised to take that one in the evenings. Fortunately with a loss of 3 stone plus that tablet has been withdrawn and now it's two in the morning.
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 19, 09:03 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

I have just started on low dose Rampiril and initially read on internet that you should take it at bedtime as it could cause dizziness. Unfortunately (and typically) I forgot to take it away with me so took it in the morning when we got back to minimise days missed but I think I was sleeping better taking it at night. I don't know what to do now!
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List