Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Closed Thread

Old 27 Oct 16, 04:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Ellelledee
Imagineer

Had my interview

As some might know Ive been for an interview today, trying to get back into office work. I was actually a bit shocked that he contacted me because I applied thinking I'd have no chance as I haven't worked in an office for years.

After a last minute panic of what to wear - the blouse I intended to wear suddenly seemed to have a pluck in it, then I couldn't decide if I should wear a blazer or not.

Anyway got there and the guy was very laid back - he was actually stood at the backdoor smoking when I arrived, took me in and said "so you are here for a grilling" and laughed, but he explained it wasn't like that he just needed to ask a few questions and just see how he felt I'd be with the company.

I think it went quite well, he has one person left to interview and I'll find out next week.

So now I'm left with the "do I want it if they offer it" - I think luckily I've got the week to think about it, even though I was a bit gutted it wasn't sooner, because in the past Ive been offered the job on the spot and I've always felt I have to accept and sometimes that's not always good.

The money is more than I'm on now, the hours are more steady - I'm working in a school and I'm doing breakfast club and after school club and dinner duties all to try and make up a wage because the basic wage is a pittance. I'll have my own office and basically he wants me to organise and run the office - quite daunting but I'm sure once someone shows me the way round I can manage it. I won't have school holidays obviously but TBH that's one of the reasons I'm looking, I don't NEED school holidays anymore so we aren't tied.

So now I have to weigh up the pros and cons, it's quite a big decision as I don't hate my current job (in the past all jobs I e applied for I've done because I've hated the job I was doing and so have desperately jumped at the job - acting in haste), but also I think I'm comfy there, my reasons for staying aren't because I love it it's because of ease, near to home, know the people, been there a while etc...

So any advise?
Ellelledee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Oct 16, 04:49 PM  
Link to this Post
louiseybobs
Imagineer

louiseybobs's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Take a leap of faith in yourself and if they offer you it you should go for it. I think you know this too why else did you apply?

Just think you won't have to go on holiday in school holidays anymore
YIPEEEEE

good luck hope you get it! xx
Old 27 Oct 16, 04:51 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

I am pleased that the interview went well! It is always hard to know if you just jump or not. The way I look at it is you must have been there for a reason. It will be a learning curve but great for you moving forward. Why not do a list of the pros and cons?
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Oct 16, 04:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Leggibone
Imagineer

Mobile

Write a pros and cons list, like the extra money, not having the school holiday etc. And see what come out top.
Don't take into account that your comfortable at the school as that might sway your judgement
2014 - Rosen Inn International, Hard Rock Hotel, Yacht club and Bay Lake Tower! Mr Bears Grand Adventure, 2015- A sneaky to DLP- Sequoia Lodge, 2016- Another WDW trip... BLT, AKL, HRH and Rosen Inn - Mr Bear takes Boris to WDW, 2022 - Taking the small fry…. Coronado spring addition, 2024 - Riding solo?
Leggibone is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Oct 16, 05:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Macca04
Imagineer

Mobile

Good luck with your decision whatever you decide. Personally I think I would go for it.
Macca04 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Oct 16, 06:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Ellelledee
Imagineer

Thanks for replies. That's what I've been doing thinking "pros v cons"

So far, pros:

More money,
Not having to take school holidays
Loved my old office job and this is a company who does a similar thing to my old place and I'd be doing the same kind of thing only more modernised.
Better hours
Even if I don't stay there it gives me experience to apply for other office jobs
Training offered and encouraged
My own office and I will pretty much be planning and organising stuff

Cons...

Further away
Have to pre-book my holidays
The Unknown...

I actually think I am going to take it if they offer. I think I'm just scared of making the wrong decision and I'm worried that I'm hesitating, but I think it's just got to be a leap of faith. It could be the best decision Ive ever made or the worst decision Ive every made, and now the way I'm looking at it is, if I get it and I don't like it, I can use the experience to find another office job, or I always have the qualifications, skills and experience I've gained to go back into childcare so in effect I'm opening another avenue for myself.

But they haven't offered it me yet so...
Ellelledee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Oct 16, 06:31 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Good luck with the new job let us know if they do offer it to you! Fortune favours the Brave like Merida.
Old 27 Oct 16, 07:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Vinniecat
Imagineer

Good luck I've got my fingers crossed.
Vinniecat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Oct 16, 07:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Universal VR
Imagineer

I think, considering that you are returning to office work, I'd suggest accepting it (if it's offered) and using the opportunity to gain recent experience. If you're not happy there, you can start looking again but you'll have the advantage of recent experience on your cv. Good luck!
Old 27 Oct 16, 09:37 PM  
Link to this Post

Sorry I have just replied to your other post. Im glad it went well for you & was more relaxed than what you thought.

Your pro's out way your cons !
Closed Thread