Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 1 Dec 20, 02:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Nicksgirl
Imagineer

Dubai... book direct or package.

As my other thread, I want to book my husband a couple of really wonderful holiday's next year for his special birthday.

I am thinking late November, Dubai again next year.

We have been several times so the only info I really need is should I book the hotels direct and the flights direct or a package.

This is the holiday that's going to cost the earth so would like some advice.

Thanks again. xx
Econolodge Hawaiian Maingate in its Hey Day ! Villa we won on "Big Breakfast". Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress. POFQ/Sheraton Safari.The wonderful Al Qasr - Dubai. 2008 Luxury and Romance in the wonderful Maldives in a Water Bungalow. 2009 Burj Al Arab/Atlantis/Al Maha.Dubai WOWWIEEE! 2010 5nts Disney's Old Key West/Contemporary./7nts Universals Portofino. 2012 Al Maha Desert Resort & Spa,Dubai and Italy. 2014 -Norfolk, Sirmione Italy, Burj Al Arab/Al Qasr, thank you to my wonderful husband.x
Nicksgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 20, 02:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

123's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Nicksgirl View Post
As my other thread, I want to book my husband a couple of really wonderful holiday's next year for his special birthday.

I am thinking late November, Dubai again next year.

We have been several times so the only info I really need is should I book the hotels direct and the flights direct or a package.

This is the holiday that's going to cost the earth so would like some advice.

Thanks again. xx
I'd always book direct, but if you are after something specific. Like say four days at the Burg Al Arab followed by a dune trek with a couple of days in dessert, you might find a package a better option.

But, if just going to Dubai and staying in a hotel and doing the usual tourist things I would struggle to see a package offering a better service than direct bookings
123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 20, 02:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Nicksgirl
Imagineer

Originally Posted by 123 View Post
I'd always book direct, but if you are after something specific. Like say four days at the Burg Al Arab followed by a dune trek with a couple of days in dessert, you might find a package a better option.

But, if just going to Dubai and staying in a hotel and doing the usual tourist things I would struggle to see a package offering a better service than direct bookings
You guessed it with the first, we want to stay at the Burj for 4 nights and then the Al Maha for 4 nights.

Once I get the go ahead from my dog sitter, I will start pricing. I think I still have a couple of vouchers with BA. x
Econolodge Hawaiian Maingate in its Hey Day ! Villa we won on "Big Breakfast". Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress. POFQ/Sheraton Safari.The wonderful Al Qasr - Dubai. 2008 Luxury and Romance in the wonderful Maldives in a Water Bungalow. 2009 Burj Al Arab/Atlantis/Al Maha.Dubai WOWWIEEE! 2010 5nts Disney's Old Key West/Contemporary./7nts Universals Portofino. 2012 Al Maha Desert Resort & Spa,Dubai and Italy. 2014 -Norfolk, Sirmione Italy, Burj Al Arab/Al Qasr, thank you to my wonderful husband.x
Nicksgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 20, 02:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

123's Reviews
You guessed it with the first, we want to stay at the Burj for 4 nights and then the Al Maha for 4 nights.

Once I get the go ahead from my dog sitter, I will start pricing. I think I still have a couple of vouchers with BA. x
Yep that isn't going to be cheap.

The Burj runs about £1000 a night (including breakfast) and can be much more; the Al Maha is more expensive again at about £1250 a night

If you are spending that sort of money on hotels for your stay I wouldn't be flying with BA, I'd be opting for Emirates, much more comfortable (even in economy) - although I suspect if you are staying in those sorts of hotels you'll be doing Emirates Business Class (their lounge in LHR is really good - BHX/MAN are decent too)

One thing I hadn't realised is that the Al Maha is a Marriott hotel so I can use my Marriott Points there, off to look at a trip now...
123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 20, 02:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Always direct and always call rather than online. Like everything else I’m Dubai, it pays to haggle
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 20, 02:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Do you have a Sirius card from your previous stays?
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 20, 03:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Nicksgirl
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Colette-S View Post
Colette, I think I do somewhere, I will have to look.

I might have to change it to 3 nights on both. We have been a couple of times to the Burj and quite a few to the Al Maha and if I remember it was mostly Virgin Premium Economy. The two flights we had in Economy with Emirates were awful.

I might have to sell my body... might pay for a sandwich on board. x
Old 1 Dec 20, 03:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Nicksgirl
Imagineer

Originally Posted by 123 View Post
Yep that isn't going to be cheap.

The Burj runs about £1000 a night (including breakfast) and can be much more; the Al Maha is more expensive again at about £1250 a night

If you are spending that sort of money on hotels for your stay I wouldn't be flying with BA, I'd be opting for Emirates, much more comfortable (even in economy) - although I suspect if you are staying in those sorts of hotels you'll be doing Emirates Business Class (their lounge in LHR is really good - BHX/MAN are decent too)

One thing I hadn't realised is that the Al Maha is a Marriott hotel so I can use my Marriott Points there, off to look at a trip now...
The Good thing with the Al Maha is its all inclusive. However, the last time we went I only had one bottle of wine the whole time, the cheapest was £100. x
Old 1 Dec 20, 03:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Nicksgirl
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Colette-S View Post
Colette, when I ring the Burj and Al Maha, can I really haggle ?
x
Old 1 Dec 20, 03:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

123's Reviews
Colette, when I ring the Burj and Al Maha, can I really haggle ?
x
With the Al Maha you certainly can try, I've never paid the advertised rate at any Marriott hotel (unless it was already so low it wasn't worth the effort of calling).

Almost always they will find some way of offering you something, it might not be money off, it could be a free meal or a day ticket to the gym/spa or something else that costs them essentially nothing but saves you plenty

The worst they can do is say No, and then you can book at the advertised rate you were going to pay anyway, so you've only lost 5 minutes...