Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 1 Dec 20, 07:13 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by munmun View Post
Bring back the days of Biba on Kensington Hign St, the Hight Sy was fun then
LOL yes my Mother loved Biba but that was before your time - in the 1960’s and I remember going there in the 70’s (well being dragged there - again before you were born lol) I still remember the smell of their store
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 20, 07:21 PM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post
LOL yes my Mother loved Biba but that was before your time - in the 1960’s and I remember going there in the 70’s (well being dragged there - again before you were born lol) I still remember the smell of their store
I was working and living just off Ken High St I 1971-2 before starting work at Hyde Park Corner, it was mad time. I spent my wages on clothes from Biba and for the market on Ken High St.
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 20, 07:27 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Kev Harrison View Post
Hate to say this, but the time of reckoning has been long coming for the high street.

So many of the shops are old, dirty and not fit for purpose and to make it worse, you have to pay to park. Then when you get there - what you wants out of stock !

My heart goes out to those affected, it's not your fault in any way shape or form.

It's going to be like the mines and steelworks when they closed. City centres will change beyond recognition within 5 years. Maybe City centres will not exist.
I think that you are bang on the money. There have been various attempts to create out of town retail parks around Truro, which would obviously have free parking as they would have been on private ground and in addition would have been easy to access.
The County Council Council has batted off every one of them, citing the negative effect that it would have on Truro City Centre (and their carparking take). Meantime they have done an excellent job of destroying it themselves with their parking charges and high business rates.
At this moment in time, perhaps all council carparking should be free and business rates either scrapped or heavily cut in order to at least try to make street retail competitive with on line.. or there will soon be none.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 07:31 PM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 20, 07:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Feebee2
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ClaireNJ View Post
Sad times for all those involved, there will be no High Street left something seriously needs to be done about online shopping 💰💰
I work with someone who completely believes this pandemic has been brought on by the online shopping giants. I very teeny tiny bit of me wonders if she's right
Feebee2 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 20, 07:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Kev Harrison
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
I think that you are bang on the money. There have been various attempts to create out of town retail parks around Truro, which would obviously have free parking as they would have been on private ground and in addition would have been easy to access.
The County Council Council has batted off every one of them, citing the negative effect that it would have on Truro City Centre (and their carparking take). Meantime they have done an excellent job of destroying it themselves with their parking charges and high business rates.
At this moment in time, perhaps all council carparking should be free and business rates either scrapped or heavily cut in order to at least try to make street retail competitive with on line.. or there will soon be none.
I have been saying this for ages, Councils need to wise up - remove parking fees out of peak times - anything to encourage people into centres. Reduce rates. 60% will be better than 0%

The issue is most people on councils who make these decisions are not business people. They just do not understand retail.
Kev Harrison is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 20, 07:43 PM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
A story repeated many times in our great land ...
SussexFamily is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 20, 07:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Kev Harrison
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Feebee2 View Post
I work with someone who completely believes this pandemic has been brought on by the online shopping giants. I very teeny tiny bit of me wonders if she's right
That's ridiculous - why would anyone think that online retailers created a pandemic?

You don't or her don't vote, have children, use electricity or gas or drive do you?

I have some tin foil if you need a new hat.

Edited at 07:47 PM.
Kev Harrison is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 20, 07:45 PM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Feebee2 View Post
It’s the Chinese !

It originated there, they appear to have come through it (without a vaccine) and yet no one on the Main stream media talks of it ...

Or failing that it’s Bill Gates ... or Amazon (I’m a convertee now!)
SussexFamily is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 20, 07:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Kev Harrison
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by SussexFamily View Post
It’s the Chinese !

It originated there, they appear to have come through it (without a vaccine) and yet no one on the Main stream media talks of it ...

Or failing that it’s Bill Gates ... or Amazon (I’m a convertee now!)
Please tell me you are kidding?
Old 1 Dec 20, 07:55 PM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Kev Harrison View Post
Please tell me you are kidding?
I’ve narrowed it down to 3 parties ... maybe I should do a poll?