Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 15 Mar 17, 08:50 AM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Moral dilemma - what would you have done ?

I was in a queue to buy a coffee this morning and one person was serving

The lady at the front of the queue had ordered a couple of coffees and pastries and then went to pay

Every bank card she had was declined (I think she tried 3) and she has no money on her

The queue behind was growing and because the transaction was still active on the till no one else could be served

Would you have helped / interfered in any way ?
BucksBugsy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Mar 17, 08:55 AM  
Link to this Post
shirley
Imagineer

shirley's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Mobile

No, I always have some cash as well as cc, so wouldn't expect anyone else to bale me out too pricey anyway!
What was the outcome?
shirley is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Mar 17, 08:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
If I could have afforded it and I was next in the queue, I would quietly have said to the barista "I'll get these, thanks" and paid. No harm in spreading a little pixie dust.

If my own money was tight, as it often is, I don't think I would have done anything, but then maybe I shouldn't have been in there anyway if I was that hard up (but I still do - naughty me!)
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Mar 17, 08:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Juliemack
waiting impatiently...!

Juliemack's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
If she was buying just a coffee on her way to work I'd have added it to my bill...however, 2 coffees and 2 pastries would be well over £10, so no!
Juliemack is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Mar 17, 09:01 AM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Mobile

Originally Posted by shirley View Post
No, I always have some cash as well as cc, so wouldn't expect anyone else to bale me out too pricey anyway!
What was the outcome?
Last I saw (my train was due so had to leave the queue) she was calling up her mobile banking app on her phone with that "oh s! t expression on her face
Old 15 Mar 17, 09:02 AM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Mobile

Originally Posted by Gill H View Post
If I could have afforded it and I was next in the queue, I would quietly have said to the barista "I'll get these, thanks" and paid. No harm in spreading a little pixie dust.

If my own money was tight, as it often is, I don't think I would have done anything, but then maybe I shouldn't have been in there anyway if I was that hard up (but I still do - naughty me!)
What a refreshingly honest comment - thank you !
Old 15 Mar 17, 09:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Life is hard, no I wouldn't have paid for her.
I am a cynic by nature and would be thinking does she do this regularly at multifarious places? Easy to keep old cards for defunct accounts.

If she was a regular I would suspect the shop would allow her to pay the next time as the coffee is destined for the bin otherwise.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Mar 17, 09:03 AM  
Link to this Post

Surely the Barrista could have cancelled the sale. Yes they would have wasted the coffee but they are sold at greatly inflated prices so the wastage wouldn't break the bank. I wouldn't bale her out. Different if you were in a supermarket where someone was deciding which goods they had to leave behind through lack of money, then I might help out.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Mar 17, 09:04 AM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

assuming this was in a high street coffee chain then the drinks would have been north of £10 easily

so im afraid if she hasnt got the money , tough

im guessing it wasnt a total suprise to her to not have @£10 across 3 cards*

old lady in a local tea shop / cafe , probably would have

* although do contactless cards just get approved on the spot under £30? as happens way to quickly for a check imo
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Mar 17, 09:07 AM  
Link to this Post
THE WIZARD
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by anna-marie View Post
Surely the Barrista could have cancelled the sale. Yes they would have wasted the coffee but they are sold at greatly inflated prices so the wastage wouldn't break the bank. I wouldn't bale her out. Different if you were in a supermarket where someone was deciding which goods they had to leave behind through lack of money, then I might help out.
Ditto...