Notices
UK Holiday Planning & Days Out For UK Holiday planning and experiences

Old 26 Oct 20, 10:15 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile A week’s break in the East / South East

Hi all

I’m looking for a house / flat near the sea in Essex, Suffolk or maybe Kent.

We like walking and pubs and historical or interesting places.

We will have a car but I know we will be preferring to mostly walk in the evenings so we can have a drink.

I’m honestly clueless about this part of the country but have been looking at Frinton, Aldeburgh, Felixstowe?

Anyone have any suggestions to help me narrow it down a bit?

Many thanks

Karen
Old 29 Oct 20, 09:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Gunna
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

We are in Suffolk for a few days at the minute. Would definitely recommend Aldeburgh. Lovely walk to Thorpeness and the smoked fish we bought in Aldeburgh was delicious.

Off to Southwold tomorrow - heard great things about there too.

Neil

Life's not meant to be lived in one place

The One Stop Trip Spot - all my trip reports all in one place
Gunna is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Oct 20, 09:42 PM  
Link to this Post
emwratten
Imagineer

We live in Deal, Kent.. lovely seafront with lots of bars and restaurants and a lovely pier. We have Deal, walmer and Dover castle on our doorstep. X
emwratten is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Oct 20, 11:03 PM  
Link to this Post
CarsonMac
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Depends how South you want to go? We had a couple of weeks in Norfolk and Kent in Sept.
Really enjoyed Canterbury so much we went twice! Cathedral is so interesting and we took a punting boat trip too.
Also enjoyed Hastings as a nice seaside town
Quality Inn Plaza , I drive (2009) / Los Angeles, CA (2010) /New york + Villa at Chatham park (2014/15) / Quality Inn on 192 (2015) / Laguna beach (2016) / Flamingo inn ,Daytona beach (2016/17) Houston , Atlanta + Coco key water resort, I drive (2017), Boston (2018), New York City (2018) Washington DC + Clarion Suites Maingate, (2018)Red Lion/ New orleans (Sept 2019) Cabbibean Resort/ Red lion (Jan 2020), Baymont Inn and Suites (Aug 2020)
CarsonMac is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Oct 20, 11:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridafan
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 53
I live in Burnham-on-Crouch - a little piece of heaven built from oyster fishing. There are lots of pubs and some with accommodation and good food and some lovely walks along the salt marsh trails. Nearby there is Maldon which is an ancient town built on the banks of the Blackwater and famous for salt. It’s home to some glorious sailing barges and they do trips out to the estuary. The oldest (supposedly) church in England is in the area - St Peter on the Wall at Bradwell.

We looked at houses around the Essex coastline before settling for Burnham. We didn’t take to Frinton at all - just our opinion mind. We could only see one pub and it was modern. We really liked Wivenhoe (there is a lovely old part) and Brightlingsea. The latter is a very interesting place. We really like it here. Essex and Suffolk have some beautiful places but not all are by the coast. Saffron Walden and Lavenham are two of my favourite places to visit but not near the sea.

If you are going south what about Brighton? DD was at uni here and we spent several weekends here. It’s vibrant, edgy, historical and has an abundance of decent restaurants. We’ve walked miles here and just kept exploring and finding new things. The laines are so quaint and there are some lovely shops there.
Floridafan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 20, 12:33 AM  
Link to this Post
greekgranny
Imagineer

londonist/london/things-...ye-east-sussex

Rye is a great place to visit.
Old 30 Oct 20, 09:09 AM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

I live in Suffolk, and we have a lot of Airbnb properties sat empty at the moment especially in Aldeburgh. Thorpeness is lovely, also the Dedham Vale area is beautiful- Constable country. We have forest, river, sea, and beaches all in a short distance of each other.

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 20, 09:09 AM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

P.s. I wouldn’t recommend Felixstowe other than a day visit perhaps. Southwold is nicer.

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 20, 11:19 AM  
Link to this Post
TractorBoy
Imagineer

TractorBoy's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Loopylooloo View Post
P.s. I wouldn’t recommend Felixstowe other than a day visit perhaps. Southwold is nicer.
Absolutely agree re Felixstowe. We live in Ipswich and go to Felixstowe for a walk around Landguard Common near the docks. Lovely walk overlooking the sea and you can park close to where some rather large container ships are being unloaded.

Otherwise Felixstowe doesnt have anything to offer for anymore than a couple of hours!
Old 30 Oct 20, 11:30 AM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Floridafan View Post
I live in Burnham-on-Crouch - a little piece of heaven built from oyster fishing. There are lots of pubs and some with accommodation and good food and some lovely walks along the salt marsh trails. Nearby there is Maldon which is an ancient town built on the banks of the Blackwater and famous for salt. It’s home to some glorious sailing barges and they do trips out to the estuary. The oldest (supposedly) church in England is in the area - St Peter on the Wall at Bradwell.

We looked at houses around the Essex coastline before settling for Burnham. We didn’t take to Frinton at all - just our opinion mind. We could only see one pub and it was modern. We really liked Wivenhoe (there is a lovely old part) and Brightlingsea. The latter is a very interesting place. We really like it here. Essex and Suffolk have some beautiful places but not all are by the coast. Saffron Walden and Lavenham are two of my favourite places to visit but not near the sea.

If you are going south what about Brighton? DD was at uni here and we spent several weekends here. It’s vibrant, edgy, historical and has an abundance of decent restaurants. We’ve walked miles here and just kept exploring and finding new things. The laines are so quaint and there are some lovely shops there.
Someone I worked with used to live in Burnham-on-Crouch (but work was Scottish based). This is the only time I have ever heard it mentioned out with the office!

I wonder if you knew him.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List