Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 30 Nov 20, 03:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Edna Cloud
Apprentice Imagineer

Bath and shower advice

Hi All

I know that the DIBB community is full of wise people, so I thought I would ask for advice.

We are planning an en-suite refurb and the plumber has told us that under no circumstances should we consider a bath less than 1700mm long because it would affect re-sale value. Is this true? There is a 1700 bath elsewhere in the house and I would prefer slightly smaller (not tiny), maybe 1600 bath because that small difference allows me to include better storage. Will that make a massive difference to people?

Secondly, there will be a separate shower. Walk in cubicles (ie no actual door) look good, but are they too cold? Would we be getter with a proper shower ensclosure? Any other advantages / disadvantages of one over the other?

Any thoughts on either issue would be appreciated.

EC
Edna Cloud is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Nov 20, 03:34 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

I ripped out my wet room and converted it to a traditional en-suite bathroom to make it easier to sell when it comes on the market in month or so - wet rooms are very unfashionable in the market I am aiming for these days but baths (and double ended ones) are the in thing - not claw footed but sealed. I spoke to several interior designers and Savills and they all said the same. As long as you have a family bathroom with a decent sized bath then I would put a shower enclosure in the en-suite and make it double sized - 2/3 or 3/4 glazed and yes no door as thats a wet room, cubicle hybrid and what I have in my new home (my choice) and I LOVE it - if I want a soak I use the family bathroom

Bottom line is do what you want to use - I am aiming to sell (or rent) to a certain type so I know what is needed, but I had to alter what I was being offered to suit me. Bathrooms and kitchen so make a house/apartment into a home for me more than sitting rooms or outside space
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Nov 20, 03:42 PM  
Link to this Post
folkie
Loves sailing in the sun!

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 170
We’re just in the middle of replacing our main bathroom and I insisted on a 1700 bath, anything else just feels too short.
The new bath is double ended and will be sealed in, so it looks as though we’re doing the right thing, purely by chance!
folkie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Nov 20, 03:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Melanie R
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Mobile

I have a walk in shower with no door and love it - it’s not at all cold, but does mean water can spray outside of the enclosure. My floor is fully tiled (and it’s spray rather than a flood!) so isn’t a problem but something to consider.
In terms of a bath - a small bath would put me off - I had the biggest one I could fit installed!

Duchess Adventures! - Trip report index
Melanie R is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Nov 20, 03:56 PM  
Link to this Post

I wouldn't put a bath in the en suite at all, I would do a bigger shower if the room layout allows it. In the last house I lived in the shower space was massive and was not enclosed, it was not cold, although it was my house in Australia. Still I cant imagine getting cold in any shower.

I have a smaller than 1700 bath in my current main bathroom which I had installed. I had to do this because the old bathroom did not have a shower at all and I wanted one but not a shower over bath. I would have preferred a full size bath but I couldn't fit a full size bath and shower in the room.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Nov 20, 04:04 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

getting ours redone in the new year, and im looking at 1900 baths, possibly even 2000!

we had a 1600 in our old (rented) place, and i absolutely hated it. you just cant really relax in it because half your body is poking out of the water

if youve already got a bathroom with a decent sized bath, i'd personally probably skip having a bath altogether in the en-suite and make the shower area larger instead
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Nov 20, 04:59 PM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Edna Cloud View Post
Hi All

I know that the DIBB community is full of wise people, so I thought I would ask for advice.

We are planning an en-suite refurb and the plumber has told us that under no circumstances should we consider a bath less than 1700mm long because it would affect re-sale value. Is this true? There is a 1700 bath elsewhere in the house and I would prefer slightly smaller (not tiny), maybe 1600 bath because that small difference allows me to include better storage. Will that make a massive difference to people?

Secondly, there will be a separate shower. Walk in cubicles (ie no actual door) look good, but are they too cold? Would we be getter with a proper shower ensclosure? Any other advantages / disadvantages of one over the other?

Any thoughts on either issue would be appreciated.

EC
In our family bathroom we have a 1400 freestanding bath as it was that or nothing! Our bathroom has a sloping ceiling and we couldn't get a shower cubicle there or a bigger bath with a shower above. We ended up losing our airing cupboard to fit a shower cubicle in and a small bath. I haven't used it yet but grown up dd loves it, she does the whole candles, cushion and bath bomb thing! We figured a small bath was better than no bath and as you can see it was a tight fit!

For the walk in shower, again we did that in our ensuite and have a 1600 shower tray and a 1000 fixed glass panel. It was fitted in June so not sure how cold it will be yet, ok so far! Only issue we have is we need something either down the edge of the glass or on the tray to stop the water spilling out! Luckily the floor is all sealed and we have a big bath mat which soaks it up. It isn't horrendous but just annoying and apparently quite a common problem due to the drain being the opposite end and the edge of the tray sloping to it! The room is also small so we couldn't have a door as it would hit the loo and towel rail (more pics on my Novice renovators threads)

Hope that helps x
Old 30 Nov 20, 05:04 PM  
Link to this Post
MinniMouse
VIP Dibber

MinniMouse's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
We did our main bathroom up a few years ago. Ripped out a hideous corner bath, which was lovely when first put in 30 years ago! We just have a shower, no door. DH don't use it, our bedroom is downstairs and we have an ensuite but the rest of our family love it. I never had a bath when we had one but really miss it now we don't have one and if we are away anywhere I always have a bath if there is one.

Here a pic of our bathroom done up, no draughts as radiator a good one, and it's upstairs and all the heat rises.
MinniMouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Nov 20, 05:05 PM  
Link to this Post
boo2
Imagineer

boo2's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Mobile

Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
I wouldn't put a bath in the en suite at all, I would do a bigger shower if the room layout allows it. In the last house I lived in the shower space was massive and was not enclosed, it was not cold, although it was my house in Australia. Still I cant imagine getting cold in
That’s what has been done in the house we just moved to. We viewed 2 houses very similar, one had a bath and shower and one had the bath removed and a large shower fitted. It’s not fully enclosed and I did wonder if it would be cold but it’s not. The en-suite is bigger than my daughter first bedroom, it feels very luxurious with all the space.
I wouldn’t think a smaller bath would affect resale value when you already have a larger bath in the property.
Old 30 Nov 20, 05:13 PM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

We are in the process of swapping out the en-suite and the guys are going straight then to replace the big bathroom - I finally get my Toto Japanese toilet in the big bathroom

We are going for walk in shower in the en-suite with a slightly longer screen to help stop spray coming out onto the tiled floor. We are putting under floor heating in both rooms.
AntonyJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List