Notices

Old 7 Nov 16, 09:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Sotong
slightly serious Dibber

September 2016 not much activity with busy full time job in insurance and 13 year old back to school, netball club and team etc.
Thought that I would get flight times and details through at 11 months out but when queried this with Iglu on the 13th October was told that they would be available in a few weeks.

Also joined a couple of Facebook groups one for Anthem of the Seas, lots of info about hurricanes this summer and what and when to book, although this has confused me more! I do know that most things on the cruise can't be booked until 90 days before so reminder in my phone for May!

Had some info from Iglu about dining on the ship, currently the arrangements are either dynamic dining where you book the restaurant and type of dining you want each night in advance like normal restaurants and akin to Disney dining planning. Alternatively and the option I chose you get a table and a dining time allocated and then you rotate around 4 different restaurants with different food, Asian, Italian, American etc. We enjoyed this type of dining in Disney magic in 2015.

However due to issues with booking restaurants Royal Caribbean have ditched this from November in favour of traditional dining, where you get a table in a specific restaurant at a set time each night. Not an issue for us and doesn't affect my planning (phew!).
Sotong is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Dec 16, 06:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Sotong
slightly serious Dibber

I've been neglecting my pre trip report for a few months, but have been making progress and plans.

A month or so ago Royal Caribbean had special offers on Drinks Package and Internet. So as a birthday present to myself I booked the All Inclusive drinks package and on board wifi.

The drinks package gives me and DD Freestyle Soda from the machine with a special logo'd cup plus I get cocktails! So I've started to make a list of the cocktails I want to try! we have a few sea days and don't think I will do much relaxing in New York so it will be nice to sit in the bar or by the pool with a drink and chill! its also great when its hot to be able to get a cold drink whenever you want.

When I booked these treats, I was still waiting on flights to be confirmed before could book anything else. This is sorted now and will confirm more in my next post.

Gillian.
Sotong is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Dec 16, 06:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Rossalino
Apprentice Imagineer

Liking the sound of this holiday and will look forward to further updates!
Rossalino is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Dec 16, 06:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Sotong
slightly serious Dibber

Over the past few months I’ve reminded Planet Cruise / Iglu a couple of times to see if our flight times were available yet as they weren’t when I booked in July, but not much response, then at the beginning of December on a Sunday evening I got a phone call from a London number. I nearly ignored it but glad I didn’t as it was the travel agent phoning to confirm our flights, all I knew at this point was that they were with either Virgin, United or BA and may not be direct.

The flight included in original price was a United indirect flight that left Heathrow at 5pm arriving in New York at 11pm, not ideal so asked what else, was also offered at £75 a direct BA flight again leaving at 5pm arriving at 8pm., wasn’t happy with either as this would take all of the first day in New York and mean we arrived after dark.
For £160 I was then offered a flight leaving Heathrow at 8.40am arriving in New York (Newark) at 11.30am with United this was perfect and just what I wanted so I booked this option.
The return flight is less of an issue and for this is a indirect flight via Dublin leaving Newark at 7.20pm, so we have a full day in New York on out last day arriving in Dublin at 7am, with 2 hours for breakfast and coffee before a flight to Heathrow at 9am.
Was a bit worried that my DD wouldn’t be happy about the indirect flight but when I told here she was excited as ‘she could get the Irish Snapchat filter”!

I had a 10% off at Holiday Extras in my email inbox so now that I knew my flight times thought I would see if I could get a deal on parking and airport hotel for the night before the flight. We both really enjoy going up the night before as it starts our holiday early and in a relaxed way taking the panic out of the first morning.
Lots to choose from at Heathrow and only ever parked and stayed from Gatwick before where the Premier Lodge at the North Terminal is great. In the end I found 15 nights parking plus hotel room at the Crowne Plaza on the 30th July for £125 including the ‘Hoppa’ bus to and from the airport, was pleased with this price so that’s another thing booked.

Hotel has a pool and leisure facilities so this may be a nice way to relax the night before, need to do some more research on places to eat and whether we can do twilight check in with United Airlines.

I did look on United Airlines website and have discovered that this flight is on a Boeing 767 with on demand movies, free food and drinks expect alcohol which is chargeable.

Gillian
Old 18 Dec 16, 02:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Sotong
slightly serious Dibber

I’ve also been watching the exchange rate to see when to buy my dollars for our New York shopping, Harriet at 13 has an expensive make up addiction! She has a long list of brands she wants to buy in Sephora, Mac etc.

When I booked my hotel at the airport Holiday Extras had an offer on the FairFX card where for £9 you got a card with £10 of dollars loaded onto it, so I’ve ordered one of these. Although the exchange rate didn’t go much higher when the US election result was announced and seems to be pretty static at $1.20/$1.25 so haven’t added much on yet.

I’m using Christmas Party season to add to my ‘Cocktail to Try List’ whilst on board Anthem of the Seas with the all inclusive drinks package.

So far have got –
Black Russian
Charlie Chaplin
Negroni
Disarrono and cranberry juice, which apparently tastes like a Cherry Bakewell
Sour Apple Martini

I am open to more suggestions!

Plans for Christmas holidays when I’ve got some more time off work is to choose and book hotels for New York.

Gillian

Edited at 09:23 PM.
Old 14 Jan 17, 01:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Sotong
slightly serious Dibber

Christmas Planning Activity!

I've spent lots of time over the Christmas break looking at Hotels and trying to come up with an itinerary for the New York sights and passes for them etc.

I had a shortlist! or long list of hotels that had seen recommended on the Dibb or a Facebook site i've been following and spent a few hours comparing prices and locations on the hotel booking sites.
Most of the headline prices for hotels in the Times Square area seem to be for a Queen bed and not the usual 2 beds you get in US hotel rooms, when I added 2 people in separate beds as my 14 yr old DD won't share the price went up to more than I wanted to pay!

In the end decided not to book anything and went back to work on 5th January with nothing booked!

However this morning I noticed that Hotels.com had a reduced rate on the Wellington Hotel, just north of Times Square near Central Park and the price of £740 for a 2 bedded room seemed OK so I've booked it! One more thing sorted! although its on a cancellation rate so can change my mind nearer the time if I want to.

Hotel has a traditional diner next to it with shops, take aways etc too. Its near the Rockerfeller Centre which is on our to do list.
Photo is currently with the Christmas tree, which obviously won't be there in August!

I'll post again hopefully this weekend about my to do list and itinerary planning.

Thanks for reading!
Old 25 Jan 17, 07:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Sotong
slightly serious Dibber

Itinery and Update - Jan 2017

In between looking for hotels for the last 2 nights I’ve started to put together an itinerary.

Arrive in NY – Newark late morning on Monday 31st July, plan to get a ‘yellow cab’ into the city and think this is ‘the’ way to arrive

We will then leave bags in hotel and get the hop in hop off bus for a city tour, getting off when we see Starbucks and other places we want to shop at, Harriet will want lots of American candy and snacks, she has a list of ones to try. I love grape soda and diet root beer neither of which you can really get in the UK.

Think it will be an early night after a quick look around Times Square at night and dinner perhaps in Shake Shack both of which are near the Hotel Wellington where we are staying until Thursday.

Plan to be on the first ferry to Liberty Island on Tuesday morning at 9 and will book I a few months tickets for the pedestal and crown, its only a few dollars etc for the crown and we can then decide on the day if we will climb the 354 to the top. My daughter is a bit claustrophobic and it may be a bit hot.
We will then get the ferry back to Battery Park and walk to the 9/11 site before getting the subway back to hotel for a chill.
Afternoon – not much planned although I’m sure Harriet’s dollars will be burning a hole in her pocket and we will end up shopping.
Evening – the Rockerfeller Tower is near the hotel so will try to go to the Top of the Rock at dusk to see the city in the day and night.

Wednesday – currently includes Empire State Building and to walk across the Brooklyn Bridge visiting Century 21 (large TK Maxx type store with designer bargains?). Central Park a possibility too and Grand Central also on list of to do’s.

Thursday morning, I think we need to leave for the cruise terminal by about 12.30 as its an hour to the port and we need to be there by 3 at the latest, not yet booked transfers, taxi but complicated as crossing into New Jersey and public transport not easy especially with luggage, may look at Uber or a shuttle or see what the hotel suggest.
We want to visit Madame Tussauds on Times Square so think will do this in the morning and more shopping!

When we arrive back in NY, early on Saturday morning of the 12th August, I want to stay near the Friends building and Magnolia Bakery from Sex in the City in Greenwich Village, more relaxed in this area.

Hotel not booked yet although need to sort this soon as doesn’t seem to be as many in the Greenwich area, looked at Washington Square Hotel and Trump Soho, both a bit above budget and not sure want to support the latter!
In the afternoon plan to go up to the One World Observatory and see if we can see the cruise ship sail from Bayonne.

Sunday and Monday – still in the planning stages – possibly the High Line and anything we didn’t get chance to do last week. Also considering the Ride or some of the TV sites possibly the Gossip Girl tour.
Flight home is Monday evening so will need to check out of hotel on Monday at some point.

XOXO Gillian !
Old 27 Jan 17, 06:35 AM  
Link to this Post
EJSakaAnna
Imagineer

Mobile

Sounds like an amazing trip! We loved wandering around Greenwich village, great idea to stay there for your last few nights .
Lookong forward to reading along! x
EJSakaAnna is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 17, 11:41 PM  
Link to this Post
mrsdjh
Imagineer

Mobile

This sounds like a great trip. My 14 year old is currently saving hard for when she can visit Sephora at Disney Springs. She'd love a trip to NY too!
mrsdjh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 17, 12:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Sotong
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by EJSakaAnna View Post
Sounds like an amazing trip! We loved wandering around Greenwich village, great idea to stay there for your last few nights .
Lookong forward to reading along! x
Just opened your trip report to get some ideas xx