Notices

Old 5 Feb 17, 05:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Sotong
slightly serious Dibber

Hotel Update and a new Map App!

Even though there is 6 months to go (176 days to be exact) I was getting nervous about hotels in the Greenwich area especially as there don't seem to be as many as there is in other areas of Manhattan.

I then saw one evening a deal on the Washington Square Hotel, not in central Greenwich but walkable from the main sites there and also Soho where lots of the shops are. Its in the University area with a park / the square near by.
Booked the 2 nights here after we return from the cruise for $700 to be paid on arrival so can be cancelled and changed.

From the outside certainly looks impressive!

I've also been watching the exchange rates with the inauguration of Trump and announcements on Brexit, linked to this I opened my first savings tin. We were pleased with the £117 in it as mainly all coins and only £40 in £1's rest was small coins, as the exchange rate had improved to $1.25 I've moved this onto my FairFX card and started off my spending money account.

Lots more planning going on including maps and routes for the Big Bus hop on hop off and keep looking at which attraction pass is best but no decision yet.

I've downloaded the Ulmon map, this allows you to save places to see, eat etc onto a map which can be used off line. Added loads of places so can see what can do thats near each other, currently looks like this.

Gillian.

Edited at 09:09 PM.
Sotong is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 17, 04:14 PM  
Link to this Post
stecee
Imagineer

Wow, it sounds like you have a fantastic trip in the making.
'Oct 97 Days inn main gate west, June '02 Days inn main gate west, Dec '05 All star movie resort, Aug '07 Caribbean Beach Resort, Sept '09 Port Orleans Riverside, Oct'10 Tour then villa at Highgate, May '12 Emerald Island villa. Oct '14 The Keys then SSR.
stecee is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Mar 17, 11:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Sotong
slightly serious Dibber

We are now into March and despite being busy with life! I have managed to sort a couple more things towards our summer trip.

Firstly Statue of Liberty tickets go on sale 6 months before so expected to buy these on 1st March, however it was the 7th before they appeared on the website. Ive bought tickets for the ferry, access to Liberty and Ellis islands plus tickets to climb the pedestal and the crown. I'm not sure we will climb the crown as Harriet is a bit claustrophobic and it may be too hot. However it was only another $5 each so have got them and we can decide on the day.
Tickets booked for 9am so we have time to get an NY breakfast first, Harriet wants Starbucks, although we will be up early as it's our first day.

I also bought a Kipling bag on eBay, it's a Defea in jazzy blue for the collectors out there, perfect for a day in the city. Bargain as only £11 and hardly used.

We have also got a new light box for our countdown, bit labour intensive to change it every day so starting at 21 weeks!

Lastly updated screensavers on iPad and phone as below, just to get me in the mood!

Back soon, Gillian. X
Sotong is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Mar 17, 02:00 PM  
Link to this Post
redredshopper
Imagineer

Your trip is coming along nicely I've just downloaded the map app as that's a great idea.
Old 17 Apr 17, 02:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Sotong
slightly serious Dibber

April update ...

Its now April and Easter weekend plus a few days off work with Harriet as its school holidays, so lots of time to waste on the internet reading trip reports, browsing forums and Facebook groups etc and doing some more planning for our summer trip.

It’s 100 days to go later this week so approaching the opening of pre booking window for cruise activities, shows etc.
Anthem of the Seas is a large ship with nearly 5000 passengers so pre booking the most popular shows and activities is essential for us planners (although not quite as difficult as booking Disney fastpasses!)
On an Anthem of the Seas Facebook group I saw a question from someone booking activities of the end of August and when I went to check ours were available to book.

There are 3 shows, which are shown 3 or 4 times across the week,

We Will Rock You, a show based on Queen music

Spectra Cabaret that is performed in Two70 area against the rear windows of the ship which double up as interactive screens.

The Gift performed in the theatre, so assuming a more typical cruise / Broadway type show.

Wasn’t that easy to schedule these in as the early showings were often about same time as we returned from port and the late ones clashed with our dinner seating at 8.15pm. However have booked all 3 including 2 on Day 2 when we are at sea, one at 6pm as think will have had enough sun bathing by then and the other after dinner at 10.15.
I’ve booked 2 tickets for each show although not totally convinced Harriet will join me, on the Disney ship two years ago she was far too busy with her friends in the clubs to join me at any of the shows!

One thing that I tried to do on the Disney cruise 2 years ago but failed was the wine tasting but I’ve managed to book this for me this year, thought it was reasonable at £14. Booked for day 8 another sea day and towards the end of the cruise.

Activities to book include Ripcord by I-fly, this is the sky diving simulator where you float on air, I’d originally booked this for the same afternoon as the wine tasting, but have now changed it for a morning earlier on in the cruise. Booked for Harriet too but not sure she will be brave enough to give it a go.

I’ve also booked North Star for our first day at 5.30pm just after sail away which is at 4pm. Hopefully this will give us a view of New York in the distance and possibly other parts of the US coast plus ships, boats etc and not just sea.
North Star is a pod like on the London Eye that is on an arm that rises up 300 feet and then goes over the sea to give 360-degree views.

Other activities on board include Bumper / Dodgem cars and a puzzle / escape room, although doesn’t look like I can book these in advance.

Harriet also persuaded me to book the Dreamworks character breakfast for 8am on our first morning on board the ship, it was only £16 (£8 each) so I have done this although not sure we will get up in time! May rethink this nearer the time as it’s easy to cancel and get money back.

After seeing a thread of the Dibb about US hotel prices I also had a look to see what the current pricing of our New York hotels as booked both on Hotels.com on a free cancellation basis a few months ago, was pleased to see that the Wellington Hotel had reduced by £100 from £740 to £634 for the 3 nights, so have cancelled my original booking and rebooked at the lower price. I was pleasantly surprised how easy that this was although yet to get the refund into my bank account!

Next few steps in planning will be the emptying of my money jar that is nearly full, I’m going to try to drill a hole in the bottom so don’t smash it but not sure it will work!
I also need to finalise what we definitely want to see and do in New York and buy an attraction pass to match.

The Money Jar !

Gillian x
Old 2 May 17, 09:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Sotong
slightly serious Dibber

Money Jar update!

With the impending removal of old £5 notes and £1 coins I have tonight drilled a successful hole into my money jar and am really pleased with the results of my savings.

£650 or $800!

Now to decide if the exchange will get better or worse due to the General election! and how much to take in cash and how much onto my prepaid FairFx card.

Gillian
Old 24 Jun 17, 11:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Sotong
slightly serious Dibber

June Update - passes and online check in

Trip report and holiday planning getting a bit neglected as life is busy at the moment, personal and work so all good!
36 days to go until travel to Heathrow the night before our flight to New York.

However last week I finally decided needed to book my attraction passes and have gone for the new york explorer pass with 5 choices to be used over 30 days, this was best for us as we have a split stay with the cruise in the middle.
Current plan includes using this pass for Top of the Rock / the Rockefeller centre, Madam Tussauds, the Hop On Hop Off bus and the Empire State Building, then one other which will probably either be the Gossip Girl bus tour or The Ride / The Tour bus experiences.

Following reviews on the Dibb used Attractions Tickets Direct and soon received a posh wallet with our passes and guidebook.

We also want to see a show on Broadway and are currently thinking Kinky Boots on the Wednesday evening at 8, tickets are from $79 or we can wait until the day and get ‘rush’ tickets for $39 – decision to be made soon!

This morning I had some free time with the internet! and have completed our pre cruse check in including adding passport details and uploading a security photo, I found one for me but am currently awaiting Harriet’s selfie! this means I can print our set sail pass and luggage tags ready to travel.

I also had a look at hotel prices and again have managed to rebook one of the NY hotels (Washington Square) with a £100 saving on the January price.

The other planning to be done is to decide what clothes we need to pack and buy this will include formal and smart casual for cruise dining and comfy shoes for New York!

Gillian
Old 24 Jun 17, 02:44 PM  
Link to this Post
nursetina
Apprentice Imagineer

Wow so many similarities in our trips! (Apart from cruise)
I am going with my DD but she is older than yours (26), we have booked explorer passes with 5 attractions, planning on totr, esb, 9/11, starlight cruise and hoho bus. Plan to do more but that's what we are using our passes for. Excellent value.
We have tickets booked for kinky boots as DD is a Brendon urie fan and we are musicals mad ha ha.
We are staying at room mate grace hotel just off Times Square, we got an amazing bargin as only booked it all 6 weeks ago. Booked through e bookers we have virgin flights from Manchester, 4 nights hotel, all for £550 each!Think I just got lucky as the next day it all went up to £800 each!
Getting very excited now as we go to mercure hotel near airport next Sunday to stay overnight and fly next Monday. Good luck with rest of your trip planning.
nursetina is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jul 17, 06:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Sotong
slightly serious Dibber

Quick update as countdown moving fast!

My daughter passionately told me a show on Broadway was on her bucket list so decided to pre book tickets for Kinky Boots, more investigation showed that the $79 ones are restricted view so have booked more expensive ones! I may only get to take her to NY once so never mind the cost ($300!).
We've decided not to do any tours on the cruise so have reduced the budget there and did get cost of hotel reduced by rebooking.

Will try to post again before we leave, only 25 days to go, keep saying in 4 weeks time we will be in New York.

Gillian.
Old 5 Jul 17, 06:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Sotong
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by nursetina View Post
Wow so many similarities in our trips! (Apart from cruise)
I am going with my DD but she is older than yours (26), we have booked explorer passes with 5 attractions, planning on totr, esb, 9/11, starlight cruise and hoho bus. Plan to do more but that's what we are using our passes for. Excellent value.
We have tickets booked for kinky boots as DD is a Brendon urie fan and we are musicals mad ha ha.
We are staying at room mate grace hotel just off Times Square, we got an amazing bargin as only booked it all 6 weeks ago. Booked through e bookers we have virgin flights from Manchester, 4 nights hotel, all for £550 each!Think I just got lucky as the next day it all went up to £800 each!
Getting very excited now as we go to mercure hotel near airport next Sunday to stay overnight and fly next Monday. Good luck with rest of your trip planning.
Just reread your post Harriet is also a Brendan Urie fan so we've also booked Kinky Boots tickets, see my post ! Gillian