Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Closed Thread

Old 29 Oct 16, 10:39 AM  
Link to this Post
bella9
VIP Dibber

Mobile Replacing built-in fridge freezer

F/F needs replacing, but it's built in, and directly next to a supporting wall - think it's where the kitchen was extended. Built in appliances were not my choice, but I inherited the built in kitchen when we bought the house. Anyhoo, what choices, if any, do I have re replacing the fridge freezer? I would prefer a free-standing F/F, ideally, an American style, but they won't fit in the space, and, where there is space in the kitchen to put one would mean the built-in surround/area is redundant.

Any ideas, advice, please. 😊😊
bella9 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Oct 16, 10:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
I dont like built in ones. Can you not have a free standing one and then 'insert' a larder cupboard carcass into the free space and use the existing doors?

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Oct 16, 10:51 AM  
Link to this Post
bella9
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
I dont like built in ones. Can you not have a free standing one and then 'insert' a larder cupboard carcass into the free space and use the existing doors?
Thanks, Mr T, I don't like them either, but the previous house owner had recently extended the kitchen and put in built in dish washer, and fridge freezer. So, we've lived with the built in stuff because they were practically new. Must admit, the F/F is a good size; I've shopped around and they are so much smaller, so we've held on to it, but it's on its last legs now.

I came across a similar suggestion to yours on the 'net, which I'm probably going to go for. Who do I get to remove the fridge freezer, as in, tradesman? Thanks. 😊😊
bella9 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Oct 16, 11:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
The doors for the fridge and freezer are fixed to the built in appliances doors by special screws that are normally visible when you open the doors. If not they will be behind a panel of the fridge/freezer which you unscrew thus exposing another panel that is screwed directly to the unit doors.
Easy for me to say as I have done loads but they aren't hard to undo.
Then all you have to do is remove the kickboard which is normally clipped on and pull the appliances out - standy for the mess behind!
Then you will be able to see what you have left. Sometimes its a full carcass and sometimes there is no back - only pulling it out will tell.
You can pick up carcass inserts online or at most places like Selco etc.

The only problem you will have is the inside of the doors you remove will have damage to them where the screws have gone in. Last time I did one of these I drilled slightly bigger holes and tapped in coloured plastic grommets to hide them as best as.

Edited at 11:01 AM.
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Oct 16, 11:22 AM  
Link to this Post
bella9
VIP Dibber

Mobile

The doors for the fridge and freezer are fixed to the built in appliances doors by special screws that are normally visible when you open the doors. If not they will be behind a panel of the fridge/freezer which you unscrew thus exposing another panel that is screwed directly to the unit doors.
Easy for me to say as I have done loads but they aren't hard to undo.
Then all you have to do is remove the kickboard which is normally clipped on and pull the appliances out - standy for the mess behind!
Then you will be able to see what you have left. Sometimes its a full carcass and sometimes there is no back - only pulling it out will tell.
You can pick up carcass inserts online or at most places like Selco etc.

The only problem you will have is the inside of the doors you remove will have damage to them where the screws have gone in. Last time I did one of these I drilled slightly bigger holes and tapped in coloured plastic grommets to hide them as best as.
Thanks, Mr T, appreciate the advice. Is it a joiner that I need? I wouldn't even try to have a go myself; tradesmen know what they're doing, and, have the tools and the knowledge to handle any nasties that are uncovered. I'm expecting some short cuts, etc to be uncovered, as it's happened a few times when I've had things replaced or repaired; thankfully, the tradesmen have been able to work their magic and sort probs out. ☺☺
Old 29 Oct 16, 11:31 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
By trade (albeit a long time ago!) I was a Carpenter & Joiner so thats the trade you are looking for or a kitchen fitter as they do this type of thing all the time.
I would have thought £100 to £150 for labour as its no more than a 2 or 3 hour job even if the back is missing.

Old 29 Oct 16, 11:44 AM  
Link to this Post
bella9
VIP Dibber

Mobile

By trade (albeit a long time ago!) I was a Carpenter & Joiner so thats the trade you are looking for or a kitchen fitter as they do this type of thing all the time.
I would have thought £100 to £150 for labour as its no more than a 2 or 3 hour job even if the back is missing.
Ahhh, thank you so much for all your help. I feel so much better about the replacement now - I hate feeling out of my depth. ☺☺
Old 29 Oct 16, 12:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Greyfriars
Imagineer

Mobile

I am not keen on built in but made this surround for our American fridge freezer.
Note the wine rack😁
Old 29 Oct 16, 01:02 PM  
Link to this Post
bella9
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Greyfriars View Post
I am not keen on built in but made this surround for our American fridge freezer.
Note the wine rack😁
That's lovely, Mr G. Yeah, noticed the essential wine rack - needs filling up, asap! 😋 Safe to say the only thing I can make are cups of tea and coffee! ☺☺
Old 29 Oct 16, 01:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Greyfriars
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by bella9 View Post
That's lovely, Mr G. Yeah, noticed the essential wine rack - needs filling up, asap! 😋 Safe to say the only thing I can make are cups of tea and coffee! ☺☺
It's fuller than it looks. 😁 Surprising as I don't drink! 😋