Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 5 Feb 21, 08:29 PM  
Link to this Post
scottishnellie
VIP Dibber

scottishnellie's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Mobile

I’m so sorry your daughter is going through this.

I can only comment on my own personal experience of CAMHS which is that they were completely useless for my Godson who has Aspergers, and was extensively self harming with suicidal thoughts. Appointments took forever and when they did happen it was a different counsellor every time and he eventually refused to go as he felt he was starting from scratch every time and nobody was actually listening to him. I don’t know if anyone else has a more positive experience to relay. I can only comment on ours.

His mum eventually had to seek help privately with which we are starting to see some light at the end of a very long tunnel. His mum also found it helpful to join social media support groups with other parents in a similar position. Unfortunately this country presently has completely inadequate resources to deal with mental health in the younger population. I’m hoping the governments recent appointment of Dr Alex might lead to some positive change.

I wish I could advise you on something to help but the only thing I could think when I read your post was ‘oh lord - don’t rely on them helping’

I really hope you find support. Whether it be a better CAMHS experience than ours, or from another source. I wish your family love and strength xx

Helen xx

Here's a link to all my previous trip reports since 2015
trip report list by year
scottishnellie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Feb 21, 08:44 PM  
Link to this Post
MargaretMouse
VIP Dibber

They were useless for my son, when he was 14, tbh made the situation worse, but every one will have different experiences and it’s always best to seek the correct advice.
Old 5 Feb 21, 08:50 PM  
Link to this Post
dizzzy
Very Serious Dibber

dizzzy's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

My daughter went though camhs a few years ago and for her they were great. She ended up having emdr for trauma which worked really well for her.

I know services are stretched at the moment though and people have different experiences depending on where they live as they’re all run by different trusts.

Young minds have some good information on their site and have a parents section if I remember right. They also have a crisis messenger that young people can text.

I hope your daughter gets the support she needs.
dizzzy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Feb 21, 08:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Gull
Imagineer

Sorry to read about your situation. My DD is the same age, can’t imagine your pain. Hope to god you get the help she needs. It’s a crying shame that help isn’t more readily available and that, going by the comments so far, camhs isn’t up to the job. Best wishes to you and all the other posters needing help 💜
Gull is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Feb 21, 08:57 PM  
Link to this Post
inky1
Imagineer

I’m sorry to hear about your daughter it’s such a worry but luckily now you know you can try to help.
My son was initially turned down by CAMHS in 2018 even though he was in real danger of being permanently excluded from his second senior school,
I was desperate to get to the route of his poor behaviour .When he was accepted about one year later he was diagnosed with ADHD at the first appointment.Now if I have any concerns and ring them they provide help very quickly.Hes recently been diagnosed with ASD as well,so I’ve found them to be good once you can get in the door .
Good luck .
inky1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Feb 21, 09:00 PM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

I think the variation in camhs is huge .
My biggest concern would be the timescale to get the help
Good luck
Our MOST ANNOYING trip to Tenerife February 2018 ( an homage to infamous dibb threads
buryboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Feb 21, 09:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Planning
Imagineer

I hope you are alright and get to speak to someone soon. Have you looked at any of the support organisations like Young Minds (who have a parent’s helpline), or there’s the text “SHOUT” to 85258 helpline, they might be able to give some guidance.
Disney Planning is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Feb 21, 10:10 PM  
Link to this Post
toots82
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by alibeau View Post
Hi,

I’m sorry to hear about your DD, such a worry 💕

My DD has also been referred to CAHMS back in December for severe anxiety following the loss of her older sister.

I have a good friend who has experience of CAHMS, she couldn’t praise them enough (eventually) but it was a long wait initially and tricky to get the ‘right’ help...

We couldn’t wait, we felt DD needed help now and so we are currently paying for a private counsellor, one session a week.

I really hope you get the help you need and quickly. Sending very best wishes 💕

Ali x
So sorry for your loss xxx
toots82 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Feb 21, 10:47 PM  
Link to this Post
vowels
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Hels80 View Post
If you are worried about her and think she’s in crisis, and suicidal, take her straight to A&E and they can get an emergency assessment.
Camhs do have waiting lists and can take a while to get in touch.
So sorry to hear she’s going through this. Hugs to you both. Keep nagging them and hopefully they will start the ball rolling for support ASAP.
I agree with Hels80, if you are in anyway concerned that your daughter may harm herself, or that her mental health is failing, take her straight to A&E.
They will have a member of their mental health team speak to you both and offer the help your daughter needs.

I had to take my daughter to A&E last summer as her anxiety level was extremely concerning and found the mental health team extremely kind, patient and reassuring. She does attend CAMHS, she has ADHD, but the hospital were going to refer her for an emergency appointment. CAHMS called the next day.

My daughter has attended CAMHS for ten years and my main complaint is the turnover of staff as they only seem to have one year contracts.

I hope you do not mind, but I have sent a PM
vowels is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Feb 21, 10:48 PM  
Link to this Post
suehen
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Disney Dreaming View Post
DD 14 has been having counselling at school for her mental health, today the school rang me to say that she had said somethings that were a safeguarding issue, she told the counsellor that she feels suicidal, although didn’t feel that way today so they suggested that I ring the doctor and see what they say, when I was discussing it with her she admitted that she has been self harming. The dr has rang and has sent a referral through. Does anyone have any experience of CAHMS.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I am sorry your daughter is going through this and you and your family, our DD was 15 when we got a call from her school that was 18 years ago. DD was referred to CAHMS which helped her and our family a-lot we went to see out GP first and the referral to CAHMS was the next day I believe its changed now and CAHMS, the school and a local mental health charity all worked together. We were grateful for the help we received, all I can remember was being in shock when the school called, it was hard listening to her say that she just wanted to be with her grandma.

It was only a few months after we had lost my mother-in-law her grandma. I hope you do not have to wait to long for help and take care of yourself and your daughter the best advice I got was to listen to our daughter no matter how hard and just to make sure she was not alone too long on her own.
suehen is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List