Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 3 Mar 21, 12:46 PM  
Link to this Post
boo2
Imagineer

boo2's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Ideas for increased privacy in garden

Probably a bit of a long post but want to fill in some of the back story😊.

We moved house in November and love the house and garden but in some ways the garden is more overlooking than we want. It’s one of those things we knew before we moved and was a bit of a negative but the house works so well we were willing to overlook it.
Down one side of the house our neighbours house is side on to ours and because they are on a different street there back garden is along the side of our house. It’s okay apart from their decking makes them higher than the fence in some areas and there children’s trampoline is at our back door and kitchen window which means they look in.
The previous owners have trellis above the fence and some plants growing. It’s just not really enough and we would like more privacy.
Does anyone have suggestions please.
Photo out the back door

One kitchen window

From the main part of garden

The window that overlooks is just in their landing and the door is their utility room door so not a big issue it’s more when that are in the garden they are above the height of the fence because of the slope of their garden and their decked area.

Edited at 12:50 PM.
boo2 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Mar 21, 01:00 PM  
Link to this Post
floridasgirl
Imagineer

More long term but I would plant laurels as they will provide year round privacy and are fairly quick growing.
Short term, put some bamboo screening up
Christmas/New Year 1999/2000 Indian Ridge Villa, May 2001 Fort Lauderdale /I Drive/Port Charlotte/Key West/Miami, May 2005 Westhaven Villa, April 2006 Rotunda Villa/Highlands Reserve Villa, June 2007 Sanibel Villa/Grand Cypress Villas, Christmas/New Year 2010/2011 Lake Wilson Preserve Villa, July/Aug 2012 reunion resort villa, Nov 2012 new York new York!
floridasgirl is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Mar 21, 01:03 PM  
Link to this Post
abiknox
Imagineer

abiknox's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Faux hedge trellis?
abiknox is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Mar 21, 01:07 PM  
Link to this Post
mason1
Imagineer

mason1's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
As PP said, grow Laurel. We’ve got lots of Laurel and provides excellent privacy from neighbours, and is evergreen, very hardy and can be cut back hard and regrows. It’ll take a couple of years to get the cover you want, but definitely worth it. In the meantime, you could add rolled bamboo to the trellis part, which will act as a blocker.
Old 3 Mar 21, 01:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Ivegottadream
VIP Dibber

You can get privacy film for the window?
Would the neighbors agree to a higher fence? It would benefit them too.
Ivegottadream is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Mar 21, 01:45 PM  
Link to this Post

Could grow laurel or in the interim buy the laurel or hedge trellis - wierdly there was a thread about it in the last week or so. It would work if you just put it along the top trellis and would screen a bit. And could grow quick growing clematia or something over the top of it so you had fairly instant flowers. downsides are that it might be quite expensive for the trellis, and wouldn't necessarily go to the ground so would look like it was floating in mid air.

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1189927

Alternatively bamboo or rush matting rolls whilst you wait for something to grow over the trellis.

Your concerns about the fence aside, you look as though you have a lovely garden with loads of potential.

Our neighbours have a trampoline and all we can see is their kids heads bouncing up and down but the state and shout over the fence each time. I will be investing in some.screening trellis too 😁

Edited at 01:49 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Mar 21, 02:01 PM  
Link to this Post
boo2
Imagineer

boo2's Reviews
Originally Posted by FamilyGWales View Post
Could grow laurel or in the interim buy the laurel or hedge trellis - wierdly there was a thread about it in the last week or so. It would work if you just put it along the top trellis and would screen a bit. And could grow quick growing clematia or something over the top of it so you had fairly instant flowers. downsides are that it might be quite expensive for the trellis, and wouldn't necessarily go to the ground so would look like it was floating in mid air.

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1189927

Alternatively bamboo or rush matting rolls whilst you wait for something to grow over the trellis.

Your concerns about the fence aside, you look as though you have a lovely garden with loads of potential.

Our neighbours have a trampoline and all we can see is their kids heads bouncing up and down but the state and shout over the fence each time. I will be investing in some.screening trellis too 😁

The rest of the garden is pretty secluded. It’s just the area down that side.
I think I might buy some bamboo screening and see how that goes.
I would also like to grown some honeysuckle or something up the trellis.
Like most houses our last one had issues with being overlooked but none of the houses were as close. It’s a great house and we are happy we moved, just need to solve this minor issue😊
boo2 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Mar 21, 02:04 PM  
Link to this Post
dizzzy
Very Serious Dibber

dizzzy's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
We have pleached hedging which I love. The only downside is it takes a while to establish so isn't a quick fix.
dizzzy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Mar 21, 02:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

We have bamboo planted. It's great.

Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Mar 21, 02:36 PM  
Link to this Post
JLH
Imagineer

Mobile

I have lots of bamboo both in pots and in the ground - I use it to screen as one neighbour only has a small fence which I hate I do like my privacy in the garden. They do need watering lots of in pots though . I am trying to persuade my son to make me a screen out of cedar wood strips to surround my patio for extra privacy . If you didn’t need total block out I would say take a look at an online shop called screen with envy - some lovely screens on there but sadly most allow some visibility through ( and they are quite expensive!)