Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 9 Apr 21, 09:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by mickeyspal View Post
Are they computer savvy a little bit? A subscription to something like ancestry so they can research their family trees
Cannot agree more. Ancestry has kept us occupied for the last 12 Months. We now have circa 2400 Relatives listed and we only ever knew about 20!

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Apr 21, 10:14 AM  
Link to this Post
fizzypop
Imagineer

Thank you all for your ideas, I’m going to have a look at your suggestions today and see what I can work out. I just so can’t wait to see them and work out for myself what’s happening with them.
fizzypop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Apr 21, 10:31 AM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Originally Posted by fizzypop View Post
Thank you all for your ideas, I’m going to have a look at your suggestions today and see what I can work out. I just so can’t wait to see them and work out for myself what’s happening with them.
You are so kind and thoughtful but I do think your parents could be doing this for themselves.

We are not as old as your parents but I would not expect my kids to be sourcing things for me to do. I do understand the frustrations but they have plenty of life experience maybe just a conversation with them about what they would like to do would work.

Could they volunteer, go out walking, get some bedding plants for the garden, decorate, start knitting, crouchet, take up painting or other handicraft, create a shed space for DIY?

I feel very sad when the belief seems to be that when older you need jigsaw puzzles! Though I accept some people lobe them before I am shot in the head!
munmun is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Apr 21, 10:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

This was not a lockdown situation but when my dad was having chemo and too poorly to get out and my mums nerves & anxiety levels were though the roof. We set up a bird station. I don’t know if thats the right wording. But inside the house, close to the patio doors off the dining area (a window would be fine) we put two comfy chairs and a little side table (so they could put a drink/snack on it). Outside the patio we hung bird feeders and put a bird bath. We printed a information bird sheet with pictures and names of different birds. They had a note book and would love to sit and watch the birds come and go, noting the different birds they had seen.
It was very relaxing for them and I would highly recommend it x x

Edited at 10:39 AM.
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Apr 21, 10:42 AM  
Link to this Post
JudyC
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Floridatilly View Post
This was not a lockdown situation but when my dad was having chemo and too poorly to get out and my mums nerves & anxiety levels were though the roof. We set up a bird station. I don’t know if thats the right wording. But inside the house, close to the patio doors off the dining area (a window would be fine) we put two comfy chairs and a little side table (so they could put a drink/snack on it). Outside the patio we hung bird feeders and put a bird bath. We printed a information bird sheet with pictures and names of different birds. They had a note book and would love to sit and watch the birds come and go, noting the different birds they had seen.
I've heard you can get bird camera boxes now and some people find them fascinating.
93 94 03 2023 DLP

Edited at 04:54 PM.
JudyC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Apr 21, 10:55 AM  
Link to this Post
MinniMouse
VIP Dibber

MinniMouse's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by JudyC View Post
I've heard to can get bird camera boxes now and some people find them fascinating.
We have several boxes for the birds here and a camera in one, unfortunately we only have one set of blue tits and they have set up camp in another box! They've been in the box since last year which is really unusual. They've never left. Our camera was from Greenwings.

To the OP, if your parents are okay on the computer GeoGuessr is quite good. You do have to pay, but it's not a lot. It's like a geography quiz. You can move around to get clues ie road signs, types of vehicles or buildings etc and you put the pin on where in the world you are and you points for how close you are. Quite time consuming. Takes you to some random places.
MinniMouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Apr 21, 10:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Borderbairn
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Floridatilly View Post
We did this and have so loved watching and identifying the birds. We took part in the RSPB birdwatch as well.

Southern Dunes 2006 & 2007 Highlands Reserve & Hard Rock Hotel May & Sep 2008 The Sanctuary West Haven 2009 Freedom of the Seas & Doubletree Resort 2010 Highlands Reserve May 2012 Windsor Hills 2014 New York 2016
Borderbairn is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Apr 21, 11:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Disney Planning
Imagineer

Not something to do but would an afternoon tea cheer them up? You can plenty delivered. I sent my mum and dad one from Piglets Pantry.
Disney Planning is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Apr 21, 11:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Lola
Imagineer

Lola's Reviews
DD sent us Lego
Lola is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Apr 21, 12:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Sign them up for an online spirits tasting event. A friend of ours has a specialty spirits store and hosts tasting nights (he does different ones each time). He sends out the samples in advance and then on the specified night you join a zoom call and he explains all the different spirits you are trying and the history of them. It’s fun and educational!
Sparksy72 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List