Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 11 Jun 21, 06:11 PM  
Link to this Post
GoldenAvalanche
Imagineer

Originally Posted by speedwayfan View Post
I agree, the City road system and access to the A1 is excellent. We stay here because it's also very commutable by train - 45 mins to Kings X.

I don't think Stamford is snobby (although maybe I'm a snob) but agree the traffic can be an issue. We tend to go during the week as it's much quieter. As for living there, the population is a much older demographic so lots of people, including us, like the idea of being within walking distance of the town centre and so don't always have to use a car - something that is worth considering for us as we get older

Thanks, I'll have a look from that side the next time I visit Waitrose but TBH I don't go out much atm and it's become a bad habit.

TBH I was referring to plans made years ago to connect the old co-op/Beales building that was supposed to be connected by bridge to Queensgate centre and provide more retail stores. Not sure if this was scrapped or is still planned, there's certainly lots of scope and space around the city to make it more welcoming in the future.

Jill
I couldn’t afford live in the centre of Stamford 😂😂
GoldenAvalanche is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jun 21, 08:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

Mobile

What’s so bad about Peterborough? I’ve never been but it’s not somewhere I’ve ever heard mocked at all? I need to visit now!

Our 2015 Food Trip Report http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=891973
Vanillapod is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jun 21, 08:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

Mobile

I’ve just had a look at the list.
I thought Aylesbury was supposed to be nice? Or did I completely imagine that?
I like York too.
Our town featured in a book called crap towns. I think the author may have lived here in his youth.

Our 2015 Food Trip Report http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=891973
Vanillapod is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jun 21, 10:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisa123wm
Imagineer

Where I live is often voted one of the best places to live in the UK and has been number 1 on a few lists.
Looking at that list, I’m shocked at York being on there though. I love it, it’s a fab city. Can only think that locals maybe get fed up of tourists and I know they think it’s expensive there (it’s really not compared to other parts of the UK, but I think is for up north).
As for Peterborough, I’ve only been once and that was just to the passport office. I can’t believe it’s the worst city in the UK though tbh 🤔
Aug/Sept 09, Jan/Feb 10 - DLP, Aug 13 - NPBC DLP
Lisa123wm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jun 21, 10:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisa123wm
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Twin mummy View Post
I live in York and love it but lots of people seem to hate it if you read the local paper. Mainly because of the effect stag and hen parties have on the city centre. I know many people who wouldn’t go near the centre from lunchtime on a Saturday.

Think it’s often when places go through a period of rapid change and people don’t like the changes.
We visit around 3 times per year (last visit was BH weekend last week) and after our first visit on a Friday and Saturday night, we avoid those days now.
Must admit, the amount of drunken stag and hen parties was quite shocking - mostly from Newcastle one taxi driver told us.

We mostly visit Sunday - Tuesday now and it’s a much nicer experience.
Lisa123wm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jun 21, 11:33 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
I live about 40 minutes from Peterborough , I go there frequently, as it happens I’ve been tonight there for a meal .

I travel a fair bit and I can’t see for the life of me why anyone would consider Peterborough to be one of the worst cities .

Sure there’s a few rundown areas , and the gypsies run riot on the camp over near TC Harrison’s ( my husband works near there every night and sees what they get up to )

But the actually city is nice and safe enough .
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jun 21, 11:34 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Originally Posted by Vanillapod View Post
What’s so bad about Peterborough? I’ve never been but it’s not somewhere I’ve ever heard mocked at all? I need to visit now!
Honestly I don’t know .

My husband goes there daily for work
I go there maybe 3/4 times a month to shop or go for a meal ..

Apart from the usual rough areas every city has , I can’t see what the problem is ?
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jun 21, 11:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Twin mummy
Imagineer

Twin mummy's Reviews
Originally Posted by Lisa123wm View Post
We visit around 3 times per year (last visit was BH weekend last week) and after our first visit on a Friday and Saturday night, we avoid those days now.
Must admit, the amount of drunken stag and hen parties was quite shocking - mostly from Newcastle one taxi driver told us.

We mostly visit Sunday - Tuesday now and it’s a much nicer experience.
Yes it’s the staggering, swearing drunks all over town in the middle of the day and the piles of vomit- almost makes the centre a no go area on the weekend- frustrating to locals who work all week.
Pre pandemic, I once happened to be at the train station at 5pm on a Saturday- it was horrendous and very frightening with train loads of drunk people already leaving and others arriving for a night out.

Plus the traffic - getting from one side of York to the other can take over an hour - really excessive for such a small place- combination of limited river crossings and the A1237 never being duelled.

Add in a council that tends to put in policies for visitors not residents and you might begin to understand the issues behind the prettiness.
Oh and I’ve forgotten race days- eurgh!
Old 12 Jun 21, 11:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Lisa123wm
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Twin mummy View Post
Yes it’s the staggering, swearing drunks all over town in the middle of the day and the piles of vomit- almost makes the centre a no go area on the weekend- frustrating to locals who work all week.
Pre pandemic, I once happened to be at the train station at 5pm on a Saturday- it was horrendous and very frightening with train loads of drunk people already leaving and others arriving for a night out.

Plus the traffic - getting from one side of York to the other can take over an hour - really excessive for such a small place- combination of limited river crossings and the A1237 never being duelled.

Add in a council that tends to put in policies for visitors not residents and you might begin to understand the issues behind the prettiness.
Oh and I’ve forgotten race days- eurgh!
On the plus side, you get free entry to the Minster 😉