Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 19 May 18, 07:34 AM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

Sciatica ? Long walk ?

Morning all
I know this really is one for the doctor, but was hoping for personal experiences
On Monday , woke up with extreme pain in my lower leg. Hurt when I tried to move it and also spasmed a bit when still.
Took a naproxen and worked wonders for a while so went to work ( desk job ) . Pain returned later in the day , same leg but largely upper leg .
Got gradually better Tuesday but some pain in other leg.
Wednesday feeling much better and I went for short run/ walk ( first for 20 years ) but need to lose a little weight.
Felt some soreness in both lower legs but felt more muscle related ( due to not used to running ) than the earlier pain.
Fine Thursday until resting in the evening . Then big pains down the back of my leg / knee area. Unsettle night. Generally ok Friday apart from one big Yelp as I stood up once. Leg feels heavy / dull ache at other times. But more pain during night

My boss said it was sciatica , which he suffers from. Googling it suggest you also get back / buttock pain but I don't get that . I have never had sciatica or anything like this before

Anyway tomorrow I am due to do a 10 mile walk with a couple of mates. A bit of a tradition the last few years . They don't live too locally so generally I only see them once or twice a year. Both are ramblers , I'm not. I only walk this distance once a year and find it difficult but manageable

How am I likely to find it with my current problem. Will I find I can get half way round then have to give up ? The route is round my area, so they really need me as " Sherpa" . It isn't big hills etc,

Should I be looking to re- arrange or do you think I will be ok ?

I know that's tough to answer , just after some experiences ?
( I haven't seen doctor , Been busy at work)
Thanks for any advice
Our MOST ANNOYING trip to Tenerife February 2018 ( an homage to infamous dibb threads
buryboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 18, 08:43 AM  
Link to this Post
BnDamo
Imagineer

BnDamo's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 12
Ok I’m not medically trained but have some experience with sciatica. It certainly sounds like sciatica and symptoms can vary but I would advice you do get checked out next week.
However, the walk should not be a problem, generally exercise/movement helps to relieve the pain, just take it steady and do stop if the pain suddenly gets worse.
You said your symptoms were worse when resting and also you have a desk job. Standing, sitting even lying in bed staying in one position for too long is what causes the problem as this is when the sciatic nerve is “trapped”. At work you need to stand and move around regularly, sit properly and a change of chair may also help.
Hope the walk helps and the pain goes away soon.
BnDamo is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 18, 08:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Mexy02's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Google sciatica stretches and do some today and tomorrow before your walk and try to keep mobile today . Hope you enjoy your walk and get better soon x
Yacht club / Bahama bay oct/Nov 2019 , poly
Nov 2022 boulder ridge, Polynesian , AOA and Bahama bay
Sept 24 POFQ
Mexy02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 18, 09:00 AM  
Link to this Post
roxie2001
Imagineer

Mobile

I recently had sciatica, it was my lower back and was so painful. I was prescribed co codamol (only 2 at night as I feel sick and drowsy with them) over the phone and it took all the pain away and I continued to work and cycle as normal. So as long as you have pain killers I think you will be fine.
roxie2001 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 18, 11:08 AM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

Thanks a lot guys
Our MOST ANNOYING trip to Tenerife February 2018 ( an homage to infamous dibb threads
buryboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 18, 12:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Scotty
Imagineer

I find walking helps enormously, it is sitting and standing which is the worst. I agree with the poster above - specific stretches help enormously.
Old 19 May 18, 12:29 PM  
Link to this Post
FloridaDave
Imagineer

FloridaDave's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 7
I have permanent Sciatica due to damaged nerve root. Pain is down outside of right leg, crossing in lower limb and into foot (with significant numbness and foot pain). When it’s in flare up (which it is now) more pain in lower back, buttock and hip.

I do stretching exercises multiple times a day - although pain is your body’s way of telling you to avoid using that area to heal, nature isn’t perfect so you need to keep moving. Example is you bruise your hand, and touching/using it is painful do you don’t to let it heal. Sciatic pain is a bit more complex, especially in my case as it’s chronic so you avoid using the area, you cause issues elsewhere.

It’s a balance between just enough and too much - so personally I’d avoid doing a lot of exercise when in a flare up because at the time it might feel like it’s helping but the next day will be agony and could set you back.

Edited at 12:34 PM.
FloridaDave is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List