Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 6 Dec 18, 11:53 AM  
Link to this Post

So who is working at Xmas and why?

I am working parts of Xmas day and boxing day. I work for a cat rehoming charity and the little furballs still need their pens cleaned and feeding so its no rest for me! Honestly if you get a chance to volunteer or work in this sector give it a try - its very rewarding (not financially ha ha!).
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Dec 18, 12:00 PM  
Link to this Post
ally1966
Imagineer

Mobile

I work in a 24hr petrol station which will be open all over Christmas. This year I’ve been lucky enough to get 3 days off for Christmas. Last year I worked a night shift, 10pm on Christmas Eve till 6am Christmas morning, then had to come home and cook Christmas dinner for 15.
Old 6 Dec 18, 12:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Unexpectedpenny
Imagineer

Mobile

I’m a carer (for people in their own homes) and obviously they’ll still need care! I love it though so I don’t mind working Christmas

I would love your job too. Spending Christmas with cats sounds good to me!
Unexpectedpenny is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Dec 18, 12:13 PM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

Mobile

I'm working Boxing day.
As to why... People want to go on holiday..

Next Trip Feb '24
Jun98 Apr99 Dec99 Apr00 Mar03 Jun/Jul04 Dec/Jan05/06 Jul06 Dec06 Jun/Jul08 Jun/Jul09 Jul/Aug11 Sep13 Jun/Jul14 Nov15 Sep16 Villa/BWV May18 Villa/BLT/AKL Sept19 Villa/AKL Feb/Mar20 AKL/SSR Sep22 AKL Apr/May 23 CS/CC/AKL Nov 23 SSR Feb/Mar 24 RR/BR
bighal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Dec 18, 12:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Powlay
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 4
Christmas eve, christmas day, boxing day, new years eve, new years day. Working them all.

Wife and I run a sports and social centre. Think phoenix nights crosses shameless.
Old 6 Dec 18, 12:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Stitch & Smudge
Imagineer

Me. Nightshift in a petrochemical plant. Eighth year of Christmas on the trott. Nightshift slightly better than dayshift as at least I can have dinner with everyone else. But it pays for the holidays.
Stitch & Smudge is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Dec 18, 12:18 PM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Christmas eve and the 27th. We're an ambulatory department in a hospital so we close on the actual bank holidays, but work around them.

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Dec 18, 12:26 PM  
Link to this Post
dreamadream
Imagineer

Christmas night and Boxing Day night, midwife, so no option as bir5 can’t wait lol.
I actually don’t mind, we are bringing it all forward a day with Christmas dinner on the eve, presents on the day, bubble and squeak buffet with meats and cheeses on Christmas Day and then bed for a few hours.
Working it has a number of benefits;
Who doesn’t want to be there to greet a Christmas baby?
Extra money for holiday
As much as I love having family over, it’s nice to use it as an excuse to be just us 4 for once, much more chilled
dreamadream is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Dec 18, 12:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
I no longer work at Xmas, or indeed anytime of year. Retirement is great.

However. I never saw the 2 children open a Xmas present for at least 8 years. Also I was always working mornings, afternoons or nights. That went on for 32 years.

In the latter part of my career I could have dumped the issue in my Deputy's lap but he had young children so I always gave him the time off.

Tough financial times back then and the money was a godsend. Paid the gas bill and the car insurance in February.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Dec 18, 12:30 PM  
Link to this Post
JudgeJ26
Imagineer

Mobile

I work in a care home and as a community carer and at the moment I have been rostered in to work both Christmas night and Boxing night.
JudgeJ26 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List