Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 1 Mar 21, 11:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

MR T
When we hire usually Alamo for our long trips we either drop the car off at Disney Car Care by arrangement they then drop us off usually at Disney Springs and pick us up a couple of hours later when the car has been checked and been valeted ( we do wash and hoover the car out on long trips ) and we just drive away or we have 2. Car hires me as principal driver on one DH on the other or you can arrange to swap over at one of the smaller rental offices but many of them have shut due to Covid
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Mar 21, 05:58 PM  
Link to this Post
jim jehosofat
Imagineer

Originally Posted by cismwynn View Post
@DFCH-Andy - Thanks. There was some good advice there and I will contact you closer to the time.

Sixt look like they may do long term rentals at decent prices.

Th other one I have found that looks interesting is Turo
I'm pretty sure that with Turo you are actually renting someones car and insurances are extra. I sure Mr Tom Morrow posted someting about this company a year or so ago. I'll see what I can find.

Had a quick look, if you enter the word Turo in the search box in the top right corner of this page and select the car forum you'll find a few comments

Edited at 06:02 PM.
jim jehosofat is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Mar 21, 06:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by jim jehosofat View Post
I'm pretty sure that with Turo you are actually renting someones car and insurances are extra. I sure Mr Tom Morrow posted someting about this company a year or so ago. I'll see what I can find.

Had a quick look, if you enter the word Turo in the search box in the top right corner of this page and select the car forum you'll find a few comments
Spot on. I have no wish to drive a 1998 Toyota that belongs allegedly to somebody who resides on the Orange Blossom Trail!

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Mar 21, 07:29 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Our 6 year Fl banger ownership experience has been successful, saving to date, post Fl expenses and based on our 25 week winter stay, in excess of £15 - £20k on rental prices. Success, in part, is thanks to Fl friends who store Tank (yes, named the beast!) whilst we're in the UK. Advice taken from Progressive Insurance, sheriff deputy friend and a nice lady at the Fl dl dept (FLHSMV) before we bought.

A Fl temp driving licence isn't required, offering no reduced insurance premiums. It's only valid for length of stay and has to be renewed, after initial written/driving test, each time one arrives in Fl at a cost of $48 plus $15 late fee - late fee is chargeable as one isn't in Fl to renew when the temp licence expires. If the dl service centre is part of a county tax collector office there's an additional $6.25 'service charge'. Whilst taking advice the Fl dl lady and I laughed about the late fee, she advised against a superfluous Fl dl stating our UK licence is acceptable.

Progressive Insurance - they premium discount against my UK motor insurance. I was fair stunned and sceptical when the agent said they accepted a UK policy, and still await denial when, via a secure link, I email my UK policy every 2 years upon request. From research Progressive appear to be the only insurer who accept UK/foreign driving licences for insurance duration. As we're on a quiet island and Fl is a 'no blame' State I opt for cheaper cover, paying circa $400 to $450 for 6 months, but as Tank's 22 years old he's cheaper to insure. Ironically, according to a friend, Tank is a sought after SUV by younger blokes for rebuild/refurb.

We store and SORN/uninsure our UK motor, which is quite some saving (circa £275) towards Tanks expenses.