Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 21 Apr 21, 07:08 AM  
Link to this Post
Simon & Suzann
Imagineer

Decision time for Aug

Hi Guys

We've been dithering on what to do about Aug and need to make a decision we think I know only we can decide what to do but looking to see what others are doing/thoughts

Is the mask wearing going to be in place in Aug on planes and in parks or nothing concrete been said?

The potential testing faff and costs are a big put off.
As an alternative we've priced up caravans for the same time in cornwall and a few other places and it's shocking the prices plus it's guaranteed to rain

There's so many what if things, in particular the teens with us not being vaccinated and the potential that if one of us tests positive then it would be a nightmare scenario.

But we really want to go and can't press the cancel button

Is anyone else dithering like us?
Simon & Suzann is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 21, 07:11 AM  
Link to this Post
katnav
Apprentice Imagineer

Yes. We feel exactly the same as you although we are now more on the cancelling train just actually pressing the cancel button is taking some time.

The cost of the tests and the potential for someone to test positive or have to isolate on return is what made our decision.

We would LOVE to be able to go but it will have to wait a year or 2.
katnav is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 21, 07:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Dendycat
VIP Dibber

Dendycat's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 23
Yes we are the same. We go at the end of August and I’m worried about my son who starts high school 5 days after we land. If he was to test positive on return then it would be devastating. I don’t need to take a call yet as most of what I’ve booked is cancellable but I’m still struggling with the decision.
Old 21 Apr 21, 07:25 AM  
Link to this Post
bronny
VIP Dibber

Mobile

No concrete answer re masks - but Bob Chapek has said masks will be needed in some form throughout 2021. Personally I think masks will be the last thing to go in this whole covid nightmare - especially where people can’t socially distance. For us masks are a deal breaker so we’ve postponed to December 2022
POFQ December 2016
POFQ and Eagle Pointe - Sep 2018
Briar Grove villa, Hard Rock, wilderness lodge and Miami twice Christmas 2019

bronny is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 21, 07:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Simon & Suzann
Imagineer

Thx for replies guys and glad it's not just us

We're trying to be positive but also realistic at the same time. The positive only threads are great BUT we find they tend to be blinkered and cause friction if anyone suggests anything "negative" or realistic on there (not having a go at them mind as we enjoy reading them).

We too have everything booked on a cancel option except for the BA flydrive but we'll get a voucher for that but it's just lingering over us and feel we need to decide one way or the other

Me and the wife are also going end Oct into Nov as i have the Florida IronMan so that would put a guilty kind of thing on me if i don't take the kids (teens) in Aug. Bad dad
I'm not really concerned about that trip as it's only the 2 of us so lot's less faffing and we've both had our first jabs done and will have our 2nd by then. I know that doesn't stop us getting Covid but it def helps with things.
Simon & Suzann is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 21, 07:34 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
I think we will end up cancelling but I can wait until a month before with no consequences. I feel if I cancel now then I will be sat at home reading trip reports of people having a great time. Definitely have FOMO.

However, I am not at all convinced the borders will be open. It’s not just the UK that have to ok the USA. We also need the USA to open up to us.

We are ok with masks. But the cost and faff of testing concerns me a lot.

Who knows? I’d like to have an answer so I could make firm plans either way.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 21, 07:40 AM  
Link to this Post
aqualiv
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Simon & Suzann View Post
Thx for replies guys and glad it's not just us

We're trying to be positive but also realistic at the same time. The positive only threads are great BUT we find they tend to be blinkered and cause friction if anyone suggests anything "negative" or realistic on there (not having a go at them mind as we enjoy reading them).

We too have everything booked on a cancel option except for the BA flydrive but we'll get a voucher for that but it's just lingering over us and feel we need to decide one way or the other

Me and the wife are also going end Oct into Nov as i have the Florida IronMan so that would put a guilty kind of thing on me if i don't take the kids (teens) in Aug. Bad dad
I'm not really concerned about that trip as it's only the 2 of us so lot's less faffing and we've both had our first jabs done and will have our 2nd by then. I know that doesn't stop us getting Covid but it def helps with things.

Could your teens not join you on the Oct/nov trip? Would it be over half term?
Old 21 Apr 21, 07:41 AM  
Link to this Post
ScoopsAhoy
Imagineer

Sadly I think masks on the plane will definitely be in place and in the parks.
We will not cancel our west coast trip until the latest possible date if the borders are still closed but will go if they’re open.
Testing doesn’t really bother us, it is what it is and masks won’t stop us from enjoying ourselves .
ScoopsAhoy is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 21, 07:42 AM  
Link to this Post
eaglesrest
Apprentice Imagineer

Having been through this repeatedly over the past 12 months I can tell you that while you're booked you worry if you should be cancelling, and once cancelled, you worry if you should have just stuck it out, especially when its not clear what's going to happen.

My only advice is to wait until 10/05 for the announcements if you can. If it's positive and workable then demand will be even higher for August 21.

We are watching current YT vids with the kids before school so they can get a feel for what it's like now. They have no issues with what they are seeing. They are used to wearing masks daily and taking covid tests twice weekly, which is good. Just us adults that will need to adapt.

I would only expect restrictions to keep relaxing now which is a bonus, and correlated to that is likely to be more attractions opening.

We did Crete last August, and stressed about worst-case scenarios with quarantine etc, but the reality was we had a top holiday with limited impact on previous years.

The reality is next year will probably be better, that's pretty nailed on, but who wants to wait until next year? It's been rough and for us if there's a chance we can get there, we'll take it.
eaglesrest is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 21, 07:42 AM  
Link to this Post
HappyHaunt13
Excited about Disney

Personally my attitude is wait and see.

If you don’t need to cancel right now then don’t, things change daily at the moment so it’s impossible to say what will happen between now and Aug.

I see so many people changing their travel plans based on what’s happening right now and I have a feeling that some will be annoyed at themselves for not waiting a little longer.

We can change our holiday for free up to 8 weeks before travel so I’m happy to wait and see what the state of play is then. If I have to change then so be it, I’ll move it by 6 months.

In the meantime I’m paying no mind to the daily media scaremongering as none of it is based on fact. Until someone tells me definitively that I’m not going then I’m going to plan as if I am.
HappyHaunt13 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List