Notices

Old 17 May 16, 03:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Unexpectedpenny
Imagineer

Just read all your pre-trip report, sounds brilliant so far!
We're going in September (12th-29th) so I'll look out for you

Great that you'll be able to go twice next year! We're also going May 2017!
Unexpectedpenny is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 16, 07:51 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by DisneyDreamer81 View Post
I think you've made the right decision to cancel those ADRs. If it means you get an extra trip next year then that can only be a GREAT thing!
Yeah, no regrets in cancelling them to be honest. It's funny because at the time when I was making them I SO SO SO wanted to eat at all those places, I just HAD to.. now I couldn't even tell you what I had booked!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 16, 07:53 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Unexpectedpenny View Post
Just read all your pre-trip report, sounds brilliant so far!
We're going in September (12th-29th) so I'll look out for you

Great that you'll be able to go twice next year! We're also going May 2017!
Definitely do keep an eye out, I definitely suffer from resting 'witch' face but I honestly am friendly!
Awesome that you're going May 2017 too - we're looking at 29/4 - 9/5 at the moment as Aer Lingus fly Sat, Tues, Thurs from Glasgow and my Dad's really keen to do those flights, but prices will tell! I'm checking Kayak 5 times a day haha! Are you flight watching for May?
Old 7 Jun 16, 08:13 PM  
Link to this Post

General Update

Well, I'm back!
Sorry that I've been gone for a little while, I kind of lost my Florida mojo for a little while there, not because of everything specific, just being at that weird point in the planning where there's nothing really to be done and it still just seems so far away!

So, some general updates:

- I hit Double Digits
It feels like just yesterday, but actually it was 10 days ago - hoping this means the other 89 days will go past just as fast!

- I finally sorted out travel insurance. I went with LV and the policy was £78 which I feel seems a lot compared to what others have paid on here - but I combed through the policy and I'm confident with the wording and that it covers me for everything that I need it to.

- I ripped apart my entire plan (metaphorically, it's a Spreadsheet after all...) and started again. I just wasn't feeling it. I was hoppin about too much which I don't love to do as I feel it takes time out the day and with the short opening hours in September, that can be frustrating. This means that everything I've talked about in the last few posts is basically nonsense now, but oh well, I'll be back with the updated version as soon as I'm happy enough with it to share it!

-I'm debating doing this Extra Magic Morning thingy. I cancelled a lot of ADRs and kept a few, one being Crystal Palace - because it's tradition to do it. BUT, now that I'm not into characters and given that it's not exactly cheap - I'm thinking about $38 inc. tip, I wonder if I wouldn't have more fun cancelling this and trying the new EMM. I mean, it's only another *cough* $30 *cough* We'll see.

- Planning for May 2017 is a-go. I am flight watching like a maniac! Not that I'm complaining, I love it really and Dad passing the planning mantle to me is like some bizarre right of passage and I feel both happy and terrified that he trusts me with the entire trip!

- I am not doing well with shopping for holiday clothes and other items. I HATE shopping for swimsuits! I honestly need to just take a day, and go round everywhere and get sorted - I just find that living and working in the City Centre means that on my days off means the last thing I want to do on my days off is... go out into the City Centre. Bah, people everywhere. I have however picked up my Soltan while it was on special offer, so that's a good start... sort of.

- the weather has been glorious here in Glasgow which has a) made me very happy and b) taught me the hard way that I am not one of those women who can wear a full face of makeup in hot weather. I must have a sweatier than average face - is that a thing?! The hunt is on for an ultra durable mascara at least and I may, may, attempt a red lip, liquid liner look some days... but can I be bothered with the mess... hmm...

- and I erm, ordered some Zip Loc bags, I know, I know try not to faint with the excitement here. I like these big bags to separate my outfits out by day, it's a huge time saver and it's one more planning thing to do in the run up!

So where am I at with the to-do list:

- Sort out travel insurance. (In the past I have always done this at the time of booking flights, but this time around it didn't make sense to. My insurance costs are high because of my anxiety so I'd actually lose less if I just cancelled my flight now and lost the money - minus taxes - than if I took out insurance and paid the excess on a claim! ) DONE
- Get travellers cheques and dollars
- Place a Garden Grocer order,
- Buy new swimsuit
- Buy a couple of dresses for in the parks
- Buy all tolietries including sunscreen
- Buy new black Converse hi-tops (try not to faint at how expensive these are now! )
- Buy a Fitbit
- Decide on whether or not to upgrade iPhone. Currently still using an iPhone 4 but I can't updat the iOS anymore and now MDE won't run!
- Book taxi to airport
- Decide on and book airport lounge for Gatwick DONE - I'VE DECIDED NOT TO BOOK ONE
- Organise and print all paperwork
- Book FP+ at 60 days
- Wash all clothes and bags that are coming with me
- Buy all the little misc bits and pieces; adaptors, Ziploc bags etc.
- Do OLCI for Pop Century at 60 days
- Do OLCI for flights the day before
- Pre-Order meals at BOG
- Finalise itenirary
- Finalise touring plans
- Upgrade ticket to a 21 day
- Decide on whether to book EMM

So, a lot I do need to get a move on with - it's just that a lot of it is the boring 'adult' things... boo, bring on the FP+ ressies!
Old 7 Jun 16, 08:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Unexpectedpenny
Imagineer

Originally Posted by klang_kat View Post
Definitely do keep an eye out, I definitely suffer from resting 'witch' face but I honestly am friendly!
Awesome that you're going May 2017 too - we're looking at 29/4 - 9/5 at the moment as Aer Lingus fly Sat, Tues, Thurs from Glasgow and my Dad's really keen to do those flights, but prices will tell! I'm checking Kayak 5 times a day haha! Are you flight watching for May?
Haha I have that face too! I'll be the one with my husband and in laws, 99% of the time I have a mickey ice cream sandwich in my mouth so you'll know it's me

Nice! We're going 24/4 - 12/5. It's the first time just me and my DH so I'm really looking forward to it! DH booked it all through Virgin so we have flights booked already. It's also our first time on site (POFQ).
Where are you looking at staying?
Unexpectedpenny is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 16, 08:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Unexpectedpenny
Imagineer

Swimsuit shopping is also my least favourite thing. I recently found a nice one in BHS of all places, probably even cheaper now they are all closing! I also bought an R2D2 one, I'm sure it was from Sports Direct, they had quite a few different nice ones.
Old 7 Jun 16, 09:54 PM  
Link to this Post
dav220588
Imagineer

I totally get you when it comes to the plans. I've nearly changed mine about 10 times already, but I decided just to stick to the days where I've now got a park pencilled in or I'll drive myself mad haha!

Your plans are all sounding great, can't wait for the trip report
dav220588 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 16, 01:06 PM  
Link to this Post

Hello everyone, sorry that it’s been a while again, darned life getting in the way of all the Disney stuff again! Anyway, at least it means I actually have some things to update this time!

- My FP+ are all booked! This is the big update I guess. By some stroke of luck my day off just happened to fall on my FP+ day which was pretty amazing and meant I could get ready with a cup of tea and really enjoy the experience, rather than trying to frantically make them on my phone on my lunch break. I got everything I wanted with no issue really, it all went very smoothly. The only last minute faffing about I did was in deciding on my Epcot FPs. I had planned to only do Frozen Ever After once and do Soarin’ three times, but after watching videos of each I decided at the last minute to switch and actually make 3 x FP+ for Frozen Ever After!

- I also placed my Garden Grocer order. In the end I spent literally just over the $40 minimum spend. I bought water, soda… and more water, as well as a couple of bananas and giant bags of Snyder’s Pretzels to bring home! I think it probably would have been cheaper to order water from Amazon, take some bits with me and pick up some bits as I go… but really, to save £5-£10 that’s just more hassle than I want on holiday!

I will miss a big ol' pile of snacks like this, but I know travelling alone I'll barely be in the room

- I foolishly, foolishly didn’t get around to buying my currency pre-Brexit and so missed out on the good rates *sigh*. I then spent every day driving myself mad by checking and re-checking the rates – in the end I just couldn’t face weeks more of that and just caved and bought most of what I needed. I’m only planning to take about $650 this time anyway as being on the QSDP I won’t need much, and I’m not a shopper. I bought $530 in a mix of cash and TCs – I got a rate of 1.27. Ouch. I’ll buy a little more before I go.

- Shopping for the trip has come along a bit too. Bikini has been purchased – current plan is just to cover all mirrored/reflective surfaces between my room and the pool with blankets. I also bought a couple of new pairs of Converse. I ended up not getting a black pair as they’re just so expensive to buy new. Instead I went to a retro store here in Glasgow called Mr. Ben’s and picked up a couple of pairs in very, very good condition for £10 each. I got a very cool Dr. Seuss Green Eggs and Ham pair and a red and white polka dot pair that are giving off serious Minnie Mouse vibes. I also bought new socks, but probably nobody needs to hear about that.

- I decided against booking an Extra Magic Morning ticket in the end. Because I decided to be sensible with my money? No, no of course not. It’s because I realised that EMM was $69 a ticket, and MNSSHP was $72… so I booked a second MNSSHP ticket! I’ll be attending the party on September 13th and 18th. I can see the value in the Extra Magic Mornings, but for me, I just love late nights in MK and the Halloween atmosphere so much!

- OLCI for Pop Century is done, all with no issue. I’ve had mixed results with OLCI before (it not showing up on their system for example), but it’s another little milestone to mark along the countdown.

- Couple of meal changes. One, is that I’ve booked Rainforest Café for breakfast on one of my AK days. I have fond memories of eating there as a kid; it was also probably our favourite gift shop on property (which is saying something). Food wise, I’m not expecting much, but it also doesn’t cost that much so I thought what the heck. I also snapped up another pre-RD BOG ADR – taking my total up to 3. I’ve never done breakfast at BOG before but I feel like it’s good value on the QSDP so this seems like the trip to do it! And lastly I cancelled my first morning Trails End ADR (I’ll explain in a minute), and instead am going to be eating at The Wave – which is completely new to me, and I am very excited about.

- So, a big part of the reason I haven’t updated (and why I’ve basically ripped apart my entire holiday plan) is that my anxiety has been bad lately. Like, bad. Without moaning on and on about it, I’ll just say that it’s impacting big areas of my life at the moment and I’m increasingly aware that it might not magically disappear in time for Florida – so I’ve shifted loads of plans about to try and make things easier. For example, I don’t find RD terribly easy. Standing in one, hot, crowded spot for ages – and travelling alone means I can’t step out of line for a breath for a moment and leave Kenny to watch the space. So I’ve reworked my plan so I don’t need to do RD as much. If I wake up and I feel up for it, then great, I can go – but my plan doesn’t hinge on me being there so much. Part of the reason I did cancel Trails End on day one though is because it would force me to miss RD, and if there’s one day I know I’ll be so excited I won’t mind the crowds, it’s that day. It’s frustrating to have saved so hard and planned for so long to see my plans having to be stripped down and compromised, but I want to ensure I have a good time, even if that means doing less.

So that’s where I am with everything. I must admit that while I’m very excited about Disney in the abstract, I’m struggling to feel like this trip is real or is actually going to happen. I’m not sure if it’s because I had to cancel my last trip, or because my anxiety is really crippling me at the moment and it’s hard to see past it, but I’m really struggling to feel excited. I’m also behind with doing ‘real’ things for the trip like checking my luggage is ok for BA requirements, or buying plug adaptors – and it’s not like me not to be organised. I know most years, about 2-3 weeks before I am seized with a fear that I’m going to break a leg or something and not be able to go, but this year it feels different somehow. Fingers crossed it’s all just a symptom of my scrambled brain and I can relax and start to enjoy the run up soon.
Old 3 Aug 16, 02:20 PM  
Link to this Post
SmilingSammie
VIP Dibber

Hi Kitty!

Seriously loved reading this. God knows how im only coming by it now XD
I'm staying at Art of Animation from the 4th to the 14th of Septmeber solo!
If you at any point want to have breakfast or lunch one day of the trip then let me know, id love to meet you
I'm also from Glasgow and im always up for making new disney friends so if you ever wanted to do something then i'd love to :3

Have a wee look at my trip report in my signature and you'll see the kind of things that I have planned!

My First Ever Pre-Trip Report - Sept 2015
My 2nd Pre-Trip Report! - Sept 2016
My Orlando 2019 Trip Report
My Orlando Feb 2022 Trip Report
DLP - May 2013, May 2018
Florida - 1998, 2000, 2005, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2015, 2016, 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023
SmilingSammie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 16, 12:24 AM  
Link to this Post
dav220588
Imagineer

As someone who also suffers from severe anxiety at times and is travelling solo I completely understand a lot of what you're saying. It sounds like you've made a lot of sensible decisions for your trip and I'm sure you'll have a brilliant time .
dav220588 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List