Notices
Guest Services Site Questions, a tech query or just want to test something.

Old 9 Nov 18, 11:13 AM  
Link to this Post
loves2plan
VIP Dibber

PC Advice - entry level gaming

Hoping to get a bit of advice from some of the IT savvy dibbers. I'm looking to get an entry level gaming PC for my some for Christmas, but really have no idea where to start! He has a laptop that he currently uses (that he saved up and bought), but has said that he'd like a proper PC now. Games wise, he mainly uses, Sims, Minecraft, Roblox, Discord and League of Legends. Not in to Fortnite, Overwatch or COD type games.

We've got a budget of around £350, so I know it will be very entry level looking at some of the prices of gaming PCs, but would love to know what I should really be looking for so that we get him a PC that handles what he likes to do with ease. Any recommendations for specific PCs would be great too!

POFQ: Our 'once in a lifetime' trip, 31st Oct - 14th Nov 2012
SSR: 40th birthday trip, 2nd - 16th Jan 2014
SSR 2 bed villa: my mums first trip, 7th - 21st Feb 2015
POR: An unexpected Easter break, 2nd - 15th April 2016
CBR: Another unexpected Easter trip, 29th March - 12th April 2017
CBR: 18th birthday surprise trip, 21st October - 4th November 2019
Food report - the unexpected Easter QSDP extravagana! April 2017
What do we want? FOOD! When do we want it? NOW! QSDP food report, Oct 2019
loves2plan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 18, 02:13 PM  
Link to this Post
americangal
Apprentice Imagineer

Watch out for Black Friday sales. I got my son a dell gaming pc that should have been 799 and totally out of budget for 350 in Black Friday sale direct from dell.

He loves it and the graphics card, etc handles his games well. He hasn’t used his laptop since and has stopped taking his laptop to his dads as it’s no comparison.

It was similar to,this one

dell/en-uk/shop/desk...sktop/cd568025
americangal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 18, 02:48 PM  
Link to this Post
loves2plan
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by americangal View Post
Watch out for Black Friday sales. I got my son a dell gaming pc that should have been 799 and totally out of budget for 350 in Black Friday sale direct from dell.

He loves it and the graphics card, etc handles his games well. He hasn’t used his laptop since and has stopped taking his laptop to his dads as it’s no comparison.

It was similar to,this one

dell/en-uk/shop/desk...sktop/cd568025
That's great, thank you

loves2plan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 18, 09:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Noodle500
Imagineer

DH got DSs pc direct from Dell too as they had the best prices for ones with graphics cards. Check out topcashback for Dell as they have some tips about how their Black Friday Cyber Monday deals work.
Noodle500 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 18, 02:29 PM  
Link to this Post
loves2plan
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Noodle500 View Post
DH got DSs pc direct from Dell too as they had the best prices for ones with graphics cards. Check out topcashback for Dell as they have some tips about how their Black Friday Cyber Monday deals work.
I'll certainly check out the Dell deals around black Friday. Thanks for the reminder about Topcashback too

Old 10 Nov 18, 08:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Leggibone
Imagineer

Mobile

Black Friday deals, or if you know someone local that can build a gaming pc you can get something a little better for the same money (equally it’s a fairly easy thing to do with the help of the internet - lots of little widgets that will help you build the specs out)
I use an old refurbished Lenovo, but it doesn’t run minecraft well at all, in fact most laptops and cheaper desktops won’t run games well.
2014 - Rosen Inn International, Hard Rock Hotel, Yacht club and Bay Lake Tower! Mr Bears Grand Adventure, 2015- A sneaky to DLP- Sequoia Lodge, 2016- Another WDW trip... BLT, AKL, HRH and Rosen Inn - Mr Bear takes Boris to WDW, 2022 - Taking the small fry…. Coronado spring addition, 2024 - Riding solo?
Leggibone is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 18, 10:38 AM  
Link to this Post
loves2plan
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Leggibone View Post
Black Friday deals, or if you know someone local that can build a gaming pc you can get something a little better for the same money (equally it’s a fairly easy thing to do with the help of the internet - lots of little widgets that will help you build the specs out)
I use an old refurbished Lenovo, but it doesn’t run minecraft well at all, in fact most laptops and cheaper desktops won’t run games well.
Thanks, I will look for black Friday deals. However, part of my problem is that I simply don't know how hat I'm looking for when it comes to processors, RAM, memory, graphics cards etc. It's like a foreign language!

Old 11 Nov 18, 07:40 PM  
Link to this Post
pad406
VIP Dibber

pad406's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 5
PC's, especially for gaming, are one of those things in life where size does matter. As a rule of thumb the bigger number the better

So i7 is better than i5 is better than i3
16GB ram better than 8GB

And so on.

One of the most important parts of a gaming machine is the graphics card. A lot are built into the motherboard which are generally lower end and they share the memory, or partly, with the machine itself. Dedicated ones are designed to optimize frame rate and speed and will give a much better picture and flow.

The 3 things to concentrate on at the start are
Graphics Card
Processor
Memory

That Dell machine that Americangal posted it a pretty decent machine and a good example of what to look for.

And one thing it also has, size again!, is a decent case. Plenty of room for expansion there, so bits can be added as he goes along. It does have a max of 16GB ram though, which is sufficient but I'd prefer allowance for upto 32GB, so keep an eye out for that too, not just what is in the machine when you get it but how much can be added in future.

You could end up having birthdays and Christmas sorted for years to come with upgrades, add-ons etc.

And lastly, one of the good things about a decent gaming machine, is that it has the power and speed to be a really good workhorse for nearly all PC applications, where as the opposite does not always hold true. So if he's off to college, or in college, it should be well able to handle everything he needs there also.

Christmas 2018/New Year 2019 (19N) BC - RPR - BC
Christmas 2016/New Year 2017 (18N). SF, LA, Disneyland & SD
Christmas 2014/New Year 2015 (21N). BWI, Hard Rock, Beach Club
April 2012 (21N). New York, Beach Club
Christmas 2010/New Year 2011 (15N). Polynesian & AKL
pad406 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 18, 07:42 PM  
Link to this Post
loves2plan
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by pad406 View Post
PC's, especially for gaming, are one of those things in life where size does matter. As a rule of thumb the bigger number the better

So i7 is better than i5 is better than i3
16GB ram better than 8GB

And so on.

One of the most important parts of a gaming machine is the graphics card. A lot are built into the motherboard which are generally lower end and they share the memory, or partly, with the machine itself. Dedicated ones are designed to optimize frame rate and speed and will give a much better picture and flow.

The 3 things to concentrate on at the start are
Graphics Card
Processor
Memory

That Dell machine that Americangal posted it a pretty decent machine and a good example of what to look for.

And one thing it also has, size again!, is a decent case. Plenty of room for expansion there, so bits can be added as he goes along. It does have a max of 16GB ram though, which is sufficient but I'd prefer allowance for upto 32GB, so keep an eye out for that too, not just what is in the machine when you get it but how much can be added in future.

You could end up having birthdays and Christmas sorted for years to come with upgrades, add-ons etc.

And lastly, one of the good things about a decent gaming machine, is that it has the power and speed to be a really good workhorse for nearly all PC applications, where as the opposite does not always hold true. So if he's off to college, or in college, it should be well able to handle everything he needs there also.
Thank you, that's really helpful 👍

Old 12 Nov 18, 11:09 AM  
Link to this Post
pad406
VIP Dibber

pad406's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 5
Originally Posted by loves2plan View Post
Thank you, that's really helpful 👍
If you see one, drop me a PM if you want and I'll have a look as soon as I see it and give you my opinion (no warranties implied or given )

Christmas 2018/New Year 2019 (19N) BC - RPR - BC
Christmas 2016/New Year 2017 (18N). SF, LA, Disneyland & SD
Christmas 2014/New Year 2015 (21N). BWI, Hard Rock, Beach Club
April 2012 (21N). New York, Beach Club
Christmas 2010/New Year 2011 (15N). Polynesian & AKL
pad406 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List