Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 19 Jan 19, 02:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Glasgow trip
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile Keeping Revolut card frozen?

I’ve been thinking about security on my Revolut card, and I see it’s easy to freeze and unfreeze it on the app.

Is there any reason why you couldn’t keep it frozen and then just unfreeze it when you want to use it, and then freeze it again as soon as you’ve finished the transaction?
Old 19 Jan 19, 03:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Wiganer83
Getting to know the DIBB

I only recently got one for our trip in April and have froze it on the app with the plan to unfreeze it when we travel.
Wiganer83 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 19, 03:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Procrastinator
Imagineer

Mobile

That is what i did to start with. Literally unfreeze it when i was at the till paying. It works immediately.

Do be sure to have it set to allow swipe card payments. Got declined first time they did that as i had not thought to turn that on.

The only issue is if you have no signal / wifi.

So in the end i did it more freeze unfreeze as we got to / left a park.
Procrastinator is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 19, 03:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Glasgow trip
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Procrastinator View Post
That is what i did to start with. Literally unfreeze it when i was at the till paying. It works immediately.

Do be sure to have it set to allow swipe card payments. Got declined first time they did that as i had not thought to turn that on.

The only issue is if you have no signal / wifi.

So in the end i did it more freeze unfreeze as we got to / left a park.
Good point about the Wi-fi - I knew there was a flaw somewhere in my plan! Thank you for the tip about swiping - will bear that in mind
Old 19 Jan 19, 05:50 PM  
Link to this Post
jas72
VIP Dibber

Unfortunately mine hasn't been working too well when I used it on buses in Scotland firstbus took £1 then the actual fare about 45 mins later.

Same with amazon I bought 4 kindle books thinking it would be instant so unfroze and refroze the app. Not knowing that amzon again took £1 then tried to take the money sometime later. They said there was a problem with payment and they would try again later but didn't state a time.

So not great really, if companies just took the money instead of this £1 pre-charge each time it would work better.

Old 19 Jan 19, 09:29 PM  
Link to this Post

the freezing thing works well, till you forget while at the till at CiCi's and its a touch embarrassing
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 19, 02:20 AM  
Link to this Post
RickT
Imagineer

The freezing is ok for long term non usage, however for the likes of pre-auths under certain amount and vendors collecting payments in due course, its not a good idea to freeze a card and denied companies from collecting the amount due and will result in REVOLUT cancelling your card if you rack up a number of declined transactions against it.

I prefer to top up on demand so have no reason to freeze the card, i prefer to leave it this way in the event the card is cloned - leaving a card available with minimal balance will highlight soft touch transactions in the event of card fraud rather than loading it with all your holiday cash and boom, unfreeze all funds gone.

All demands on your view of banking and security.
Las Vegas 18 - Florida 18 -Holland 18 -Bratislava 18 -Florida 17 -Holland 17 -Rhodes 17 - Kos 17 - France 16-Belgium 16-Holland 16-Germany 16-Sopot Poland 15-Kos 15-DLP SQL 15-Hampton Lakes 14-Hamburg 14- Berlin 13-WestRidge Villas 12-Krakow 12-France 11-Turkey 11-Germany 10-Marbella 10-Jamaica 09-Dublin 09-Dublin 08-Paris 08-Zante Villa 08-Egypt 2008-Rhodes 2008-Sweden 08-Norway 08-Rhodes 07- Huatulco Mexico 07-DLP Magic Circus 2007-Dublin 2007-Sweden 07-Greece 06/05/04-Barcelona 04-Rhodes 02
RickT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 19, 08:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Cocobean121
Imagineer

I freeze mine all the time after I had card fraud on it, luckily after my last trip I froze the card and when I logged back on to load it up some months later I noticed two declined online transactions from Brazil! Cancelled the card and had to order another, they said they would refund the standard delivery cost, but as I needed it within a week I had to pay the full £11.99 express delivery charge which I wasn’t happy about!

I have several times tried to get money out of an atm without success and then realised its frozen when I’ve got a load of notifications on my phone.

I take the point tho about the £1 pre authorisation, I hadn’t thought of that before so will rethink in future.

Easter 2011 Legacy Park Villa fl. Aug/Sept 2013 Thousand Oaks Villa fl. April 2015 Lake Wilson Preserve Villa fl. May 2017 the sanctuary, West Haven villa Fl.
October 2019 Pier 60 & Highlands Reserve villa fl
May 2020 endless summer and Aventura
Cocobean121 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List