Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 7 Dec 18, 09:37 PM  
Link to this Post
pad406
VIP Dibber

pad406's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 5
Historical Airline Delays

Back in March, I got stuck overnight in PHL due to, what the Airline classed as weather. Honestly we were all at bit bemused as there was no snow on the ground, no storm visible and other planes were taking off.

So, to cut a very long story short, I did some subsequent digging and eventually found the American Bureau of Transportation Statistics have detailed archives on airports and airlines. Using this, I discovered that after our flight was due to depart, the same Airline dispatched 24 flights over the next 2.5 hours. I have now raised a case with the Airline and am going to use this as ammunition. Early days yet, but I am going to keep at them.

So this is a LINK to the site in case anyone else might find it useful.

Christmas 2018/New Year 2019 (19N) BC - RPR - BC
Christmas 2016/New Year 2017 (18N). SF, LA, Disneyland & SD
Christmas 2014/New Year 2015 (21N). BWI, Hard Rock, Beach Club
April 2012 (21N). New York, Beach Club
Christmas 2010/New Year 2011 (15N). Polynesian & AKL
pad406 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Dec 18, 09:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Go get em! Smacks of Ryanair to me.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Dec 18, 10:37 PM  
Link to this Post
SunbreezeFL
Imagineer

American Airlines by any chance - good luck if it’s them they have the worst customer service team I have ever come across.
SunbreezeFL is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Dec 18, 10:52 PM  
Link to this Post
pad406
VIP Dibber

pad406's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by SunbreezeFL View Post
American Airlines by any chance - good luck if it’s them they have the worst customer service team I have ever come across.
It was indeed, and I'm well geared up for a fight. That's why I have done nothing until I could get the hard evidence that I now have.

pad406 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Dec 18, 02:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Ridersmom
Imagineer

Weather can cause delays at the airport you are at, the airport the plane is departing from and any place in between. This is a big country and you cannot always see "weather" out the window. Other planes may have been taking off for places in different directions and would not encounter "weather".

when I fly home from Houston, the flight in the next gate from HOuston to Dallas is often delayed because of weather, not necessarily in Houston. But Dallas has awful storms including tornados and I would much rather be in the airport waiting than circling around my destination.
Ridersmom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Dec 18, 07:29 PM  
Link to this Post
pad406
VIP Dibber

pad406's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Ridersmom View Post
Weather can cause delays at the airport you are at, the airport the plane is departing from and any place in between. This is a big country and you cannot always see "weather" out the window. Other planes may have been taking off for places in different directions and would not encounter "weather".

when I fly home from Houston, the flight in the next gate from HOuston to Dallas is often delayed because of weather, not necessarily in Houston. But Dallas has awful storms including tornados and I would much rather be in the airport waiting than circling around my destination.
I do understand that, but in this case:

1) Planes delayed by weather when departing from another Airport is not a reason not to pay out compensation.
2) They said it was a storm in Philly area
3) 24 flights from the same Airline took off, to various locations. 1 from another airline was going to our destination, so that was not an issue either.

1 & 3 I have only learnt recently, hence the reason for my claim.

Anyway no harm in trying, worst case I don't get anywhere. Best case I get my €600 and a few pints from my 6 travelling buddies when they do the same

Lastly, and I have no other reason than my own gut feeling on this, I really do believe it was an excuse on their behalf to cancel flights as they were nowhere near full.

Old 8 Dec 18, 08:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Ridersmom
Imagineer

The US compensation is different from the EU. There is no required compensation.

transportation.gov/indiv...-cancellations

If you were on an internal US flight, you may find your self out of luck.
Ridersmom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Dec 18, 08:44 PM  
Link to this Post
pad406
VIP Dibber

pad406's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Ridersmom View Post
The US compensation is different from the EU. There is no required compensation.

transportation.gov/indiv...-cancellations

If you were on an internal US flight, you may find your self out of luck.
It was a single ticket flight from Dublin to Las Vegas through Philly, so EU261 does apply. They were shocking to be honest. We had a party of 7 in total, I was on my own then a party of 2 and 4. I got to Vegas at about 11:00am the following morning. The party of 4 were sent via Charlotte and arrived at about 6:00pm, the last 2 went to Phoenix then SF and arrived in LV just after midnight.

Old 8 Dec 18, 09:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by pad406 View Post
It was a single ticket flight from Dublin to Las Vegas through Philly, so EU261 does apply. They were shocking to be honest. We had a party of 7 in total, I was on my own then a party of 2 and 4. I got to Vegas at about 11:00am the following morning. The party of 4 were sent via Charlotte and arrived at about 6:00pm, the last 2 went to Phoenix then SF and arrived in LV just after midnight.
Absolutely disgraceful . Best of luck in your claim. Nothing better then proving liars wrong.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Dec 18, 04:54 PM  
Link to this Post
pad406
VIP Dibber

pad406's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
So, a little update.

Have had a few communications back and forward, basically them claiming that the flight cancellation was weather related and me refuting each and every time with evidence of their and other flights operating normally at the same time period.

But I think they have now made a mistake as they have just confirmed, in writing, that my flight was cancelled due to the inbound flight being cancelled. This, from everything I have found, does not constitute a weather delay as it was not my flight that was affected.

So I have now thanked them for that nugget and asked for my money

Tanks to the site I mentioned in my first post (which was the original intention of this thread) I also have information on other flights for them that were not cancelled, so that will be my next round of refutation.

As Arnie said, I'll be back

Edited at 04:55 PM.