FlorayG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 9

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Holiday for elderly mother

HI
My mom and I went to Disney every year for many years but now she has atrial fibrillation and congestive heart failure which basically means she can't walk very far and can't manage even a gentle slope so outdoors she's in a wheelchair. She also uses a commode during the night to keep her safe not having to walk to the bathroom.
She desperately wants to go on holiday again (in the UK) but I don't know how to manage the night-time bathroom thing. How do others manage on holiday? I worry about trying to get her to the ensuite bathroom when she is half asleep and her falling; also if I have to get up in the night every night I'm going to be half asleep all day myself
FlorayG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Oct 18, 11:13 PM  
Link to this Post
AhoyShipmates
Excited about Disney

Mobile

I’ve no personal experience of this but saw nobody had replied yet. I think you’ll need to find a hotel that has at least some rooms aimed at people with mobility issues. Check out silvertraveladvisor.com
AhoyShipmates is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Oct 18, 11:15 PM  
Link to this Post
coggie
Imagineer

Mobile

I'm guessing I know the answer to this but would she consider wearing incontinence pads just for the holiday
coggie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Oct 18, 11:28 PM  
Link to this Post
TGT
Imagineer

You can get pads to put on the bed in case of accidents (usually in the baby department)

There are a variety of pants available these days that are more like underwear if she's concerned about appearances but she could additionally wear these at night - though I don't know how effective they are. Made by Tena and Always.

amazon/Tena-Medium...ena+lady+pants

amazon/Always-Disc...ena+lady+pants

Just additional support for you perhaps?

Another option would be to obtain a portable camping toilet with a frame - these are designed to be portable (though they're not that small) - we used one for my mom when she was going through knee surgery and couldn't walk beyond the bed. Not sure what a hotel would make of it, but if you talked to them first. There's also the regular portable commodes which you could take and she could maybe just use if she got up in the night?

livingmadeeasy.uk/pe...nformation.htm

completecareshop/t...Anba EALw_wcB

Di Gorton
http://www.villasoutherndunes.com

Villa Southern Dunes

Modern Disney-themed villa in the Southern Dunes golf community * Private heated west-facing pool * Sleeps 10* Room for all with sofa, dining & poolside seating for 10 * 2 ensuite doubles (king & queen) * 2 Disney-themed twins * 2 Lounges * 7 Flatscreen TVs * Great games room & amazing dressing up rail

Click >here< to see our Dibb Advert
Email: info@villasoutherndunes.com Florida State License: DWE6312923

TGT is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Oct 18, 11:35 AM  
Link to this Post
FlorayG
Imagineer

FlorayG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 9

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Guidebook Reviews: 2
thanks. there's no way she will wear incontinence pads or similar, she WILL get up. I was wondering about taking her commode but it's a bit embarrassing for her taking it through the lobby...
FlorayG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Oct 18, 11:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Merryweather
Imagineer

You can buy a thing called a Sheree - it’s like the bottles they use for men in hospital but designed for ladies. Check it out on Amazon and see if you think she would use it!