Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 16 Jan 19, 10:03 AM  
Link to this Post
craigstacey
slightly serious Dibber

SSR or POR for 7 nights

Considering SSR preferred studio or POR mansions for a week in December.

Pros/cons of each? I'm hoping to rely on Disney transport for this week and plan on visiting all parks (unlikely to park hop) & Disney Springs. Also very likely to do After Hours at all the parks where this is available.

Price is about the same as would rent points if I decide on SSR.
Chatham Park + Boardwalk Studio December 2019

Craig
craigstacey is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 19, 10:44 AM  
Link to this Post
mooray27
Excited about Disney

No idea about POR but we really liked SSR. The table service place there, the turf club, is really good. It’s great for easy access to Disney Springs.
mooray27 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 19, 10:57 AM  
Link to this Post
craigstacey
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by mooray27 View Post
No idea about POR but we really liked SSR. The table service place there, the turf club, is really good. It’s great for easy access to Disney Springs.
Sounds good, thanks.
Did you use the buses to the parks and if yes was it a good service frequency wise?

Craig
craigstacey is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 19, 11:02 AM  
Link to this Post
KRBarnard
Very Serious Dibber

KRBarnard's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Having stayed at both I would rather return to POR. It's a much smaller resort so the buses were significantly less crowded, the distance from the main reception and eating areas was reasonable even from the furthest point, and as it isn't DVC like SSR, we didn't get bothered by phone calls every day asking us about signing up to be DVC members.
Gateway Inn '97 Radisson Barcelo '99 Quality Inn Plaza '01 Quality Inn Int'l '03 La Quinta Inns&Suites '05 B.W. Movieland '07 Holiday Inn '08 & '09 Indian Creek '10 & '11 Vista Cay '12 Rosen Inn @ Pointe and Miami '13 Vista Cay '13,'14,'15,'16 CBR '16 Tampa, POR & SSR '17 OKW + Vista Cay '18 Windsor Hills '19 Vista Cay'22
KRBarnard is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 19, 04:53 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

SSR is long overdue its refurb, current rooms are tired. It is due to start this year but I don't know how far along they'll be by December to know your chances of getting a new room. If it's for more than a couple though, keep in mind that the second bed at SSR is a sofa bed. In the new rooms, it'll be a pull down bed like at Pop but in the old ones, it's a pull out so may not be the best to sleep on.

POR is mid-refurb and due to be finished around the fall by the looks if it - there's already been some delays, so don't know if it'll hit that. Mansions are the last buildings to be renovated. Note that you can't specifically book mansions except for the princess themed rooms (unless the booking categories have changed recently) so you may end up in an AB room.

POFQ would be my recommendation is an alternative if available, its refurb was completed last year. Even smaller than POR, only 7 buildings. And dedicated buses (single stop) during peak times.

All have good access to DS by boat, SSR has the bonus of also being walkable - especially if you're on the DS side of the resort. Closest rooms are preferred though, so will cost more points.

Edited at 05:02 PM.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 19, 05:37 PM  
Link to this Post
miked1e
Imagineer

miked1e's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Depends what is most important for your stay. Having stayed at both then I would always go back to POR.

The only reason I would suggest SSR is if walking to Disney Springs or having a kitchenette in the studio is important (plus bigger rooms).

If not then I would go for POR. Everything about the resort is superior IMHO to SSR. Better food options, much better atmosphere, smaller, nicer grounds, also has boat option to DS.

Busses were fine from both, we had no bad experiences to tell of at either.

These were stays in 2008 (POR) and 2010 (SSR) so a little while ago! This year we are staying at POFQ as we much prefer the smaller resorts / hotels.
Old 16 Jan 19, 08:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Inky
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Liked POR had a mansion room 2016 , stayed SSR Oct 18 Grandstand, was fab, buses good and I requested the building and got my request, so u prefer SSR , nothing wrong with the studio we had, overlooking golf course.
Inky is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 19, 09:39 PM  
Link to this Post
tigerfee
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I really liked both these resorts.
SSR was more peaceful and walkable to Disney springs.
POR had a really nice atmosphere and I liked the food court.
I'd go back to either.😀
tigerfee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 19, 09:24 AM  
Link to this Post
craigstacey
slightly serious Dibber

Thanks for the input. Still not decided but will look at POFQ too...
Final decision Feb payday with (hopefully) a bonus to pay for it!

Craig