Notices
Photo, Video & Vlogs Photography, Video and Vlog discussions

Old 19 Feb 18, 08:23 PM  
Link to this Post

Camera upgrade, DSLR or not?

Had my trusty Nikon D90 from launch approx 9 years ago.

Mainly choose it because it was one of the first to offer HD video recording (albeit 720p)

It still takes nice pictures but want to upgrade, again with the ability to take video footage, this time 4k.

I'm brand agnostic but my dilema appears to be whether or not I stick with a DSLR or move to something such as the Panasonic GX8.

I love some of the high quality you tuber videos and would love to capture our family holidays in such a high quality also, along with something that takes high quality photos.

Help me fellow dibbers, anyone been in a similar situation? or anyone able to recommend some cameras?

Thanks
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 18, 08:39 PM  
Link to this Post
cartoonp
VIP Dibber

cartoonp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 14

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 45
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Hi just to give you some ideas have a look at this

techradar/news/the-1...ameras-in-2017
cartoonp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 18, 11:41 PM  
Link to this Post
the_weird_one
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

My gut as a photographer says don't upgrade your SLR and keep it for still photographs, but look to a compact camera with a 1" sensor for the video.

Reasoning behind this? Well simply the glass in front of the sensors; good glass will always produce better images than average glass on better sensors and the best glass is on slr' for the moment.

My own kit is a Canon 7D with either Canon L lenses or Sigma EX and a Sony RX100 MK iii because I have no interest in going to 4K for my video work, however the MK iv does 4K I like the Sony compacts as the have a built in pop up view finder when needed due to sun levels but can fit in a jacket pocket a lot easier than the Canon G5 with its viewfinder in the SLR location.
the_weird_one is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 18, 02:43 PM  
Link to this Post
andyb1126
Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by the_weird_one View Post
My gut as a photographer says don't upgrade your SLR and keep it for still photographs, but look to a compact camera with a 1" sensor for the video.

Reasoning behind this? Well simply the glass in front of the sensors; good glass will always produce better images than average glass on better sensors and the best glass is on slr' for the moment.

My own kit is a Canon 7D with either Canon L lenses or Sigma EX and a Sony RX100 MK iii because I have no interest in going to 4K for my video work, however the MK iv does 4K I like the Sony compacts as the have a built in pop up view finder when needed due to sun levels but can fit in a jacket pocket a lot easier than the Canon G5 with its viewfinder in the SLR location.
My setup almost mirrors yours perfectly. 7D for when Im shooting football and going out in the car. But my RX100 MkV is perfect for having in my pocket. I shoot stock photos and have many sales from last years trip to Florida. Shots that I wouldnt have got with my 7D because I just cant be doing with the hassle of lugging it around.
andyb1126 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 18, 03:03 PM  
Link to this Post
the_weird_one

Mobile

Originally Posted by andyb1126 View Post
My setup almost mirrors yours perfectly. 7D for when Im shooting football and going out in the car. But my RX100 MkV is perfect for having in my pocket. I shoot stock photos and have many sales from last years trip to Florida. Shots that I wouldnt have got with my 7D because I just cant be doing with the hassle of lugging it around.
The Mk V wasn’t out when I got the Mk III but that is a lovely compact

I have to admit I started carrying slr’s around when I was 6 so don’t find for photography use lugging them around to be a chore so I’ll still be taking my gripped 7 with the 10-20 f3.5 EX and 24-105 f4 L for my photography needs and the RX for vlogging / video needs
the_weird_one is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 18, 03:09 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

My daughter faced this dilemma for Xmas this year. She loves photography and had a Nikon bridge camera. We offered to buy an upgrade as her Xmas present but she was undecided whether to get a DSLR or a compact. She finally decided on Panasonic Lumix compact camera as it had 4k recording which she wanted for making vlogs etc. The compact is really easy to take around too. She is really pleased with the quality of her choice
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 18, 03:48 PM  
Link to this Post
KeithOP
Serious Dibber

I've been in love with photography since I got my first camera aged 7 (long time ago, tiny little film camera with flash bulbs that only worked once and then needed to use the next one)

I dont mind carrying the weight of a DSLR but as my iphone X takes such great photos now, I'm struggling to justify a DSLR or even a compact to be perfectly honest!

Now, a bridge camera with a huge zoom would certainly make some sense for holiday but a tiny camera like a RX100 MkV, for those who have that range of camera, do you feel it really provides a far superior image to a good phone these days?
KeithOP is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 18, 04:35 PM  
Link to this Post
andyb1126
Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by KeithOP View Post
I've been in love with photography since I got my first camera aged 7 (long time ago, tiny little film camera with flash bulbs that only worked once and then needed to use the next one)

I dont mind carrying the weight of a DSLR but as my iphone X takes such great photos now, I'm struggling to justify a DSLR or even a compact to be perfectly honest!

Now, a bridge camera with a huge zoom would certainly make some sense for holiday but a tiny camera like a RX100 MkV, for those who have that range of camera, do you feel it really provides a far superior image to a good phone these days?
Hi Keith. I would say that depends on what you want to use the images for. Were it not for the fact that I shoot stock photography, I would be more than happy to take all my holiday snaps on my phone. Indeed I did exactly that on our first two trips to Florida. They back up instantly to my Google Drive and the quality is perfectly good enough for even reasonable enlargements.

The RX100 was really only purchased for shooting stock. I did try to take my DSLR into the parks on a couple of occasions but I felt like I was turning my holiday into a photography trip. With the RX, I can drop it into my pocket, grab some stock shots while in the parks and its all quick and easy.
andyb1126 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 18, 05:17 PM  
Link to this Post
the_weird_one

Originally Posted by KeithOP View Post

I think it depends what you want to use your photographs for, myself I've yet to see a photo from any phone camera that holds up to high quality printing (admittedly i've only got up to iPhone 7 Plus images to try against) where as I can and do print up to A3 with both the RX100 and my 7D.

However if all your doing is looking at photos on a screen or for use in social media then modern smart phone photographs are acceptable though still lacking in a lot of features that I use and change on every photo - Aperture and Shutter speed being the two big ones that you can't do on phones as the apertures are fixed
Old 26 Feb 18, 07:13 PM  
Link to this Post
georgemac
Imagineer

georgemac's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Glad to see such positive things being said about the Sony RX100 - I bought a MK3 just before Xmas to replace my HX60V (downside no viewfinder - upside long lens). I am thinking about adding the HX90V to give me 2 compacts, and one with a reasonably good zoom. These use same batteries charger etc and have very similar controls.

My DSLR (Canon 60D) and the 24-105L and 70-200L and speedlite flash hardly ever leave the cupboard, and have never been on holiday with me - thinking of selling them - hardly used.

To the OP - good luck with your decision.
1997 Airtours, 1999 BA Best Western LBV, 2001 Westridge Villa, 2005 Westridge Villa (Trip Report)
georgemac is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List