Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 14 Mar 18, 11:27 AM  
Link to this Post
Lemmonie
Excited about Disney

BA Flight with Autism - Seat Booking

Hi y'all

Just as a heads up if you have a child with Autism you are able to pre-book ALL seats for your family for free.

I had to have a little mini row with the call handler as their was a little language barrier and he didnt know what Autism was!

They tried to just book his seat for free and make us pay for our but i insisted and we got all four of us booked inbound and outbound.

I dont think he understood that due to DS's disability it meant we had to fill up the seats next to him to support him but also to make sure no other passengers had the unlucky opportunity of sitting next to him! hehe
Lemmonie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Mar 18, 11:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Mobile

Originally Posted by Lemmonie View Post
Hi y'all

Just as a heads up if you have a child with Autism you are able to pre-book ALL seats for your family for free.

I had to have a little mini row with the call handler as their was a little language barrier and he didnt know what Autism was!

They tried to just book his seat for free and make us pay for our but i insisted and we got all four of us booked inbound and outbound.

I dont think he understood that due to DS's disability it meant we had to fill up the seats next to him to support him but also to make sure no other passengers had the unlucky opportunity of sitting next to him! hehe
This I'm sure will be very handy for other travellers so hopefully they will see this and it help them, we've travelled with thomson and Thomas Cook who do similar, thomson do what they call welfare seats where the person with disability and their carer get prebooked seats for free, when we did ours out of the four seats we got two free and the other two they only charged us the child rate too 👍. We have also flown with easyJet fairly recently and they were very helpful too
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Mar 18, 12:59 PM  
Link to this Post
speedwayfan
Imagineer

speedwayfan's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
We've flown BA to Tampa a couple of times with our DGS who has Autism and always been able to book all our seats free of charge.

He is flying again with BA in August (this time with Dad and family) and I rang on Sunday to allocate seating. We're flying out a couple of days earlier this time. Once again they allocated seats free of charge with no problems but, like the OP, there was a language barrier so he really didn't understand what Autism was. However, he was very thorough, asked lots of questions and met all of my requests.

I think it just depends who you speak to on the day and how well they are trained with special assistance but they do seem to get there in the end.

Jill
speedwayfan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 18, 04:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Galela1986
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Megandllsmum View Post
thomson do what they call welfare seats where the person with disability and their carer get prebooked seats for free.
We had free seats for virgin, ba, aa and our up and coming trip is with tui and as above you do get welfare seats, the person with the disability and carer free, but when I explained my son needed 2:1 carer they gave a second carer free.. just incase this is the case with others,
Galela1986 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Apr 18, 04:06 PM  
Link to this Post
tomdan
Imagineer

Mobile

Are you able to book certain seats, and do they tell you there and then what your seat numbers are? Just thinking with TUI you are only able to book your seats together at 90 days at your return flight date
tomdan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Apr 18, 04:51 PM  
Link to this Post
amandajane10
Imagineer

amandajane10's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Virgin and TC will do this aswell
Villa Holiday May 2018
Planning Easter 2020
amandajane10 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Apr 18, 04:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Dazed
VIP Dibber

Well, I never knew this!

We have been on approximately 30 or so flights with our son and have never been told this.

We are booking a flight with Norwegian so it will be interesting to see if they will accommodate booking our seats, especially as myself and DH are not flying on the return leg, my son is flying home with my parents.

Edit: Please can I ask, what are the requirements? My son is diagnosed ADHD, and in process of Autism assessment. I have documentation from CAMHS, school and EP if needed.

Edited at 04:58 PM.
Dazed is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Apr 18, 05:00 PM  
Link to this Post
nadya
Imagineer

We have done this too on virgin and Ba-all the family seated together which is very helpful as we have 2 sons with asd.not tried with Thomas cook but we were all sat together anyway
nadya is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Apr 18, 05:02 PM  
Link to this Post
nadya
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Dazed View Post
Well, I never knew this!

We have been on approximately 30 or so flights with our son and have never been told this.

We are booking a flight with Norwegian so it will be interesting to see if they will accommodate booking our seats, especially as myself and DH are not flying on the return leg, my son is flying home with my parents.

Edit: Please can I ask, what are the requirements? My son is diagnosed ADHD, and in process of Autism assessment. I have documentation from CAMHS, school and EP if needed.
Hi
We have never been asked for proof on any airline we have used(thomson/Thomas cook/virgin/Ba/delta/aa) however haven't flown with Norwegian
nadya is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Apr 18, 06:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Galela1986
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by tomdan View Post
Are you able to book certain seats, and do they tell you there and then what your seat numbers are? Just thinking with TUI you are only able to book your seats together at 90 days at your return flight date

This is incorrect information, we spoke to the welfare team in January for our August Orlando and tui welfare team booked and gave us our seat details there and then.

Give them a call on this number 02034512585.
Galela1986 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List